Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 PM

877 posts, read 2,829,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpesq View Post
Interesting, I'd say that Woodbridge cops are far less tolerable than Highland Park cops. Though, admittedly, I don't have much personal experience with either. Just observations I've made over the years.

Don't know what Catholic schools you're going to find in the Highland Park area since it's a predominately Jewish area.

Of the pick, I'd go with Bridgewater, but you won't have the "Main St." feel. If that's what you're looking for, try Somerset... If you can do Middlesex County, maybe Metuchen? Plenty of great Catholic schools nearby: St. Helena or St. Francis grammar schools and St. Joes or Bishop Ahr high schools...
Actually I don't have experience with Woodbridge cops, but my friend was driving through Main St area once doing like 5mph over and the cop pulls him over and says something like "I see you got a guitar in the back seat, if you play me a song I'll let you off." And my friend was all panicky and confused at the same time and then the cop says "I'm just kidding, just try to go a little slower next time" and didn't give him a ticket or anything. Meanwhile since he grew up in Highland Pk he constantly says "if they ever pull you over tell them you know me."

Metuchen is good, IMO traffic there though is worse than Woodbridge. In fact, Metuchen's traffic is THE WORST in the Northern Middlesex County area. Other than that it's a very nice town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM

17 posts, read 48,181 times
NJ Forum friends, thanks so much for all the suggestions and feedback. I'm headed down to NJ on Sunday through Wednesday and will keep you posted on what I learn - I'm sure I'll have more questions too!!!! Again, thank you for all your help...
MelanieNY, you're probably right - but if you're looking for a house to rent in the short term, I may have just the one for you

Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Like I said, I've traveled it for 20 years, and it's not bad - there's very little traffic from B'water through to Edison, believe me. I'd venture to say it's better than Rt 1 or 18, that's for sure.

Any it's easier for someone in Somerset to get to the Poconos, if that's relevant.

Somerset has easy access to 202/206/78/287/22 - I'd call those highways too.

And for the record, I don't live or work in Somerset.

ETA - you didn't explain your "landlocked" comment.
Never had a reason to go to the Poconos. 202 and 206 could be I guess if you are near the Somerville circle, and I honestly am not that familiar with the bulk of 202, but 206 is a 2-lane road (one each way) throughout most of its length in north Jersey. And with roads like that I consider a landlock because if you're stuck behind one person you're screwed.

OK I guess Bridgewater/Somerville area is less of a landlock than other places in the county. As long as you're near a highway it could be convenient. I always thought 287 was unbearably bad though during the rushes.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,606,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Never had a reason to go to the Poconos. 202 and 206 could be I guess if you are near the Somerville circle, and I honestly am not that familiar with the bulk of 202, but 206 is a 2-lane road (one each way) throughout most of its length in north Jersey. And with roads like that I consider a landlock because if you're stuck behind one person you're screwed.

OK I guess Bridgewater/Somerville area is less of a landlock than other places in the county. As long as you're near a highway it could be convenient. I always thought 287 was unbearably bad though during the rushes.
again, 206 and 287 in those directions are not bad. i don't know how else to put it.

my poconos comment was just a retort to your suggestion that middlesex county is a better choice because it's near the shore. if that's a criteria (which is grasping because OP never mentioned it as something important), why don't you suggest Monmouth County? That is way more convenient to the shore than Middlesex. Oh yeah, you don't like Monmouth County. the poconos is closer to Somerset/Morris than Middlesex - for all we know the OP hates the beach and prefers mountains.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
again, 206 and 287 in those directions are not bad. i don't know how else to put it.

my poconos comment was just a retort to your suggestion that middlesex county is a better choice because it's near the shore. if that's a criteria (which is grasping because OP never mentioned it as something important), why don't you suggest Monmouth County? That is way more convenient to the shore than Middlesex. Oh yeah, you don't like Monmouth County. the poconos is closer to Somerset/Morris than Middlesex - for all we know the OP hates the beach and prefers mountains.
Whoaa, nobody ever said anything on this thread about the shore. I said South Jersey meaning the Philly burbs. It's a very easy ride for me to take Rt 1 down to 295 in Lawrenceville and take that all the way down to Cherry Hill since I have family down there. That would be easier from North Brunswick than Bridgewater. You can also merge on to 95 south from Rt 1 in Lawrenceville and get the Scudders Falls Bridge into PA which is free both ways and stay on 95 all the way down to get to Philly.

Come to think of it, though, Middlesex is a pretty even midway point between both the shore and poconos.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM

17 posts, read 48,181 times
Okay friends, new info: while my primary office will be in Woodbridge, I will also be working occasionally out of the office in Little Falls...does that change your recommendations at all? Are there other towns I should be considering? I'm sorry to make this so complicated.
I drove down to NJ this evening, took 380 to 80, to 206 to 278 - saw the exits for several of the towns in Middlesex county we've been talking about so it's nice to see how close they are to the office. Commute is definitely a factor - would Bridgewater be too far out? WEBC, I'm struggling with Woodbridge only because everyone seems to think it's so congested and difficult to get around...am I overthinking it? I'm going to drive around a bit tomorrow night & Tuesday night after work to get a feel for some of the towns you've suggested - thanks so much and I'll keep you posted!
PS: I do love the beach

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM

41 posts, read 170,474 times
Check out Madison NJ. My husband and I just moved here. We are expecting our first. We looked in many areas but fell in love with this one. Tons of kids and families (our street at around 4pm has at least 8 kids on a given afternoon outside playing.) Great public schools (Chatham right next door does too-Madison is a bit pricey and Chatham is even more so though.)
Madison has a great little downtown straight out of central casting with lots of restaurants, and 2 college's in the area so plenty of culture. There is a community pool, lots of parks, and easy access to great shopping (Short hills mall!) - We are right off of 24 or 287, easy access to the train to the city if you ever need it. Another good point - taxes aren't as bad as some other areas.
For 520-550, you can get a very cute 3 bed 2 bath on a small piece of property (.2 acres or so). I'm in real estate so I know the areas all pretty well, and I am certain you'd love Madison.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 AM

89 posts, read 443,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmac View Post
...For 520-550, you can get a very cute 3 bed 2 bath on a small piece of property...
Am I the only one that has a problem with that?!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,318,212 times
Just to offer a slightly less bias these are the towns I lived in in NJ and the only one I would ever consider living in again.
Edison Twp.
South Amboy
Atlantic Highlands
Bridgewater Twp.
Piscataway Twp.
Green Brook Twp.
Dunellen

And the winner is the Martinsville section of Bridgewater Twp.
Better quality of life than the others and the better location

Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM

220 posts, read 622,156 times
My 2 cents...my husband commuted to Woodbridge from Randolph (Morris Cnty) area for years & never had a problem & my kids go to St. Therese in Roxbury (the town over), NJ....we LOVE it here & the school (the school usually holds a waiting list & has won quite a few awards for academics and for their teachers). Wonderful family area, lots to do, tons of parks & green spaces...there is a few Catholic grammar & High schools in the area (which was important to me too when moving here) and the public schools are highly ranked as well. Good luck on your new venture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey