Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 AM

47 posts, read 156,815 times

Advertisements

We left NJ (born and raised, both dh and I) and moved to Indiana a little over a year ago. There is nothing wrong with living here, good schools, cheaper houses, cheaper taxes, etc. BUT our family still lives in NJ and we are really considering coming back. Looking for opinions....thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 AM

13,409 posts, read 28,749,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahsmom412 View Post
We left NJ (born and raised, both dh and I) and moved to Indiana a little over a year ago. There is nothing wrong with living here, good schools, cheaper houses, cheaper taxes, etc. BUT our family still lives in NJ and we are really considering coming back. Looking for opinions....thanks!

If you can afford it & have jobs lined up and this is where you want to be ...of course come back

Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 AM

We could probably afford it of course things would be a lot tighter financially but I will admit I do get excited to come back again. We are thinking of waiting till the spring so the kids will do this school year here. I think if the market stays the way it is in NJ right now things will be a little more affordable in the housing market. Do you think so?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
We could probably afford it of course things would be a lot tighter financially but I will admit I do get excited to come back again. We are thinking of waiting till the spring so the kids will do this school year here. I think if the market stays the way it is in NJ right now things will be a little more affordable in the housing market. Do you think so?

Depends on the area, in my opinion.
prices have come down somewhat where I am, Morris County, but no significant drops yet.

Nothing worse then being homesick...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 AM

We moved from Ocean County and it looks like things have leveled off there. I am pretty sure we would go back there.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
We moved from Ocean County and it looks like things have leveled off there. I am pretty sure we would go back there.

There have been a few people on this forum from Ocean County saying they are having a hard time selling & have dropped their prices...so you may find a nice deal

Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,933,194 times
We left NJ (born and raised, both dh and I) and moved to Indiana a little over a year ago. There is nothing wrong with living here, good schools, cheaper houses, cheaper taxes, etc. BUT our family still lives in NJ and we are really considering coming back. Looking for opinions....thanks! (/quote)

You probably have to think about why you left in the first place. Nothing has really changed in NJ since last year. So, if it was because of high taxes/high cost of living, etc, you will come back to the same high cost of living.

Being homesick is a pretty bad feeling and I totally understand why you would want to come back. But you probably had a good reason (I hope) for moving. Just make sure you're not making a mistake.

As far as housing market, I don't think you will see any significant drops (especially compared to last year). While prices may have gone down a little, interest rates a higher than they were.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,100,699 times
More expensive as you know but if you have a job lined up you should be fine. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:09 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,900,685 times
I am one of those in Ocean County (Toms River). The housing market seems to be pretty stagnant. The same houses that were for sale 6 months ago are still for sale and there are more houses on the market everyday. Toms River has one of the nations highest foreclosure rates right now. So what does it mean? I'm not an economist but I don't think we've seen the end of housing prices coming down. I think reality may just be setting in for some people (they are not going to get the inflated prices that the market was seeing 18 months ago). Good luck. I think if your missing family there's not better reason to return...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey