Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 10,470 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I am in a strange situation. I work and live in Philly and my fiancé has just started working in NYC but lives in Iselin NJ. We are getting married this August and would want to live together after marriage.

From the previous forum posts here, I understand that the commute times from Trenton/Hamilton/Lawrenceville/Ewing/Princeton/Morrisville to Philly and NYC are 1 - 1.5 hrs (it might be a little lesser for me). I also understand that the two cities being 120 miles apart means that there is never a comfortable mid-point for both of us and we are willing to compromise and make the long commutes, just as long as we stay together in a nice locality.

So here are the questions:

1. Someone on this forum said NJ is more expensive than PA. We both are not very high earners and would like to keep the rent costs for a 1 bedroom apartment to ideally < $1000. All the areas near Princeton are much more expensive that this. So I was considering Morrisville which would be like a 3 mile drive to Trenton Transit Station. What do you guys think about the place? Someone said all the scum from Trenton comes into Morrisville for cheaper cigarettes, alcohol etc. Is this true? Anyone know of a decent apartment complex or single house in Morrisville?

2. Are there any taxi services available from Morrisville to Trenton Transit Center to and fro? How much does it cost per trip on average?

3. I am also slightly favoring Ewing because of its proximity to the West Trenton station, so I can drop my wife off at Trenton Transit Center and drive back to West Trenton Station, park my car and go to work by train. Is parking free there? How safe is Ewing in general? Any good places to live in Ewing that you guys can suggest?

4. I came to the US as an international student and have lived in Philly for more than 6 years now. As you all know, Philly does not have a very good reputation as being a safe place. I lived here for so long that I know what areas are nice (Art Museum etc) and what places are bad (North Philly etc). How is Trenton different from Philly in this respect? I am sure there must be some pockets of Trenton that are nice and filled with working couples and the typical middle class white population. Am I wrong in assuming that? Are there no safe areas in Trenton at all?

All suggestions are welcome. I am sure I will have more questions as the discussion progresses. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,062,154 times
The West Trenton Station is actually in Ewing, it is serviced by Septa R3 line-http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBS_enUS384&q=septa+r3+line

Parking at this station is limited and fills up fast.

Parts of Ewing are really nice (stay away from the areas closer to the Trenton border).

Have you looked in Hamilton? That station has quite a bit of parking, although I think there is a waiting list for the permits, they have daily spots if you get there early enough. Hamilton has a lot of apartment complexes for you to choose from, again, stay away from the Trenton borders.

I don't know much about Morrisville, but have heard the same things that you have heard about it (and it is a short hop over the bridge from Trenton). The times I've been there, I've seen a LOT of really old, decrepid looking folks. But I don't go there often.

Good luck and congrats on your marriage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey