Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 02:28 PM

25 posts, read 71,849 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a single family home and one of the homes we were interested in was in the Old Orchard Section of Cherry Hill. This particular split level was very nice, very updated and listed for $325K. Looking at the other listings in the development I see some homes with only 1 or 1.5 baths listed as low as $189K. The home prices in the development are all over the map.

Anyone ever live there want to comment on the development? Have some of the low prices brought in a bad element to the neighborhood? How is the local elementary school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 03:18 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,454,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBosch View Post
We are looking to buy a single family home and one of the homes we were interested in was in the Old Orchard Section of Cherry Hill. This particular split level was very nice, very updated and listed for $325K. Looking at the other listings in the development I see some homes with only 1 or 1.5 baths listed as low as $189K. The home prices in the development are all over the map.

Anyone ever live there want to comment on the development? Have some of the low prices brought in a bad element to the neighborhood? How is the local elementary school?
I never lived in Old Orchard, but it always had a good reputaion.

Certain developments in Cherry Hill have traditonally been low turn over. I would suggest 2 things. Look at some of the lower price houses. They may have been owned long term & may need a lot of updating. Also, compare the house to a comparable model in Barclay Farms (The area behind the shopping center & the area around Sawmill Rd.) Those houses in Barclay are about the same age as the houses in Old Orchard. (New Barclay is newer) The equivalent house in Barclay should be a bit higher than Old Orchard

Hope that helps.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,793,759 times
all the local schools in CH are very good and you have nothing to worry about there..

Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,497,497 times
Cherry Hill schools are pretty much universally good, but each section does have better/worse schools on a rating basis. You can use Great Schools to get an easy 1-10 ranking on schools. In Cherry Hill you will find some elementary that score a 9 and some that score a 6. I don't think any of them are bad, but the lower rated schools tend to have a lot of apartments in their districts. Just as an FYI a lot of the older Cherry Hill high rise apartments are pretty run down these days.

As for the home prices, as was inferred earlier, Cherry Hill has a large mix of homes in various ages. Some of the more affordable homes are simply very dated and can represent a fantastic opportunity if you are inclined to remodeling. Outside of that check the foreclosure/short sale activity in the neighbrohood you are considering. A couple sections of Cherry Hill (I believe Old Orchard is one) have been hit pretty hard and there are a lot of underpriced homes on the market. It wouldn't preclude me from buying there, but I think a good realtor will be a must as values on non-short/foreclosure are definitely impacted. Best thing to do is just take a drive through the neighborhood.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:40 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,958,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBosch View Post

If your buying in the Old Orchard area be sure to get a radon test when you purchase. My 20 years of experience with radon indicates that much of everything South of Route 70 has a high incidence of elevated radon levels. Old Orchard, anything off Springdale, Marlkress, Kresson Roads, Willowdale, Woodcrest and Downs Farms are all highly suspect areas.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 AM

81 posts, read 339,795 times
I grew up in Old Orchard and my mother still owns the house there. I only moved out about 5 years ago to be closer to college. Old Orchard sends mostly to Sharp elementary school and some go to Stockton. Both are excellent schools. I believe they both receive a 10 on the GreatSchools website and always have the highest test scores. This is not a bad area of Cherry Hill at all (and I can think of quite a few areas that are). It is probably the most east you can get in the "East" side of Cherry Hill. It lies right on the border of Marlton/Evesham in Burlington County. Our everyday shopping was done in Marlton and not in Cherry Hill.

I do love the low house prices in Cherry Hill, and I believe the higher taxes are definetly worth it for the school district. What keeps me out of buying in Cherry Hill today is the traffic. You can't leave your house on a weekday before 8pm with out getting stuck in a line of unmoving traffic... as you sit through and watch the same traffic light change atleast 3 times.

Having not lived in the Cherry Hill/Marlton/Mt. Laurel area for 5 years and experiencing nearly zero traffic in the Hamilton/Bordentown area of Mercer/Burlington County I can never go back. It takes me 30min to drive 30miles down Rt.206 to go to Medford for work where it would take me longer to drive 7 miles to the Cherry Hill mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia