Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 PM

63 posts, read 253,657 times

Advertisements

I sent my Nissan Quest 94 to be serviced at dealer off Rt 1 near Rahway, and when I picked it up, I got charged near $3,000 with a stack of paper. When I dispute, I was told the auto mechanics labor was very expensive, when I asked how expensive, they said $85 an hour, but I told them I only left my van there for 4 hours, then they were a bit scared like theft got caught. The general manager told me because I am VIP and rush to service the car, so they got 5 mechanics service my van at the same time, so I needed to multiply by 5. But still it is not $3,000. So, they admit they made a mistake and gave me $1,600+ refund.

Later I met an auto mechanics working there told me he only got paid $17 an hour, and there NEVER 5 mechanics service one car, in fact, he has to be in charge of TWO bays. He was always instruct to jack up the car and pretend to service the car till customer left, then back to the other car he was servicing. That is to say, dealer charging $170 an hour from customer, whereas their mechanics only make $17 an hour. Even worse, auto mechanics need to be there 9am to 5pm, but if there were only 3 hour job that day, he only get paid 3 hours, i.e. $17 x 3 = $51.

So, I am wondering how others avoid dishonest auto mechanics or repair shop, or dealer? If you have good tip, please share with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
Couple of issues here:

1) The per hour labor rate is not equal to the amount per hour the mechanics are paid. The amount paid is based on seniority and certification. Even the most senior mechanics, though, are not going to be $85 an hour. The balance of the amount you pay goes for benefits and other costs associated with maintaining service shops.

2) Knowing which dealer you went to, I'm not surprised. While I won't name the dealer, anyone familiar with New Jersey auto dealers will know that dealer is as crooked as they come.

In answer to your question about avoiding "dishonest" repair shops or dealers, it really is a crapshoot. You need to talk with others and learn about each shop.

I'd also suggest checking out the list of forums for cars. This isn't so much for information about specific repair shops as it is a place to talk about the vehicles, problems and ways to keep the vehicle up. AutoGuide.com Forum Network - Automotive Enthusiast Forum Network

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:18 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
While on the surface it sounds like the repair bill is high, it's hard to say without having some idea as to what was done. Are we talking about an oil change and tire rotation, or a transmission replacement?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I drove my Nissan Quest 94 in for 60,000 miles maintenance. I believe that job was well defined by most dealers, except my van is far more than 60,000 miles. It is over 130,000 miles; it has been great, not much of the problem, but I just thought it may be good to have full services.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,902 times
One way to avoid having dishonest auto mechanics is to post them here, so we all know who to avoid. Does anyone know a good, reliable, honest auto mechanic?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Now, my auto mechanics friend worked at that dealer, heard my story, later started his own auto service at his home off Rt 1 near North Brunswick, and charging $85 an hour. He worked like dentist, living in the house, and service car at his garage at backyard. After all, why earn $17 an hour, while can make $85 an hour?

----------------------------------
1) The per hour labor rate is not equal to the amount per hour the mechanics are paid. The amount paid is based on seniority and certification. Even the most senior mechanics, though, are not going to be $85 an hour. The balance of the amount you pay goes for benefits and other costs associated with maintaining service shops.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:37 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
Can we include "Lazy" in this thread ?? I have a slow leak in my tire. My car is a new Honda and the tires are not cheap ... I went to this shop, "Timmys" in Westwood and asked if he could check it for me. He was sitting behind a computer, doing nothing. And, he replied, "Everyone's out to lunch and I'm busy, fill it with air". Nice !! I said, "You know what, do you have a tire gage, I'll buy it from you and fill it myself". He said, "NO! I don't". I replied, "How do you not have a tire gage, it's a repair shop". He shot me a dirty look, got up off his butt and filled it and then said, "I'm busy- come back another day".

So mean !!!! I'm never going back.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM

The problem, is that, after a while, my friend started practicing like that dealer I sent my Nissan Quest 94 and he worked for. So, he asked customers to leave the cars, and double or tripple charged them. How?

He would service 2 or 3 cars at the same time, say, if total elapsed time is 3 hours, he would charge each one of 2 or 3 car customers 3 hours of labor of $85. So, he is making $170 to $255 an hour. In other words, he would make $340,000 to $500,000 a year if he work 8 hours a day and 5 days a week.

Every time I went, he got new things, like another garage, new BMW, new Honda Odyssey, new Toyota Tacoma ...etc. And, he only need to work a few hours a day and a few days a week.

He is no longer an honest auto mechanics I knew before. That's why I am looking for a replacement.

--------------------------------------
2) Knowing which dealer you went to, I'm not surprised. While I won't name the dealer, anyone familiar with New Jersey auto dealers will know that dealer is as crooked as they come.

In answer to your question about avoiding "dishonest" repair shops or dealers, it really is a crapshoot. You need to talk with others and learn about each shop.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
I always bring my car to the dealer, especially since it's under warranty and new. However, for something simple, such as tires needing air, or fixing leaks I try and go to a local guy ... Which in my case hasn't been so pleasant.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:04 PM

Default You can get a jump starter/inflator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Can we include "Lazy" in this thread ?? I have a slow leak in my tire. My car is a new Honda and the tires are not cheap ... I went to this shop, "Timmys" in Westwood and asked if he could check it for me. He was sitting behind a computer, doing nothing. And, he replied, "Everyone's out to lunch and I'm busy, fill it with air". Nice !! I said, "You know what, do you have a tire gage, I'll buy it from you and fill it myself". He said, "NO! I don't". I replied, "How do you not have a tire gage, it's a repair shop". He shot me a dirty look, got up off his butt and filled it and then said, "I'm busy- come back another day".

So mean !!!! I'm never going back.
You may get ajump starter/inflatoras I did. I learned this from AAA rescue mechanics. In fact, I also have a tire on my Toyota Corolla 1990 that has slow leak. But, because I got a jump starter/inflator, I can easily inflate the tire every couple weeks, instead of going to gas station and pay to inflate. It is very handy.

And because I did it myself for all these years, I found that auto mechanics' tire pressure suggestion may be wrong. e.g. they told me to have 28 psi, but I end up always pump 35 psi, and till it leak to 28 psi after weeks, and repump. One thing I found was my millage increased, a lot. My other 3 tires having 41 psi.

It seems to me your new Honda tire is fine, but your rim may be a bit concave due to the fact you may have hit a "big pothole". It happened to mine too since when I replaced a new tire at Bridge Auto at Middlesex Mall, and I got a leak and went back, I saw their mechanics to take off the new tire they put for me, and use hammer to ham smooth my tire rim, and put glue before put the new tire back and inflated. It was perfected, no leaking. They did not charged me because it was the same job; however, for another tire I did lately, they charged me labor $20. I think it was till better than the Sears across street wanted me to replace 2 new tires, each charged me $70+, in addition to other unnecessary service like realignment, balancing ...etc. (no wonder Sears now went out of business).

Later, when I saw roads with potholes, I am very cautious, and I would keep public works of various townships handy can called to report pot holes. By law, they have to patch within 48 hours when reported. This will my myself and maybe many others like you.

Last edited by Toyota1990; 06-27-2010 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: forgot to put the link of photos of jump starter/inflator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey