Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
That isn't downtown, DOWNTOWN is where the high concentration of people should be hence a stores should have no problem opening up. Any downtown NYC,Atlanta, philly, pittsburgh, dc has TONS of stores downtown.

NO it was theft, I saw it with my own eyes multiple times.

No, it's not downtown. If you had read my post carefully, I said stores would do well on PERIPHERY of downtown b/c the Home Depot, etc. do well there. You said the Springfield ave. marketplace wouldn't do well b/c stores were closing downtown, but I pointed out the Springfield ave. marketplace ISN'T downtown.

and 'NO', it wasn't theft (Old Navy), (whether you saw it w/ your own eyes or not), national retailers have been closing under-performing stores

Business Closings in 2009 Due To Economy | Jonathan Klunk - Interior Design Blog | Louisville, KY

Last edited by 66nexus; 07-17-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Oh yea, also feel free to have them tell you there isn't a problem with poor parenting and disfunctional households in the city and keep a straight face.
Thats an american problem not just in Newark. Our Country has a Nationwide problem with that , i blame bad schools and lack of Govt.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
The guy that owns the bar I go to has lived in Newark his whole life. His family has been here since the 1910's. He thinks the city's a dump. Is he not a true Newarker? I've taken history of Newark at RU, studied urban anthropology, and know this city through and through. Coming here and taking pictures of the few respectable areas doesn't qualify you as an authoritarian on the city.
And the rates of difunctional households and poor schools in America are not even close to the rates of single parents with unplanned children in Newark. And why do you think Newark schools are so bad? They spend more money per student than any city in the state? The teachers get paid a lot. Yet the schools are failing. Is it also the schools' fault they have to put a metal detector and do random backpack searches to enter the building? It gets to a point where the parents need to look at themselves in the mirror. The state has bent over backwards to help Newark (school aid and vouchers, urban enterprise tax relief, public housing, all forms of public aid steadily available) yet it's still the town it was before.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The guy that owns the bar I go to has lived in Newark his whole life. His family has been here since the 1910's. He thinks the city's a dump. Is he not a true Newarker? I've taken history of Newark at RU, studied urban anthropology, and know this city through and through. Coming here and taking pictures of the few respectable areas doesn't qualify you as an authoritarian on the city.
And the rates of difunctional households and poor schools in America are not even close to the rates of single parents with unplanned children in Newark. And why do you think Newark schools are so bad? They spend more money per student than any city in the state? The teachers get paid a lot. Yet the schools are failing. Is it also the schools' fault they have to put a metal detector and do random backpack searches to enter the building? It gets to a point where the parents need to look at themselves in the mirror. The state has bent over backwards to help Newark (school aid and vouchers, urban enterprise tax relief, public housing, all forms of public aid steadily available) yet it's still the town it was before.
Curious question for you:

you say this fella's folks have been here since 1910. My question is does that give him the final say on whether Newark is a dump or not?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats an american problem not just in Newark. Our Country has a Nationwide problem with that , i blame bad schools and lack of Govt.
That IS an American problem except I blame TOO much government and not enough parenting.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Lack of government where precisely ? How would more government help NJ ? Abbott ensures that the urban areas have very generous education budgets. The state has all kinds of nanny state laws to prevent us from hurting ourselves.

Is the government responsible for ensuring that these people don't have out of wedlock children, for example ? What kind of authoritarian measures would be needed if the government were to take responsibility for that ? If the government aren't responsible for this, who is ? At what point are you willing to accept personal responsibility ?

Freedom and personal responsibility go hand in hand. If you don't believe in one, you're not a true believer in the other.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Lack of government where precisely ? How would more government help NJ ? Abbott ensures that the urban areas have very generous education budgets. The state has all kinds of nanny state laws to prevent us from hurting ourselves.

Is the government responsible for ensuring that these people don't have out of wedlock children, for example ? What kind of authoritarian measures would be needed if the government were to take responsibility for that ? If the government aren't responsible for this, who is ? At what point are you willing to accept personal responsibility ?

Freedom and personal responsibility go hand in hand. If you don't believe in one, you're not a true believer in the other.
In Urban Jersey there has been a lack of Govt. Not enough programs , Cops , Tax incentives with the Exception of JC. Corruption needs to be wiped out in this state among other things. Why do you care your form PA , which is just as bad as NJ in the Urban areas. PA cities are worse in my opinion.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
In Urban Jersey there has been a lack of Govt. Not enough programs , Cops , Tax incentives with the Exception of JC.
Where is your proof that more government programs would fix whatever problems exist ? Is government any smaller in NJ than anywhere else ?

Quote:
Corruption needs to be wiped out in this state among other things.
Corruption is the result of a combination of the government doing too much, and the population taking too little interest in what is going on. Corruption is almost universally a bigger problem in places where people thing that government is the solution.

Quote:
Why do you care your form PA , which is just as bad as NJ in the Urban areas. PA cities are worse in my opinion.
I lived in Newark and Jersey City for 10 years. That's why I'm interested in NJ. How is that relevant anyway ?

btw, Philly is doing better than any city in NJ.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:22 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
This might be the first time in history someone has said New Jersey doesn't have enough government. Newark has been given every opportunity to change: unfathomable sums of money to the schools, urban enterprise tax breaks, all sorts of public works jobs, public housing, etc. The horse will not drink the water.
And yes, I lived in Philly for 12 years. I would rather live there than Newark in a heartbeat.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:05 PM

431 posts, read 942,672 times
NJ has TO much government hence why we are in a fiscal mess and Christie is privatizing and cutting as much as he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey