Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,898 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM

181 posts, read 378,631 times
I would look into Hoboken, Elizabeth, or Woodbridge. Those are the towns that have bridges going into Staten Island

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default south east Fords

Southeast section of Fords in woodbridge township. 5 minutes to the Verazzano narrows bridge/ outerbridge crossing.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
I would look into Hoboken, Elizabeth, or Woodbridge. Those are the towns that have bridges going into Staten Island

Hoboken bridge to Staten Island , I think you meant to put something else.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quichell View Post
Bayonne is right next to Staten Island and has very affordable rent rates, is safe and has decent transportation to the rest of the city. Bayonne and the others that were mentioned, besides Hoboken, don't have much of a singles scene if you care about that. Why Jersey tho? You could just live on the Island, there are some pretty reasonable there, or are you planning to buy? Plus if you live in Jersey you have to pay the $8 charge every time you drive into Staten Island as well as any other borough in the city.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
I think Urban Jersey is cheaper and a better lifestyle for singles then Staten Island , which is more for Family's and older Couples. But Bayonne would be the place for you.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,898 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm being relocated from Central TX to SI with my company and from what I've seen on SI I wasn't too impressed. I want some kind of single's scene late 30's very early 40's so any suggestions in that would be great.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Southeast section of Fords in woodbridge township. 5 minutes to the Verazzano narrows bridge/ outerbridge crossing.
it's not 5 minutes from fords to the verrazano. outerbridge, yes.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quichell View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm being relocated from Central TX to SI with my company and from what I've seen on SI I wasn't too impressed. I want some kind of single's scene late 30's very early 40's so any suggestions in that would be great.
Historic Downtown Section of Jersey City has a very nice singles and Diversity scene form what i see. And its 20 mins form Staten Island by Light Rail > Bus or Car.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,546 times
If it's only a temporary move, Bayonne would be a great fit. It's pretty safe in most areas, and is very close to SI (Bayonne Bridge will get you there) However, if you're thinking long term and of possibly raising a family, you might want to look elsewhere. The public schools are pretty bad, and only getting worse (there are some good private schools though). Just avoid living/being around the areas of 50th St & Broadway, as well as 17th -20th St around Broadway & Boulevard and down by Lord Ave.

I lived in Bayonne in the 90's, but we moved out, mostly because of the schools. Every generation of my father's side of the family (since living in America, at least) lived there their whole lives, but they've all moved out because it's going down the dump. My dad was a Bayonne cop until 2000 or so, and my uncle is still a cop there. As I said, it's relatively safe, but there have been some problems involving gangs from Jersey City making their way in Bayonne and establishing themselves in the not so nice areas. Just stay out of the areas I mentioned earlier, and don't plan to live there too long, and it's a great fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey