Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 AM

34 posts, read 94,059 times

Advertisements

Anybody know about the safety, education and diversity of these neighborhoods? Moorestown, Pennsauken, Lumberton.....I keep hearing about how good Mt. laurel, Cherry Hill, Marlton, Vorhees, and haddonfield is but If I can't find a home in these neighborhoods, where is the next best place closest to Mt. Laurel? Can anybody provide and info on these places please? We'll being seeing Realtors next week to buy a home before June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,726,641 times
Valawny~ You have so many questions about many towns, why not rent a home for a year in each area that you have the most interest in? Then you can make a final decision on the place that works for you and your family before you purchase a home.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 AM

34 posts, read 94,059 times
Default Who has time for that?

I'm guessing the people in this forum for the most part live in Jersey....So who ever lives in these areas can give me the best advice or input....Peace.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM

8 posts, read 20,877 times
I currently live in Merchantville a small little town between pennsauken and cherry hill. you can get a lot of house for your money and the property taxes are a little lower than surrounding areas. The school district is pennsauken which if you look at school statistics just doens't measure up to the surrounding areas. There are some great private schools near here but of course they will be pricey.

Cherry Hill, Haddon twp, Haddon heights, Lenape district (mt laurel), Moorestown are all great school districts, but the property taxes reflect that.

Lumberton is a cute little town, but their high school is R.V. Which doesnt have a great reputation either.

If you look at www.greatschools.com you can see the ratings of all of these districts. having said all that I know a lot of people who are very successful people and went to RV and Pennsauken.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,592,045 times
Try Cinnaminson. (08077) You should be able to find something cheaper than those towns, but still have a great school system.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,782,013 times
except the op is black and he was looking towards a diverse community/school,, Cinnaminson is not diverse at all... He was concerned at his kids being out of place and possible 'issues' being so..

Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 3,741,749 times
I went to Pennsauken high. It is horrible. I think the last rankings had it as 290 out of 316 in NJ (beat camden, newark, JC, passaic, ...). In your list, Moorestown is a great town, better than anything else that you mentioned, so if you can find one there and not in Mt Laurel, I would be surprised.If I had to live in that area again. Moorestown (Burlington County) and Haddenfield would be my top choices. I also agree with the person that said Cinnaminson (Burlington County, lived there after high school). It touches both Pennsauken (Camden County) and Moorestown, but it is worlds apart from Pennsauken. Cherry Hill is ok, but can be snotty for no good reason (also camden county)

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
except the op is black and he was looking towards a diverse community/school,, Cinnaminson is not diverse at all... He was concerned at his kids being out of place and possible 'issues' being so..

Yo Frank.. I seem to have glossed right over that LOL.

Palmyra may be a better fit. That's a superior town to Lumberton and definately superior to Pennsauken IMO.

A quick google search looks like 14.3 percent black which kinda mirrors the general population.

Just an FYI to the OP. If you look in Palmyra, most of the black folks live near the HS, not trying to be racial or anything, just stating a fact. I went to Palmyra HS and most of my friends who happend to be black, lived nearby LOL.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,782,013 times
I agree with Bill. Palmyra is where I would be looking too.. We almost bought there but the house was too old for our tastes.. Otherwise it would have been our town..

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Yo Frank.. I seem to have glossed right over that LOL.

Palmyra may be a better fit. That's a superior town to Lumberton and definately superior to Pennsauken IMO.

A quick google search looks like 14.3 percent black which kinda mirrors the general population.

Just an FYI to the OP. If you look in Palmyra, most of the black folks live near the HS, not trying to be racial or anything, just stating a fact. I went to Palmyra HS and most of my friends who happend to be black, lived nearby LOL.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Same... we lived in a twin in Riverton. Beautiful house but a royal pain in the rear to keep up with. These houses out here at least have modern wiring/plumbing. Whenever I needed fix something in that house, it was never a standard size or fit and required 10 times as much effort and 12 trips to Schwerings LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia