Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 PM

250 posts, read 905,403 times

Advertisements

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...SINESS/1060336

That area (Exit 5/NJTPK) is already quite void of retail compared to areas to its sides: Mt.Laurel/Moorestown (exit 4) and Hamilton/Lawrenceville (exit 7). I suppose Bensalem, PA would be the other side, but there is a toll and state change.

Perhaps its sloppy management by the mall owner. The mall hasn't been renovated, and looks like a relic from 1982. Majority of the stores are very urban wear oriented.

JCPenney and Sears are the other anchors, but as far as national chains, the stores like Victoria Secret and Foot Locker haven't ever it seems been remodeled.

I'll wonder how JCPenney will do, without Macy's. Either the loss of the other major dept. store will bring an uptick in business to JCPenney, or the entire mall suffers more and JCPenney doesn't gain more customers. I'm assuming Sears will still get customers who need tires and batteries, and other hard goods.

Outside the mall, there is a nearby Wal-Mart, Target and Kohls in newer shopping centers, but there is no Barnes & Noble, Best Buy and a number of chains and restaurants around.

Just a thought-why isn't Burlington/Exit 5 NJTPK not nearly as prosperous as Mt.Laurel/Exit 4 and Hamilton-Lawrenceville/Exit-7? I wonder if this ghetto mall is what gives an image to this area, and businesses are wary of opening shop there, and people choose to live elsewhere, office parks aren't built, because of the lack of anything that seems comfortable.

It otherwise seems to be a prime location. It's about 1 hour 30 mins from New York, about the same distance areas in CT and Central Jersey Shore line, that benefit claiming some New York influence, are to New York. It also is very close to the PA Turnpike, and it's not that bad of commute into Philly either. Not only that, but the area is aesthetic, or atleast for meeting a NJ suburban standard with an abundance of trees, and not too old development. The Burlington Center Mall, for example, and many other areas in Burlington Township look quite nice.

Last edited by subwayfan; 01-06-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,906,106 times
I was the manager of a retail store (blue chip company) in that mall back around 1987 and I hated every minute of being there. You could roll a bowling ball down the corridors and not hit a shopper.

Back then, the area around that mall was too rural to support the businesses located there. It sounds like it never really got any better.

Believe me, I took advantage of the first opportunity I had to transfer from that position and get back up to the Exit 11 area.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
i haven't been to that mall in forever, I don't even remember a Macy's being there. Was it the former Strawbridge and Clothier?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,906,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i haven't been to that mall in forever, I don't even remember a Macy's being there. Was it the former Strawbridge and Clothier?
Yep, Macy's is in the former Strawbridge & Clothier spot in the mall. In fact, the mall's website still says the former name on their own map!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia