Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,809 posts, read 34,341,930 times
Reputation: 10256

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So you did not recommend Voorhees because of Eastern, but suggested Pitman, Haddon Heights and Kingsway (Swedesboro)? Don't get me wrong, they are all good schools, but Eastern is just as good and probably better than all three of them, and a quick look at the numbers back that up. Eastern had higher math/verbal SAT scores than all three of them, and Haddon Heights and Kingsway were actually just about at the state average. It also had a much higher percentage of students going on to 4-year colleges. It actually had arguably better numbers than Cherry Hill West as well.

Just curious, what makes you think that Eastern High School "isn't great"?
I lived in South Jersey for over 40 years & Eastern never had a good reputation, because of student behavior. That fits in the equation.

Eastern's reputation was talked about for years. One of my neighbors in Cherry Hill was divorced & was sick about his kids going to Eastern. He used to talk about what was going on there. When his oldest got married, he bought the house next to me from his father who moved down the street to his deceased mothers' home. The son would talk about what was going on at Eastern to me, because younger siblings of some of his friends were still going there. I'm not going to elaborate further, but unless they've cleaned up their act considerably, in the last 2 years, I won't recommend the school.

Reread what I said about Swedesboro. I did not make a recommendation of their schools but did say that is a miserable commute.

Pitman's schools rank well in the state. Haddon Heights is known to have a good school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 PM
 
6,321 posts, read 10,219,047 times
Reputation: 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I lived in South Jersey for over 40 years & Eastern never had a good reputation, because of student behavior. That fits in the equation.

Eastern's reputation was talked about for years. One of my neighbors in Cherry Hill was divorced & was sick about his kids going to Eastern. He used to talk about what was going on there. When his oldest got married, he bought the house next to me from his father who moved down the street to his deceased mothers' home. The son would talk about what was going on at Eastern to me, because younger siblings of some of his friends were still going there. I'm not going to elaborate further, but unless they've cleaned up their act considerably, in the last 2 years, I won't recommend the school.

Reread what I said about Swedesboro. I did not make a recommendation of their schools but did say that is a miserable commute.

Pitman's schools rank well in the state. Haddon Heights is known to have a good school system.
I lived in South Jersey for 25 years until last year and never heard of Eastern having a bad reputation. The only bad thing I remembered was when some kid said "bomb" in the airport coming back from their senior trip.

I'm sure whatever you're talking about, I'm assuming fights, drugs, etc., happens at nearly every other school in South Jersey.

To me, the most important thing when saying you want "good schools" is academic performance, where Eastern does not disappoint, and is superior to Pitman, Haddon Heights, and probably even Cherry Hill West. Not as big a deal but worth noting is that they're in the top 5, if not the best, of overall sports team performance in SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2010, 01:17 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,809 posts, read 34,341,930 times
Reputation: 10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I lived in South Jersey for 25 years until last year and never heard of Eastern having a bad reputation. The only bad thing I remembered was when some kid said "bomb" in the airport coming back from their senior trip.

I'm sure whatever you're talking about, I'm assuming fights, drugs, etc., happens at nearly every other school in South Jersey.

To me, the most important thing when saying you want "good schools" is academic performance, where Eastern does not disappoint, and is superior to Pitman, Haddon Heights, and probably even Cherry Hill West. Not as big a deal but worth noting is that they're in the top 5, if not the best, of overall sports team performance in SJ.
Mainly fights.

Eastern's reputation was always well known in Cherry Hill because Cherry Hill got the kids from Ashland. From time to time there would be an attempt on the part of the state to send the kids from Ashland to Eastern & the people in Ashland would raise a ruckus, citing the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM
 
14,780 posts, read 43,402,250 times
Reputation: 14621
I don't think Eastern is a "bad" school on paper. However, having known a couple people who went there, including my wife's cousin who was a more "popular" student, the personal experience of each student differs greatly. In general Eastern has a caste/clique system that seems to be very ingrained into the ethos of the school and permeates even into the teachers and administration.

Your success is determined as much by your parents pocketbook as it is by your own hardwork and determination, unless of course you are a gifted athlete and then exceptions are made. The school is large, even bigger then the "Indian" schools and it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. I believe at last count there were over 4k students in total split between the 9/10 and 11/12 schools. Drugs are an insidious problem and are very common place. It's a weekly ritual to pop over to whoever's mansion is empty since the parents are in Aspen or some other place and enjoy a weekend of coke fueled debauchery.

The caste system as it were means that the richest students are free to do what they want and suffer little consequence while other students have the book thrown at them for the same infraction. It is my understanding that recently it has been the Lamberti boys (of the restraunt family) that pretty much run the school and you can often find them and their cadre gathered around a cluster of M3 BMW's in the parking lot at all hours.

All of this is really immaterial as it is very possible for an individual to work hard and get a good education, I just think that most people don't view it as a healthy social environment. The issues exist everywhere, but it seems to be the scale and the school administrations tolerance that is the difference at Eastern.

I don't have personal experience in this, only what I have heard and been told by others. I wouldn't write off sending my kids there entirely, but it raises a few eyebrows when more than a couple people mention the issues there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,809 posts, read 34,341,930 times
Reputation: 10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't think Eastern is a "bad" school on paper. However, having known a couple people who went there, including my wife's cousin who was a more "popular" student, the personal experience of each student differs greatly. In general Eastern has a caste/clique system that seems to be very ingrained into the ethos of the school and permeates even into the teachers and administration.

Your success is determined as much by your parents pocketbook as it is by your own hardwork and determination, unless of course you are a gifted athlete and then exceptions are made. The school is large, even bigger then the "Indian" schools and it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. I believe at last count there were over 4k students in total split between the 9/10 and 11/12 schools. Drugs are an insidious problem and are very common place. It's a weekly ritual to pop over to whoever's mansion is empty since the parents are in Aspen or some other place and enjoy a weekend of coke fueled debauchery.

The caste system as it were means that the richest students are free to do what they want and suffer little consequence while other students have the book thrown at them for the same infraction. It is my understanding that recently it has been the Lamberti boys (of the restraunt family) that pretty much run the school and you can often find them and their cadre gathered around a cluster of M3 BMW's in the parking lot at all hours.

All of this is really immaterial as it is very possible for an individual to work hard and get a good education, I just think that most people don't view it as a healthy social environment. The issues exist everywhere, but it seems to be the scale and the school administrations tolerance that is the difference at Eastern.

I don't have personal experience in this, only what I have heard and been told by others. I wouldn't write off sending my kids there entirely, but it raises a few eyebrows when more than a couple people mention the issues there.
Like you, I have always gotten my information on Eastern from others.

I also was aware of the caste system which, to my knowledge, involved money & geography. That seems to be a problem, to varying degrees, with the regional schools, but I never heard as many negatives for the others as for Eastern. Any of these problems exist in any high school, but they seem to be magnified at Eastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
 
6,321 posts, read 10,219,047 times
Reputation: 3835
NJGOAT, I think you just described 98% of the schools in the state...except for maybe the BMW part.

Yes it is a big school, but according to wikipedia as of 2007-08 the enrollment was 2,060 (including all grades 9-12).

It also had links to NJ Monthly and Philadelphia Magazine which in 2008 both ranked it as the 4th best public high school in SJ (behind Haddonfield, Moorestown and Cherry Hill East respectively). So no, on paper it is not a bad school, it is a very good school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM
 
14,780 posts, read 43,402,250 times
Reputation: 14621
If we are to only rate schools based on test scores and graduation rates, then it is a good to excellent school and I wouldn't argue that point at all. I think what southbound and I were driving at is that there is a darker side to Eastern that is well known in the area and it is something that parents with lesser means might want to consider.

If you can afford $200k for a house, you can easily live in Voorhees or one of the Eastern sending districts. However, it may not be the best move considering the social contstucts of Eastern Regional. There are many good/smart/hardworking kids who have been forced into a miserable experience at that school since they didn't have the pocketbook to belong and get the preferential treatment. Yes, these issues exist everywhere, but it is my understanding that not only is it insidious at Eastern, it is also tacitly allowed by the teachers and administrators.

There is far more to a good or bad school than what one can glean from statistical data. I think southbound and I are simply trying to show that Eastern is one such school in this area that is noted for a lot of issues despite it's squeaky clean appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,809 posts, read 34,341,930 times
Reputation: 10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
If we are to only rate schools based on test scores and graduation rates, then it is a good to excellent school and I wouldn't argue that point at all. I think what southbound and I were driving at is that there is a darker side to Eastern that is well known in the area and it is something that parents with lesser means might want to consider.

If you can afford $200k for a house, you can easily live in Voorhees or one of the Eastern sending districts. However, it may not be the best move considering the social contstucts of Eastern Regional. There are many good/smart/hardworking kids who have been forced into a miserable experience at that school since they didn't have the pocketbook to belong and get the preferential treatment. Yes, these issues exist everywhere, but it is my understanding that not only is it insidious at Eastern, it is also tacitly allowed by the teachers and administrators.

There is far more to a good or bad school than what one can glean from statistical data. I think southbound and I are simply trying to show that Eastern is one such school in this area that is noted for a lot of issues despite it's squeaky clean appearance.
That's exactly right, NJGOAT. I was trying to be discrete about it.

I graduated from Cherry Hill West in 1969. It was the last class to include the whole town. There was a buzz going on that year that the state wanted to pull the kids from Ashland that year & the outcry from Ashland was very loud.

The problems with Eastern date back at least that long. That was long before Voorhees got the big money developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
32,699 posts, read 35,834,430 times
Reputation: 43330
The Caste System exists in all of the schools. Eastern is a good school, but I think that there is a bigger chasm between the haves and the have nots than there is in some of the other districts. Seniors drive Beemers into designated parking; anybody who has cash can buy drugs. It's pretty much the same as every other good school in the area and the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
 
681 posts, read 1,503,129 times
Reputation: 257
Just to chime in. When I referred to eastern as "not that great" but didn't elaborate on it, that is exactly what I meant. I've heard the social enviornment can vary greatly. While that does exist at every school, the area supports a wide variety of "very wealthy" and very moderate. Think "Pretty in Pink" and you might understand better. Not every kid has the means both emotionaly and econmically to thrive in an enviornment like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top