Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 17,820 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am taking a new job and moving. My job is at Newark. My husband need to go to Manhattan, We are new to the place. which is the best place for both of us.
Less commute to both or at least for one, safe neighborhood.
Is Newark safe to live with family?

Please help us...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Your form Brooklyn right , its like Brooklyn has good and bad parts. Buy or rent a small House in Forest Hills or The Ironbound and you should be fine. Look at some of my Urban Jersey Photo threads....Newark like most Urban Jersey areas has been slowly improving and crime has been going down aswell. Those 2 areas are the safest in the city and have Transit links to NYC.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-may-25-a.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...s-may-8-a.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ironbound.html

Last edited by DarkWolf; 06-21-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
I'd look at the Ironbound, 180 Raymond Blvd, and Forest Hills. Other places to look at are Harrison (which has a stop on the Path between Newark and WTC) and Kearny.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 PM

52 posts, read 196,183 times
Kearny would probably be a pretty decent option. Depends on how much you're looking to spend, of course...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Take it from someone who actually lives in Newark: don't move here, especially if you're bringing your family.
Schools are among the worst in the state, there's a very serious drug problem, even if it's gotten better it's still very dangerous, street gangs, etc.
I've lived here for 3 years now and cannot wait until I leave.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM

129 posts, read 380,679 times
North Newark near Belleville is not bad.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 PM

137 posts, read 386,254 times
DON'T MOVE TO NEWARK! it's a Crack and Heroin infested Dump! Fenes lean all day on Broad. The Working class mixed right in with the bums and the junkies! NEWARK IS WHAT NYC WAS LIKE BACK IN THE 80S
I came from Brooklyn. Worst mistake oF my life!

Try as someone said Harrison or Kearny or even here I live now East Orange(Border of Orange) or South Orange.

JE

Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Take it from someone who actually lives in Newark: don't move here, especially if you're bringing your family.
Schools are among the worst in the state, there's a very serious drug problem, even if it's gotten better it's still very dangerous, street gangs, etc.
I've lived here for 3 years now and cannot wait until I leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
DON'T MOVE TO NEWARK! it's a Crack and Heroin infested Dump! Fenes lean all day on Broad. The Working class mixed right in with the bums and the junkies! NEWARK IS WHAT NYC WAS LIKE BACK IN THE 80S
I came from Brooklyn. Worst mistake oF my life!

Try as someone said Harrison or Kearny or even here I live now East Orange(Border of Orange) or South Orange.

JE
Ugh , more Newark Bashing? Come on grow up already.......

Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynden View Post
Hello everyone,

I am taking a new job and moving. My job is at Newark. My husband need to go to Manhattan, We are new to the place. which is the best place for both of us.
Less commute to both or at least for one, safe neighborhood.
Is Newark safe to live with family?

Please help us...

Thanks
If you have kids then it's not an option. Even if you are from Brooklyn. But lol at folks suggesting to move to EO(I live here, are u serious Gemini), Harrison(poor air quality/congestion), and Kearny(gang activity throughout despite being a suburb) if you have a family.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 17,820 times
Thanks for all the replies
I would be working part time at beth israel and my husband in manhattan. Is there any close place to the hospital for a family that is safe and also commutable to Manhattan. Lot of you suggested East orange. Our major concern is safety. How safe is east orange close to the nj transit lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey