Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. Racist
Yes it is Racist! 2 28.57%
Moderately Racist. 1 14.29%
Maybe a little bit. 2 28.57%
Not at all! 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 PM

58 posts, read 372,493 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum!

I live in San Diego California where mixed couples are not a big deal! I am a White woman dating a Black man. Should I be worried about raising kids in Metro Philadelphia - New Jersey? Locals from Germantown (PHL) tell me that Philly and the Metro area is changing, but it is not as Tolerant as the West Coast. Please let me know your thoughts, Positive or Negative! Thank You in Advance.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 AM

63 posts, read 211,023 times
I think you'll be OK, it depends on what area you live in. Most people have seen it for so long, I don't think it bothers them at all. The older people (65+) might still be crotchety about it, but you should be fine.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:02 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport View Post
Hello Forum!

I live in San Diego California where mixed couples are not a big deal! I am a White woman dating a Black man. Should I be worried about raising kids in Metro Philadelphia - New Jersey? Locals from Germantown (PHL) tell me that Philly and the Metro area is changing, but it is not as Tolerant as the West Coast. Please let me know your thoughts, Positive or Negative! Thank You in Advance.
I lived in San Diego for two years and I am AA married to a Mexican man...the people there were very racist toward me, especially when they saw me with my husband. I must admit though, that it came from the mexican women more than anyone else. I did not have that problem with blacks or whites. There was a lot of racism towards me and our marraige from the mexican people though.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:07 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
I thnk you have y our answer just by reading the posts in this thread. If you go to other threads on this forum, you don't see such nasty things. You have your answer.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 AM

276 posts, read 747,225 times
this thread is ridiculous and its too simple to answer.

everyone is discriminatory to a certain group--especially in a mixed-relationship. im a white male married to an indian woman from india, and guess who cant stand that? you got it. indian men.

its called double standands. when the women flee the herd, their native men get angry. but do the men who are interracially involved get looks? hardly.

happens across all races.

its the biological inert need to protect.

and i would ask you, OP, is san diego racist? where its all caucasoid it probably is, but towards downtown, where its probably more diverse and young, i would suspect people are more open-minded. i wonder why that is...

Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM

12 posts, read 76,354 times
Default No problem in Philly

Hi - I lived in center city Philadelphia up until a few years ago for most of my life. Philly is very tolerant of many things. A mixed couple definitely has a place in Philly. It is just like anything else...you have to find the right area. If anything with the Germantown thing...it is the African American community that does not approve, not the white folk. Just don't live in West Philly (unless near PENN) or North Philly. Chances are you will end up with a bullet in your head. Center city, Society hill, Queen Village, Manayunk, Roxborough, Art Museum, and South Philly relative to center city are all great places to live. I am sure there are others...but I know and frequent these places.
Good Luck!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:19 AM

37 posts, read 261,783 times
Default Willingboro

I am not all that familiar with south Jersey but a friend of mine that is from there lives in Willingboro and told me that there are many interracial couples there. I dont know much about the town but he said there is no racism and many mixed kids in the school system. I hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
There are interracial couples everywhere in the Philly/S. Jersey area. I see interracial couples every day in town, at the movie theater, in the mall. It's not a big deal. This is a very diverse area.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Default Well...

when I look at the DOJ/FBI inter-racial crime stats, it does appear that there is alot of black racism against whites...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia