Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There are places like Camden in parts of Europe , mostly Eastern and in parts of the Balkans. Mostly poor immigrants and ruminates of past culture wars.
Not really. While there are certainly decayed and dieing cities in parts of Europe, particularly in Eastern Europe, America has an almost singular position in regards to urban decline and the status of our cities. In Europe cities are still the more desirable places to live with little in the way of suburbs in the American sense.

If we were to Euro-ize Camden/Philadelphia we would all want to live in Camden/Philly and areas like Voorhees, Cherry Hill, etc. would be where the "element" lived with high unemployment and crime. Paris is a great example of this. The city itself is an extremely desirable place to live, however, the majority of the surrounding suburbs are filled with low income housing, immigrants and crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Figures you would ask, dude.. so people aren't inclined to talk to you, ask for money, sell you drugs, etc. It isn't intended to stop bullets, smart guy.

In addition, if this guy is coming to America to see ghetto, ghetto he shall see. I'm just giving him tips.

Camden isn't Northeast Philly, Flyers Fan. It's quite a bit worse, and precautions help, like what I stated above for the visiting European. Do you honestly think people are just going to shoot at him? Are you serious in what you post? I am. He'll be just fine staring through his car window if he follows a few guidelines and doesn't get stuck down a small street with bad people.
I feel safer in Cramer Hill than I do in Olney

Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Cities like Camden just plain don't exist in Europe
Ever been to Toulouse France?? What a dirty hole. Dirty, covered in graffiti and lots of scary dirty looking people. Although it might not be as decayed as Camden NJ, Toulouse certainly was not far off.

I certainly have experience of people from Europe asking me to take them through a tour of the *ghetto* I was flabbergasted that they thought touring others peoples misfortunes was a touristy or even a *fun* thing to go do.

Maybe the OP should research the effect of modern american suburbanization leading to the downfall of american cities.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Cities like Camden just plain don't exist in Europe,
Burnley:
Burnley - Google Maps

Manchester:
manchester - Google Maps

Liverpool:
liverpool - Google Maps

Middlesbrough:
Middlesbrough - Google Maps

Leeds:
leeds - Google Maps

North London:
London - Google Maps

South London:
London - Google Maps

Belfast:
Belfast - Google Maps

Derry:
derry - Google Maps

Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I feel safer in Cramer Hill than I do in Olney
And....???

Were you implying that Olney was in Northeast Philadelphia?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I've been through a few of the crummier parts of London and Liverpool, and I must say, they do not look like Camden. Perhaps the OP is studying poverty in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post

Old 06-04-2010, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
I've been to Camden recently and yes its the land time has forgotten,what a shame.I suggest you just drive through and don't stop unless you are on the main thorough fare (ie) white horse pike area of belmawr,you see people know right off that you are an out of towner.I am a black woman and i was looked at in a very unfriendly manner,and it sad that drugs have destroyed our people all over the country.My friends that live there never let me go any place alone.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
Default To bul who said Irvington, Nj is worst then camden in crime

irvington being the worst nd high crime rate then camden...man..listen i jus came home from college u hear me college..lmao..listen its really not funny..and like in my hood the east camden section of camden..now listen remember this its not even the worst section of camden trust me it is not"Polocktown is the worst section of camden..."..so anyway in east camden in a matter of 2 dys over a six block radius..u hear me."SIX BLOCK RADIUS"...there is two shootings..in 2 days in broad daylight 2 block radius...now u tell em "WHERE THEY DO THAT AT?..listen camden aint no joke..and i kow newark aint no joke either but irvington man is average crime town just like any other average crime town..man..listen..CMD aint no joke dogg..ask udes in philly..and pilly is bigger then camden people scared to come here bro..its shame too

Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Quote:
My biggest concern is, that someone will step out in front of car and want me to come out - or shoot at the car.
This is the exact moment when any man with balls and brains hits the gas and runs the scum under their tires, and any man without 'em dies a coward's death.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaszy View Post
I certainly have experience of people from Europe asking me to take them through a tour of the *ghetto* I was flabbergasted that they thought touring others peoples misfortunes was a touristy or even a *fun* thing to go do.
I don't think anyone "touring" Camden is going there to see the misfortunes of the people that live there, but just to see the general decline in the area's buildings and such. Not really much different than people driving through very affluent areas to see the houses there...they don't care about the people that live there, just the houses they live in. I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to see other parts of the country other than just the traditional tourist spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia