Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,269,238 times

Advertisements

Something to remember- there's a reason the VOC's are in the paint in the first place- they help it stick to the walls. I've talked to a number of painters on this subject, since practically every project we work on anymore is getting LEED certified, and they all recommend finding another route to certification than using low/no VOC paint (if possible). As said above, the materials are hard to work with, they don't cover well, they don't level well, and there are starting to be adhesion problems. So, if you're OK with a splotchy paint job that looks like it was put on with a mop, go for it. Personally, I'll take the "risk" of the VOC's- I've worked in the construction industry for 20 years, and have yet to run across anyone who has come down with health issues due to the VOC's in paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,269,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggywink View Post
We used the Freshaire paint that Home Depot sells (zero VOC) and were very happy with it. The price was more but we bought 3 cans of paint to paint 3 rooms--hardly enough to break the bank. My five-year-old slept in his freshly painted room the day after we painted it--no fumes.

Here's a link to a website discussing the dangers of volatile organic compounds. I hope the Center for Disease Control is a reputable source:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/clusters/fal...ossary-VOC.pdf
The only problem is, none of the VOC's on that list actually occur in latex paint, so in this case, the CDC isn't a reputable source.

But, based on your list, I certainly hope you don't have a vinyl shower curtain or anything made of plastic in your house, since many of the VOC's on your list occur in those items.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:57 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,336,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
If it's on the internet it must be true, right? Look long enough and you can find a website that will tell you that chickens have lips. The site you found is selling a service and is, therefore, hardly unbiased. Nice try, though.
Well, not to seem rude, BUT, you're on the internet, so YOU must be right, too?

Take it with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own opinions. I know a lot of people that have died or become ill due to chemical related cancers and diseases, and yes, their personal doctors narrowed it. There's no reason to argue over something so ridiculously silly, in terms of "No, Sally or Bill is wrong, because I'M a painter, and I would know, since I work with the stuff on a day to day basis." and the same applies the other way around. I'm all for standing up for what you believe in and/or know, but it's unnecessary to demean someone by essentially calling them stupid.

Just my two cents.

To the OP - if you feel the paint will be better for less chemicals, I'd go for it. Whether or not it truly works in the long run, I'm not sure. If it makes you feel good for buying a "safer" product, then that's good, too.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 AM

239 posts, read 1,137,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
But, based on your list, I certainly hope you don't have a vinyl shower curtain or anything made of plastic in your house, since many of the VOC's on your list occur in those items.
Thanks for your concern. It is very hard to avoid all plastics but it isn't difficult to buy a shower curtain that does not release VOCs if you know what you're looking for. So we're good!

Also, the paint has been sticking to our walls really well, none of it has fallen off or looks even the slightest bit splotchy, but I will report back if it does.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,065,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
I guess in your world accurate equates to ridiculous if it doesn't fit your preconceived notions. I derived great solace from both your posts in that they made me realize that the sum total of your "knowledge" comes solely from an emotional response to a challenge to one of the sacred cows of liberalism and not from any scientific knowledge or experience. I've been in the business a lot of years and can guarantee that I have a lot more experience and have done a lot more research into the topic than you ever will. My post was accurate and stands on its own merit with anyone who actually has a clue.
Good luck to you.
Oh then you must be God and know everything because you have researched more than I have. Sorry, I'm just a dumb lawyer, not an impressive researcher on all matter of toxins, like you. The problem is that many many scientists also believe that chemicals/toxins do indeed cause illness. Its been evidenced in many different ways and is quite the main stream theory so I'm really not sure where you're coming from. Do some research is all I can recommend.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,481,858 times
Too bad people can't stay on topic. We are trying to decide between Freshaire and Natura as well.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 PM

we painted 3 rooms with freshaire and would buy it again. very limited color choices but they were very nice colors to choose from. we got aviary nest (beige) and one that is soft blue, forget the color.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,481,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggywink View Post
we painted 3 rooms with freshaire and would buy it again. very limited color choices but they were very nice colors to choose from. we got aviary nest (beige) and one that is soft blue, forget the color.
I've read you must use a primer with freshaire, did you?

Seems like it's not needed with Natura

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM

We did not use a primer. One coat was almost enough, but we did two coats to even things out.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 AM

53 posts, read 274,686 times
This year, I have painted 2 rooms with this paint and was highly pleased with the results. Early spring when it was too cold to open windows, I did my dining room. Never had to worry about smells. There is a slight smell to the paint, but I am very sensitive to odors and this did not bother me in the slightest. You couldn't tell by scent that I had even painted when I was done. It's really good paint. I did not use a primer, and used 2 coats to get a nice even look. I also painted my Mom's bedroom and she lives in humid Florida. Her bedroom is the size of 2 rooms. Worked great in that climate as well. I think I'll be sticking to this paint from here on out. No smell, and don't have to worry about VOC's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: