Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:04 AM

322 posts, read 546,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So the towns u mentioned are not suburbs of philly?
You can make an argument that the entire area is a suburb of Philly. I live about 6 miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, in a small town that is essentially a bedroom community for those 2 cities..it's a pretty even mix between the 2.

There are lovely towns in Salem & Gloucester counties, which by the way in NO WAY resemble small town Kansas. My mother in law grew up in Glen Rock, NJ in the 50's and she compares the atmoshpere and sense of community in Woodstown to that era.

If you're looking for a nice, peaceful, suburban enviornment I don't know that Penns Grove, Carney's Point, or Woodbury would be at the top of my list. But like other posters have stated there are tons of little gems throughout the area. Fourth of July parades, street fairs, youth sports, good schools, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:36 AM

50,709 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Yes, try Pitman, Mullica Hill, Mantua

Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
You can make an argument that the entire area is a suburb of Philly. I live about 6 miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, in a small town that is essentially a bedroom community for those 2 cities..it's a pretty even mix between the 2.

There are lovely towns in Salem & Gloucester counties, which by the way in NO WAY resemble small town Kansas. My mother in law grew up in Glen Rock, NJ in the 50's and she compares the atmoshpere and sense of community in Woodstown to that era.

If you're looking for a nice, peaceful, suburban enviornment I don't know that Penns Grove, Carney's Point, or Woodbury would be at the top of my list. But like other posters have stated there are tons of little gems throughout the area. Fourth of July parades, street fairs, youth sports, good schools, etc..
Woodbury is NOT a suburb of Wilmington. That's like saying Greenwich is a suburb of Hartford.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Woodbury is NOT a suburb of Wilmington. That's like saying Greenwich is a suburb of Hartford.
mike the analogy is TOTALLY lost on me..as I've never been to either Greenwich or Hartford.

So with that being said I guess I'm wondering where I said Woodbury was a suburb of Wilmington?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
mike the analogy is TOTALLY lost on me..as I've never been to either Greenwich or Hartford.

So with that being said I guess I'm wondering where I said Woodbury was a suburb of Wilmington?
I just went through the entire thread, and it seems as though I misintrepted something Joe84323 typed, and associated it with what you tried to write.

I remember when I was in school, and there was someone I knew who lived in Deepwater, at the time. I asked him if he ever went over to Delaware, for anything. This was a long time ago. He told me the only reason people went over that bridge was to buy big ticket items to avoid taxes. His mom worked in Deptford, which means she was traveling towards Philly.

I'd love to know what the breakdown is when it comes to people who live in Carney's Point, Penns Grove, etc, as it pertains to commute. I am willing to believe that more of them commute towards Camden County for work than to New Castle County.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I
I'd love to know what the breakdown is when it comes to people who live in Carney's Point, Penns Grove, etc, as it pertains to commute. I am willing to believe that more of them commute towards Camden County for work than to New Castle County.
Well as I said before it's pretty even mix. The are a large number of professionals moving into the new construction, and with the explosion of services that's has happened over the last 10 years or so on the DE side of the river..you'd be surprised. Couple that with the fact that every major financial institution and insurance company has a corporate center in Wilmington, and you'll see where the draw is.

How long has it been since you lived here Mike?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well as I said before it's pretty even mix. The are a large number of professionals moving into the new construction, and with the explosion of services that's has happened over the last 10 years or so on the DE side of the river..you'd be surprised. Couple that with the fact that every major financial institution and insurance company has a corporate center in Wilmington, and you'll see where the draw is.

How long has it been since you lived here Mike?
I moved in January 05. By no means do I qualify as an expert, at least not on your level.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I moved in January 05. By no means do I qualify as an expert, at least not on your level.
you wouldn't even recognize the place mike, open space is dropping left and right.

and i wouldn't exactly call myself an expert, i only know what i know demographically because i'm a local banker.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Quote:
I just went through the entire thread, and it seems as though I misintrepted something Joe84323 typed, and associated it with what you tried to write.

I remember when I was in school, and there was someone I knew who lived in Deepwater, at the time. I asked him if he ever went over to Delaware, for anything. This was a long time ago. He told me the only reason people went over that bridge was to buy big ticket items to avoid taxes. His mom worked in Deptford, which means she was traveling towards Philly.

Those places exist due to the fact that there were ferries from Wilmington and New Castle to those towns throughout the 19th and 20th century. Their main industry is rooted in Wilmington.

Wilmington and Philly were always similar and close, but now the suburbs have touched, and Philly's suburbs go way farther than Wilmington's. Those three towns are Philly metro, but are there as a direct result of Wilmington and DuPont.

(Not that anybody would admit, though - they're a different breed of people.)

Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 PM

8 posts, read 16,586 times
I grew up in the area. I played baseball for PennsGrove Babe Ruth and Little League. Penns Grove is not the nicest area in the world. I would recomend Pedricktown(my town) for the area. It is a lot of fields, a small downtown and a good safe, country feel. The elementry and middleschool is the best in the area. Woodstown is also a VERY nice town, and very down to earth and also has a country feel.

Salem City, and PennsGrove can have a lot of crime, Carneys Point isnt too bad and Woodbury is very crowded with a fairly dense population. Swedesboro is nice, and can be a fun area to live. Rarely have I ever visited Wilmington and I lived in these areas, we went to Philadelphia a lot(25 mins max), but Wilmington is not exactly a fun city to go to.

Overall, the areas are nice but Id prefer Pedricktown or Woodstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia