Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Moving, I know that this is not at the top of your list, but when you want something a little lighter to check out, this will have you ready to roll when you get to South Jersey. FindMyMenus.com - Free South Jersey Restaurants Menu Directory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving T. View Post
My husband and I were born and raised in Central Jersey. 6 yrs ago, we moved to Florida. We are considering moving back to Jersey in the very near future. My husband would work out of Philly, so we are trying to determine the best Jersey suburb outside of Philly. We seem to be drawn to Haddonfield, Collingswood, Moorestown. Having 3 young children, schools are the MOST important factor for us. Second, we would love a trendy, upscale, clean downtown, with young active families and community involvement.(or at least close access to a downtown) And last, I know this could be difficult, but I personally prefer a newer home. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! Thanks!
Heh.. well you're drawn to those areas because those are the 3 with the best downtown areas.

If you have the means, I'd go with Moorestown. Your property taxes are going to be lower because it's not in Camden County. The school is going to be as good if not better, than Haddonfield or Collingswood, and you're going to be able to find newer housing stock.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Heh.. well you're drawn to those areas because those are the 3 with the best downtown areas.

If you have the means, I'd go with Moorestown. Your property taxes are going to be lower because it's not in Camden County. The school is going to be as good if not better, than Haddonfield or Collingswood, and you're going to be able to find newer housing stock.
great advice, Bill. Car insurance and home owners insurance is going to be lower in Burlington county(Moorestown) too

Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Ancilliary expenses like insurance and taxes are definitely cheaper in Burlington County. The biggest hang up I can see is that if you want new(er) housing that pretty much eliminates most of Camden County outside areas of Cherry Hill and Voorhees. Collingswood and Haddonfield in particular are primarily older homes (most are 50-100+ years old). Some newer building exists in the area, but is hard to come by and is very expensive for what you get.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,198 times
Why do taxes and insurance tend to be cheaper in Burlington compared to Camden county?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
my mortgage company told be we are further from Camden.. Don't know if its a real reason but that is what they told me.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Property taxes are cheaper at the county and local level. The county piece has to do with Camden being in Camden County. The local taxes are generally do to the larger towns and more business ratables that exist in Bulrington County.

Insurance rates are based on crime statistics and loss history. I don't think anyone knows exactly what they base it on, but I'm sure proximity to Camden has an impact on the crime aspect. For instance, my car insurance went down $100 for a 6 month premium moving from Voorhees to Moorestown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia