Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,569 times

Advertisements

Does anyone "commute" to Manhattan by walking across the GW Bridge in the mornings? I know this sounds crazy, but I am wondering if anyone does this on a daily basis? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Does anyone "commute" to Manhattan by walking across the GW Bridge in the mornings? I know this sounds crazy, but I am wondering if anyone does this on a daily basis? Thanks.
The upper level has a path for pedestrians / bicyclists, I'm sure there are some who do this if you can stand the exhaust fumes

Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I bike across the bridge from time to time. I don't do it daily (PATH is a much better option for me), but sometimes when I feel a desire to do something different, I take the long bike ride up to the bridge, over, and down to Midtown.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM

Really. Do the fumes bother you Lammius? Does it appear to be "safe" as far as walkers go? I mean, is there crime on the bridge (like muggers)? Is it a pleasant ride or very noisy? I'm just thinking about what a great workout it would be to walk to Manhattan every day. thanks.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM

20 posts, read 56,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Really. Do the fumes bother you Lammius? Does it appear to be "safe" as far as walkers go? I mean, is there crime on the bridge (like muggers)? Is it a pleasant ride or very noisy? I'm just thinking about what a great workout it would be to walk to Manhattan every day. thanks.
Fumes are not so bad imo, but I guess it depends on the wind direction. I would rather bike than walk across though - faster, more fun and good exercise!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Yes, there's noise (you're walking next to an interstate highway). I haven't noticed fumes that are extraordinary. The noise isn't bothersome, though, because my god look at the view!

I've never felt that there's any real risk of being mugged on the bridge. There are people around, lots of cameras, and there are manned booths at each of the towers.

Here's a look at the sidewalk, snagged from flickr.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/...9644b7a0b5.jpg

Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
I know there are some people who run across the Ben Franklin every day for exercise or to commute to Rutgers Camden from time to time, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a group of people who did the former on the G.W. Also, again this is a the Ben Franklin and not the G.W., but I remember a while back a woman was mugged and thrown off the bridge.

Mind you, I REALLY want to walk across both.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yes, there's noise (you're walking next to an interstate highway). I haven't noticed fumes that are extraordinary. The noise isn't bothersome, though, because my god look at the view!

I've never felt that there's any real risk of being mugged on the bridge. There are people around, lots of cameras, and there are manned booths at each of the towers.

Here's a look at the sidewalk, snagged from flickr.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/...9644b7a0b5.jpg
That has to be awesome

Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Maybe we can start a group, a walking commute across the bridge. I don't know. I'm sure it wouldn't last long.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,491 times
Thumbs up It's only "crazy" if you like to stay healthy, save money, and get there quickly!

I knew a Belgian immigrant (retired now) who would bicycle daily from his home in Bergen County to his job in Manhattan -- healthier, cheaper, and quicker than the bus. Other than in a blizzard or hurricane, he'd be on the bike!

Anxiety issues give me enough trouble crossing this bridge in a car. There's no way I could handle this on a bicycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey