Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,018 times

Advertisements

The lights are for other people to see you. I just leave mine on at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Sure get your legislators to pass more feel good laws from which the municipalities can generate more funds...all in the name of safety. It is apparently no fun to let cars roll through stop signs so we'll just ignore that minor infraction.

No lights in the left lane while on the cell phone doing 85, license plate lite out, looks like you weren't wearing a seat belt, and that obstruction in the windshield...oh that's just a gold shield blocking your forward vision, it's ok I'll just write you up for the frame around your license plate.

Please pay the cashier on your way out, welcome to Nj don't let the big rigs hit you in the butt.....in the travel lane.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The lights on/wipers on law is designed to ensure other cars see YOU in rainy conditions, it does not matter that you didn't actually have your wipers on, it matters that it was pouring rain and you didn't have your lights on and therefore lacked visibility.
Agreed. Using this logic, you could say I can see the other cars fine, why should I have to turn on my headlights at night?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,145 times
What year car do you have? Most cars have lights that turn on automatically

Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,677 times
2010 vw jetta
it wasn't raining, it was a overcast type day and visibility was good.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
I never heard of Rain-X and I live in NJ, and have a new car.

I can't believe he gave you a ticket for that, WOW ! He must have been in a bad mood ... It's funny, they pull people over for that, YET, 1 out of 4 drivers are on their cell, texting/chatting, and no hands free ! The cops could really crack down and make a lot of money for the municipalities if they wanted to .... That was one stupid frivolous law to pass.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
The Rain-x guy was from 2 years ago. Joker asked a new question yesterday.

Did he stop you for something else, and give you a no-points ticket as a way to give you a break from a speeding ticket or something?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Whatever happened to BergenCountyJohnny?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
So the reason for the headlights on during wiper use is to tell the police that in fact you are using your wipers? Sort of like external indicator lights.

I don't know maybe it's just me but I though the light's on rule was so that other drivers could see you when vision is poor when it's raining.

Pay the fine and stop trying to get sympathy from people who do obey the rules.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
There is no loophole in the law. It says that lamps are required whenever rain requires the use of windshield wipers by "motorists." It's not talking about whether the driver of the particular car requires them. It's talking about when motorists in general would require the use of windshield wipers. Otherwise anyone could avoid the ticket by saying they weren't "required" to use their wipers because they could see without them. It's not a subject law. Plus, as others pointed out, the law wasn't designed to help the person in the car see better, it was designed to allow other people to see you. That's why the law talks about "motorists" and not the driver. What's the big deal about turning your lights on anyway? If someone hits you in the rain and you don't have your lights on you're going to be at least partially responsible, even if you might not have been had you had your lights on.

Anyway, since this guy is gone, I think you still have the responsibility of turning on your lights if you have running lights. Is there an override?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: