Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM

20 posts, read 79,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Thanks for the "book", it was great. More info, There are 2 of us, no children, planning to work for the Coast Guard at the Cape May base. Would love to live on/near the water but doubt I can afford it. Would like to be within walking distance however of the beach and Cape May specifically. I figure we could live fairly far inland in Cape May and still be able to get some good exercise walking/cycling to town or to the beach. Although it's 15 years sooner than expected, we have always wanted to retire at the shore, Cape May has become our favorite, but this job is too good to pass up and doesn't come along very often and when filled, it stays filled. We're looking for an unbigoted, unbiased place to live, not the red neck non-thinking Republican central PA where I was born and raised. We love the shore points, Spring and Fall including Atlantic City. Love Ocean Drive, there's just something about the ocean that nothing else can beat. I've worked like a dog for 30 years and feel I should take a chance on something I REALLY want instead of the status quo. Summer we know we'll be staying put and probably entertaining family which might be fun if we can control it a bit. We want a peaceful, liberal place to live where all kinds of people are welcome. THanks for the info.
Two of you and no kids. Are you gay? The reason you don't see garbage, crime or graffiti at the shore is because of all the hardworking redneck Republicans. If you have a problem with Republicans then maybe you should move to N. Philly or Camden.

PS. Stay out of Stone Harbor. We are 90% Republicans.

Last edited by maximus1; 05-24-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM

152 posts, read 465,498 times
Yeah, your 90% republicans....and you can have your stone harbor...rows of beach boxes...and bankers

Old 11-05-2015, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
im doing a project on it I need help

Old 11-05-2015, 01:21 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Just realized someone bumped up a thread that is 5+ years old. But hubby and I were in OC yesterday, just hanging out in the lovely weather. We noticed how much more friendly people are. People would say "Hi" as we passed them. Made me *think* about possibly retiring down the shore in 10 years. But then I remember Sandy and all the nor'easters, and I don't know if I could handle that. Sigh. It sure was quiet and peaceful there yesterday.

One thing I did think of, while reading this thread. I am a big-time gardener. The salt air is not kind to gardens and not everything will grow at the shore.

I wonder if the OP moved to Cape May and did they like it?

Old 11-05-2015, 10:39 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I'd move to the area, but wouldn't live oceanfront or too close. I wouldn't want to pay for flood insurance.

If you can live without Wegmans, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, you won't have a problem.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:44 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom7479443684 View Post
im doing a project on it I need help
Start a new thread. Capitalization, punctuation and some detail would help.

Do you go the convenience store in pajama pants?

Old 11-09-2015, 05:51 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,461 times
If I win the lottery I am buying one of the little houses at Cape May Point. Nice there, any time of the year.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 5,206 times
A few in the forum mentioned flooding during Sandy and coastal floods which is, unfortunately, becoming more prevalent. What type of flooding occurs more inland as we are looking at Cape May Court House as a possible place to move. I spoke with a few realtors and no-one would commit on whether it floods. In addition, I checked out FEMA maps and based on different scenarios, it shows flooding.
I would love any personal narratives or comments about living in Cape May Court House area!
Thanks!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,461 times
Not sure about the specifics of Court House regarding flooding. But I would respect the FEMA maps.

Inland in Cumberland county (and north) we have had issues with very heavy rain events that have overflowed lakes and washed out dams. These were along the Maurice river chain. There are something like 5 lakes and streams that feed into Union lake and then subsequently the Maurice river. I remember Batsto also saw flooding like this. The pictures were scary, maybe still online.

Back bays often see flooding. Not only storm related but also full moon events. This is also a problem in Delaware, particularly the southern part of the state.

Most realtors in Delaware have been honest with me on this subject. Maybe you need another realtor.

I have also learned about flooding by reading the online versions of local papers. Pictures of flooding in Lewes, DE scared me away from that area. And the pictures were not online long. Read the paper when the storms are hitting.

One thing I have used for years when I have questions in a new area is walk into the local police department with a smile on my face and just ask the questions I have. The police generally know what is going on in areas. I have always found them friendly and helpful.

There is a nice little dinner across from the hospital in Court House. Great chicken/spinach salad. I get that any time in the area. You could try the place and ask locals about flooding.

Cape May Point is one of my favorite places..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia