Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 AM

23 posts, read 60,069 times

Advertisements

how are the south orange maple wood schools?

i am thinking of moving to this town and have two young children.

looking for good schools and quality education. any information would help. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
I grew up and went to school in South Orange/Maplewood. It was a lot of years ago, but my mother continued to live there until 5 years ago so I kept up with local news. I am also a teacher in an urban district.

South Orange and Maplewood offer beautiful homes with a nice community feel and great diversity. They also include outrageous taxes and, in my opinion, lousy services for those taxes.

Now for the schools, I didn't care much for them when I was a student...and I was a very good student. Back when I was a student I saw two of my friends get jumped by "out of towners." Through the years I continued to read issues regarding race relations and again, just last week, there was a major disruption to a pre-prom thing sponsored by the school in Grove Park. At the time, it wasn't known whether the fight was caused by CHS students or "out of towners" again.

In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, I chose not to move into my mother's home to raise my daughter mostly due to the schools. I live at the shore now but if I had to move back up north I would prefer to buy a smaller home in Livingston or Cranford. These towns are much less diverse but the school environment is more to my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey