Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 PM

43 posts, read 209,429 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

My gf and I are interested in a 3br condo/townhome somewhere between Somerset and Montgomery/Belle Mead. We are young and won't be having kids in the near future (think, 8-10 year investment before we need to "upgrade").

We found a new construction development called Cedar Manor, located right at the Easton Ave exit off 287, more specifically the "Corner of Pierce St & Cedar Grove Ln". The townhomes are absolutely beautiful and the specific area seems on the up and up. New shoprite and starbucks along with 20+ shops are right in the immediate area.

I am quite aware that Somerset has mostly terrible schools,and while I don't plan on staying in this home long enough to have kids who require elementary school, it IS a concern for resell (or is it?). My other immediate concern is that, while new, this development is 80% 2br condo RENTALS. Not sure what the developer was thinking doing a hybrid development with both homeowners and rentals, but it is what it is. Since prices start at $1,800 to rent - I figure the clientelle won't be too awful. Will this negatively affect our ability to sell this unit in the future? There are roughly 25 townhomes and 50 condos in this development. It is not a huge place.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the town itself, more importantly the specific area surrounding Pierce Street?

Any pointers are appreciated. Alternative suggestions for a 10-15 year old 3br townhouse community also welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM

bump. Anyone have any thoughts on this area?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,871 times
Default Cedar Manor

Hi, I'm looking for the same, did you find any helpful info?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 AM

60 posts, read 155,187 times
Somerset has terrible schools? Are you talking about Somerset the town or Somerset County schools? Somerset the town is very spread out. I would not personally live in Somerset, but the area (not sure if its still Somerset at that point) in which you are talking about is fine.

Don't live further down Easton off of Hamilton Blvd.. that part of Somerset is not so nice. Everyone has their own opinions, but my boyfriend lived off of Hamilton Blvd, and it was not a great area.

However, again, Cedar Grove Ln is a perfectly fine area. My brother/sister-in-law used to live down that way, closer to Society Hill area, and liked it. There are townhomes there in Society Hill that might suit you (my brother is actually selling his but only a 2 bedroom. Completely redone though if anyone is interested ) There are parts of Franklin that are not great, but you are far enough away from it that it should not be an issue. Cedar Grove is also pretty convenient to 287 (either Easton or Weston Canal if you want to travel a little further).

I cannot comment on resell since I do not own a home.

Sorry I cannot help you with all of your questions, but I saw you were awaiting a response, and I know the area in the sense I can tell you it's safe and pretty quiet. Just beware of Easton Avenue if you are trying to travel towards 287 or opposite way to 18 - congested! Where are you going to be working? My brother worked in parsippany and had an hour commute.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Veeracs, we spent a good weekend driving around the area around Cedar Manor, and while the area is certainly safe with many new stores and restaurants being opened near the new ShopRite, I can't justify spending $315-$349,000 on a townhome in an 80% rental community - it just spookes me. I even got over the whole "not so great schools" stigma, which obviously is a reason for the initial discount on any home in the area. While the models were absolutely beautiful, again, 80% rentals.....YIKES. Even at $1,800+ for a 2 bedroom apartment, I just don't like it....there is no accountability amongst renters. And no offense to anyone who rents, I understand this is a huge generalization by me, but I don't think any homeowner would appreciate being surrounded by people who have relatively no financial stake in the neighborhood. Its asking for trouble. So we are looking elsewhere..Maybe Franklin Park

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM

63 posts, read 346,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
Veeracs, we spent a good weekend driving around the area around Cedar Manor, and while the area is certainly safe with many new stores and restaurants being opened near the new ShopRite, I can't justify spending $315-$349,000 on a townhome in an 80% rental community - it just spookes me. I even got over the whole "not so great schools" stigma, which obviously is a reason for the initial discount on any home in the area. While the models were absolutely beautiful, again, 80% rentals.....YIKES. Even at $1,800+ for a 2 bedroom apartment, I just don't like it....there is no accountability amongst renters. And no offense to anyone who rents, I understand this is a huge generalization by me, but I don't think any homeowner would appreciate being surrounded by people who have relatively no financial stake in the neighborhood. Its asking for trouble. So we are looking elsewhere..Maybe Franklin Park
Franklin Park "IS" part of Franklin township.. Somerset & Franklin Park composes Franklin Township I live at Quailbrook & work by Atrium Drive, I see these townhomes everyday and think that it is a great investment-- my in law works at the marriot just around world's fair dr and they are always full so in the long run if you wish to move to a new place, that townhome would be very easy to rent. There's a lot of businesses/offices around that area that would be walking distance from Cedar Manor.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylnb View Post
Franklin Park "IS" part of Franklin township.. Somerset & Franklin Park composes Franklin Township I live at Quailbrook & work by Atrium Drive, I see these townhomes everyday and think that it is a great investment-- my in law works at the marriot just around world's fair dr and they are always full so in the long run if you wish to move to a new place, that townhome would be very easy to rent. There's a lot of businesses/offices around that area that would be walking distance from Cedar Manor.
I checked these out in Mid May. They were running 315k-375k with nice finishes. About 46 townhomes or so. We didnt pull the trigger as we really wanted single family. We stopped in again a month later in mid June, they had raised the prices by about 15k and had more than half sold. Recently inquired again, 1 left. Who says we are in a recession/down housing market???

Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I checked these out in Mid May. They were running 315k-375k with nice finishes. About 46 townhomes or so. We didnt pull the trigger as we really wanted single family. We stopped in again a month later in mid June, they had raised the prices by about 15k and had more than half sold. Recently inquired again, 1 left. Who says we are in a recession/down housing market???
wow, just stumbled back onto this original post. I can't believe they've sold all of these but 1. That's truly amazing. Like I said, they WERE beautiful on the inside....But I had too many negatives personally (tiny un-fenced back yards too...I've got 2 dogs that would be disappointed).

Thanks for all the responses, however.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM

29 posts, read 139,109 times
I have lived in Somerset since 1996 and enjoy living here. We moved here because we wanted a diverse community for our children to grow up in. The schools are not terrible, the elementary schools have a 4-5 star rating from GreatSchool.org, the high school has a bad rep but many kids (Black, white, Asian) flourished there, with many Honors and AP courses to choose from. You are a young couple so you have plenty of time to worry about the schools. There are several Catholic schools and Rutgers Prep is close by as alternatives to public school. I agree there are certain areas that are less desirable, as with many communities but all in all, its a nice place to live. We have never had a problem with crime, and I often have left my car unlocked..not smart regardless of where you live. As a young couple, its a great place to live! So close to New Brunswick with its great restaurants and night life, as well as being close to the train station. We lived in West Windsor, NJ, Lake Forest, Ill, Manhattan, and Bryn Mawr, PA. We were fortunate to have lived in great neighborhoods but out of those places we enjoy the diversity and community of Somerset the best. We found a place where we actually feel like we belonged.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:24 AM

264 posts, read 606,133 times
For a young couple with no kids on the immediate horizon, Franklin Twp is a great choice. That's what we were, when we moved here and I think we saved some money, compared to say, Edison. NYC commute was important for us and it is a big plus to have New Brunswick close by with trains, restaurants, hospitals. There are tons of townhomes in the area to choose from. Lots of walking and biking trails, it's a very pleasant, green area to live in and everything you need is close by. But now that we have a child, we are looking to move out - for better schools, and larger living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey