Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a good beach to go to. I have relatives coming and I am trying to figure out what beach to take them to. I want to go to one that has a nice boardwalk and some other things to do. The only beaches I have been to around here are Sea Bright and Seaside Heights. I thought Seaside was okay, but I was there during the mini heatwave in April so it wasn't that crowded yet. I live in North Jersey so Wildwood is too far. Is Seaside the best for what I am looking for or is there something better or equal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM

273 posts, read 957,264 times
Consider Point Pleasant. Although smaller, it is a bit more civilized than Seaside, especially at night.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM

I was looking on google for best boardwalks and that was one of the ones on the list. How much smaller is it? Does it have as much to do? Also on the list is Asbury Park and Keansburg(eventhough it says it doesn't really have an official boardwalk) how are those two?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
Seaside Park is nice--right next to Seaside Heights so you can go to the boardwalk, but quieter. Beaches are superb (what's left of them, sadly they get smaller every year, it seems).

Have fun.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 PM

273 posts, read 957,264 times
It depends on what you seek: your priorities, length of stay, and ages of the people. The Seaside Heights/Park amusement area is contiguous and about 1/2 mile of built-up boardwalk i.e. food, arcades, two large amusement piers, two large carousels, a few bars, some chintzy shops, many 'game' wheels etc. Some of it resembles a carnival. On either end of the developed area is more open boardwalk.

Total total length of SSH/SSP boards is about 2.5 miles. I think PP is about 1/2 of that, maybe less, but probably still 'enough'. My guess is either would do you well.

If you are really a beach fan, one of the best on the Jersey Coast (or more) is Island Beach State Park, at the southern end of the Seaside barrier island. It is 7 miles of nearly undeveloped beach/dunes with a road down the middle. There are 2 large state run beaches with parking areas, showers, food stands etc. There are also smaller parking areas, all with very nice beaches, They do 'fill up' quickly (limited parking) on busy summer days, especially on nice weather weekends.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 AM

36 posts, read 104,898 times
I grew up in Seaside heights and moved to Ortley beachstayed in the area till I was 30 moved north for work.
As a local that likes to be left alone, I found myself going a few blocks north to Lavallette for quiet beach time... Late afternoon surfing sessions were in Ortley at the end of my old block of Coolidge ave. When I am done with beach its a 1 mile ride to the seaside Heights.

Ortley beach just north of SSH is a big Toms River local place and becomes too crowded on nice weekends for standard beach use, that is why Lavallette was a better choice.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post
It depends on what you seek: your priorities, length of stay, and ages of the people. The Seaside Heights/Park amusement area is contiguous and about 1/2 mile of built-up boardwalk i.e. food, arcades, two large amusement piers, two large carousels, a few bars, some chintzy shops, many 'game' wheels etc. Some of it resembles a carnival. On either end of the developed area is more open boardwalk.

Total total length of SSH/SSP boards is about 2.5 miles. I think PP is about 1/2 of that, maybe less, but probably still 'enough'. My guess is either would do you well.

If you are really a beach fan, one of the best on the Jersey Coast (or more) is Island Beach State Park, at the southern end of the Seaside barrier island. It is 7 miles of nearly undeveloped beach/dunes with a road down the middle. There are 2 large state run beaches with parking areas, showers, food stands etc. There are also smaller parking areas, all with very nice beaches, They do 'fill up' quickly (limited parking) on busy summer days, especially on nice weather weekends.

Thanks. I like that Seaside has amusement parks and so much on the boardwalk from the pictures I see of PP it looks similar, but I guess it doesn't have quite as much.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 7,757 times
Point Pleasant is nicer in my opinion, and as a bonus its a bit closer than seaside heights.

If you have young kids I would highly recommend making the drive to Ocean City. Its waay down in cape may county, but probably the most family oriented boardwalk on the jersey shore.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeHighlander View Post
Point Pleasant is nicer in my opinion, and as a bonus its a bit closer than seaside heights.

If you have young kids I would highly recommend making the drive to Ocean City. Its waay down in cape may county, but probably the most family oriented boardwalk on the jersey shore.

I was looking into that as well, but it is just so far. Does it have an amusement park?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I was looking into that as well, but it is just so far. Does it have an amusement park?
I haven't been there in about 10 years, but they did have a couple good size amusement centers on the boardwalk back then. Just kid rides, nothing big. Probably even more amusements now since the town has been growing in popularity since then. I spent every summer there as a kid in the 80's and early 90's and have lots of great memories. Just be advised its a dry town (no bars) if you are looking for nightlife.

Its kinda far for a day trip, but worth considering for a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey