Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 15,813 times

Advertisements

Hello all

Berks county PA native living in NH. Looking for ideas on areas within 30-45 min commute of Pennsauken.

some privacy...i.e., prefer some trees between houses and a driveway
decent school district...3 kids elementary school..would consider catholic schl
budget around 350K
like to have a vegetable garden
like to be within 1/2 hr of recreation/especially fishing
prefer to be on the PA side...but not exactly sure why?

ideas appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
don't ... Look into Cinnaminson, Delran, Moorestown. You can buy a wonderful home for $350k, the schools are top notch(no need for Catholic school) and its close to Pennsauken and philly. Trust me on this. We came from life long (well over 40 years) pa and moved to NJ. No comparison

Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Also look at Cherry Hill.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,220 times
Cherry Hill is a great place to live

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM

555 posts, read 1,653,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Also look at Cherry Hill.
He won't get anything he wants in Cherry Hill at $350k beyond the decent (actually great) school system. CH is more North Jersey suburban than South Jersey semi-rural which he seems to be seeking.

I don't know where Pennsauken is and I'm admittedly too lazy to look it up at the moment... you may want to check out Washington Township in Gloucester county... I believe Cinnaminson falls in it, so does most of Mullica Hill, and part of Turnersville. You have the ability to get more land and trees if you want them in your price range and still have top notch schools.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Pennsauken is just south of the Betsy Ross Bridge between Camden and Cinnaminson. I was going to argue the Cherry Hill point nemmert, but I think that you're right. There are some out of the way, woodsy, properties in CH, but you pay dearly for them. Still, there are plenty of homes on tree lined streets with enough room in the yard to garden. Washington Township is a good suggestion.

Cinnaminson and Moorestown have good schools as frankgn87 said.

Dutchman, you should also look at Marlton (Evesham Township) and Medford. Both have good schools and you might just find something with a bit of land down that way. My husband and I lived south of Marlton, Medford when he worked in Pennsauken. The commute was 30 to 45 minutes - the earlier that you leave the house the quicker the drive.

There's always room to garden... my radishes look quite promising, the lettuce and spinach are up, broccoli and cabbage transplants have settled in and the peas are climbing. The tomatoes and peppers spend their nights in my dining room for the time being; they're waiting for the invitation from the crickets. I have thyme, oregano and mint in my perennial border. The neighbors have asked about the unusual, interesting plants in front of the shrubs; that would be the zucchini. I can never bring myself to eat the Nasturtium.

...a suburban gardener in southern New Jersey

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM

23,811 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
He won't get anything he wants in Cherry Hill at $350k beyond the decent (actually great) school system. CH is more North Jersey suburban than South Jersey semi-rural which he seems to be seeking.

I don't know where Pennsauken is and I'm admittedly too lazy to look it up at the moment... you may want to check out Washington Township in Gloucester county... I believe Cinnaminson falls in it, so does most of Mullica Hill, and part of Turnersville. You have the ability to get more land and trees if you want them in your price range and still have top notch schools.
Depends on how big a garden he wants. Some houses in Erlton have bigger lots.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 PM

877 posts, read 2,837,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
don't ... Look into Cinnaminson, Delran, Moorestown. You can buy a wonderful home for $350k, the schools are top notch(no need for Catholic school) and its close to Pennsauken and philly. Trust me on this. We came from life long (well over 40 years) pa and moved to NJ. No comparison
I was in that area this past weekend. Cinnaminson and Delran look like pretty nice decent places to live. Don't know much about them though, they are on the Rt 130 corridor.

Riverton looks very nice. How is that area?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM

556 posts, read 797,973 times
I agree with most of the suggestions of good towns located near Pennsauken. I notice a town that is rarely mentioned...Audubon. It's a nice little town, decent schools, safe and conveniently located. I will say the new Walmart has changed the town a bit (and not for the better) but it's still a really nice place to live.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,560 times
Riverton is nice quaint small town, I grew up there and our first house was there.

A lot of Riverton people send their kid to Holy Cross High School though. . Palmyra isn't that great.

We ended up moving to Cinnaminson because the school system as a whole is better and you can get more/newer house for your money. Most of the Homes in Riverton are older, and I was tired of doing the "This Old House" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia