Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 34,598 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends!
We are looking at a colonial (1940's) house for 385K in ParkRidge (quiet street).
Need help deciding if this would be a good option to raise a family!

1st floor
Huge Kithcen - granite counter tops, stainless steel furniture
Living Room
Dining room
sun room
small den (though it looks very old since it is has slanting floors).
Desk - wood
Vinyl sidings.
1 full bath (newly done)

2nd floor
3 bedrooms - very small and small closets!

No central Air - will need to do windows AC

Basement unfinished

75*100 lot

this is our first home and we are worried that small bedrooms and small closet space may cause a problem in future.

Does anyone know the following?
1. is it possible to extend a colonial house to make 2nd level bigger. this house does seem to have space on the side (above the 1st floor den)
2. how is the school system of Park Ridge compared to Emerson?
3. Should central AC be a deal-breaker?
4. Is it a good deal over all?

Look forward to all your help since we are new to NJ and this would be our first home!

Thanks in advance!
NatKav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I don't know about the schools. How small is small for the rooms?

Central AC is not normal or standard on small old homes.
Additions are expensive...but not necessarily so much if you are basically putting floors, walls and a roof over an existing structure.

Overall for a 3/1 in Park Ridge sounds fair with a new bath and kitchen. You might check out Midland Park also.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Is there only one bathroom (full or half) in the whole house? That would be a deal breaker for me. I would find that to be a pain getting ready every morning especially if you have kids. Central AC is definitely possible for a house of that age. I live in a 1940's house and central AC was installed by a previous owner. Several other older houses on my block also have it so it's not that uncommon.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Sorry to clarify, I mean that it is not normal or standard on a 385k house. I would not "expect" it. Ours also had central air when we bought it.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 34,598 times
this one has 2 full baths. newly done.
yes no ACs. is it possible to add central AC to house such old? actually it is advertised to be 1940's house but i saw on chase website and they say it is 1920's house....
am guessing most houses in NJ are this old....but 1920's is little too old to buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey