Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 15,808 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Northern NJ from Vienna, VA. I have 3 young children (7,5,3). We are looking for a very family-friendly town with excellent public schools.

Has anyone lived in Vienna and knows which Northern NJ town is most like it?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
I have been to Vienna VA just one time but I can tell you that It does resemble a lot of NJ towns around central NJ, Somerset, Morris, Middlesex counties.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
How much do you have to spend? And what do you mean, exactly, by "very family friendly"?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 13,190 times
I grew up in North Jersey. I have lived in Fairfax Station for the past 8 years. I would move to Montville, Mountain Lakes or Boonton Township. If you need to be closer to the city I would look in Bergen County - Ridgewood, Washington Township or Westwood.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
How much do you have to spend? And what do you mean, exactly, by "very family friendly"?
Between $600K - $800K.

I mean a town where there are mostly families with children and a lot of things that cater to families - like restaurants, shops, activities, parades, rec centers, parks, etc.

Are you familiar with Vienna?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks! I will look into those places.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca96 View Post
Between $600K - $800K.

I mean a town where there are mostly families with children and a lot of things that cater to families - like restaurants, shops, activities, parades, rec centers, parks, etc.

Are you familiar with Vienna?
Somewhat. I lived in DC most of my life, but it was in Dupont Circle rather than the suburbs. I grew up in Plainfield, NJ, which was a nice place once upon a time...not now, though.

I don't know where Vienna places on the progressive/conservative spectrum. I know Fairfax (City) is home to many on the Family Research Council. Is that the kind of "family-friendly" environment you're looking for?

If you're thinking in terms of a more general family friendliness, what about Montclair? My aunt brought up six kids there. If I were to move back to NJ, it's the first place I'd look. Its housing features different grades of expensive, and it apparently manages to be simultaneously family-friendly and gay-friendly. Its housing stock is older than Vienna's, but in a good way: lots of really nice houses built before the Great Depression. I imagine it has all of the amenities you specify. New York Magazine called it "The Upper West Side of New Jersey" a few years back, meaning that while your next-door neighbors on each side are bringing up children, the ones on your right might be two men, on your left, an interracial couple.

Here are some houses for sale in Montclair in your price range: Montclair NJ Real Estate for Sale : Weichert.com

BTW, where will you be working? That's super-important. New York and its suburbs take up a lot more physical space than DC and its environs.

Last edited by jay5835; 10-30-2010 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 AM

96 posts, read 284,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca96 View Post
We are relocating to Northern NJ from Vienna, VA. I have 3 young children (7,5,3). We are looking for a very family-friendly town with excellent public schools.

Has anyone lived in Vienna and knows which Northern NJ town is most like it?

Thank you!
If you're looking to duplicate where you currently live....I'd suggest you stay put.
What is the point of making a move to a different State and expect it to be exactly like the one you're moving from?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCali View Post
If you're looking to duplicate where you currently live....I'd suggest you stay put.
What is the point of making a move to a different State and expect it to be exactly like the one you're moving from?
My thought exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey