Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 26,726 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Cherry Hill, I moved about 2 weeks ago.. loving it so far!

I have run into my first issue, I have searched the forums but haven't found anything relating to the information I am looking for. Yesterday I went to Thomas Paine which will be the school my 8yr old and 5 year old will attend this fall. I am not taking them out of school so late in the year so they will remain in the Philadelphia Catholic school they are currently in until the school year is over. I have no problem with my soon-to-be 3rd grader, but my kindergartener is a different story. I didn't realize all the schools only have part time kindergarten!
I have the information on the EDCC program but it is costly once you factor in that then I would be paying for the SACC program for my older one as well... the cost is comparable to what I am paying now for their Catholic school tuition (which is really something I want to avoid). Part of me thinks it is best to have them in the Cherry Hill school, because it is undeniably a better curriculum. But a huge part of me is concerned because both my husband and I work in Philadelphia, and we would be so far away with all of the transporting my kindergartener would have to do on a daily basis. If I understand the process correctly they would get picked up and brought to school; at about noon they would transport my 5yr old to a different school for EDCC. So then I would have them ending the day at 2 different schools. I am trying to think of what is best for my girls, and I believe this would be the best move for my 3rd grader especially since I finally got her to a place where she will be "okay" with changing schools, but this just seems like a lot for a 5yr old (and her mommy)...

What do other families do, who are in this situation?? Any help, advice, resources, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
Hi,

I am sorry for your frustration. I wish I knew what to tell you but please remember this: Kindergarten is only one year. Cherry Hill schools are marvelous. If you can keep that mantra (just one year, just one year), you'll be able to see through this.

Another option would to place your youngest in a private all-day kindergarten (Goddard School, others) but I wouldn't recommend that as it is costly.

Good luck and welcome

Shanny

Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 26,726 times
I'm sure it'll work out I'm just concerned on when. I've somewhat made the decision that I want them in Cherry hill it's just hard to put so much trust and confidence in a place I Just move to. Especially when I'm in another state working.

Thanks for responding you seem to be Ms. Cherry Hill, I was hoping to hear from you

Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
A lot of parent are finding this to be an issue with Kindergarten, not just in Cherry Hill. We are in Mt Laurel and I know that lots of parent have their kids going to private Kindergarten because it makes more sense. When you factor in the cost of having to pay for before or after school care and traveling, it's better to use private kindergarten.

Depending on what direction you are coming from, I highly recommend Excel Learning Center if you are going with private Kindergarten.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjJones View Post
I'm sure it'll work out I'm just concerned on when. I've somewhat made the decision that I want them in Cherry hill it's just hard to put so much trust and confidence in a place I Just move to. Especially when I'm in another state working.

Thanks for responding you seem to be Ms. Cherry Hill, I was hoping to hear from you

*blush*

Shanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia