Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on these? Transit/Urban Village consisting of Townhomes and Condos (~600 units) across the street from the Hamilton Train Station (North East Corridor Train to NYC). I commute to NYC, wife works in Princeton, late 20's no kids. The appeal of these units (townhome) would certainly be the ability to walk to the express train which I can't do unless I move to Metuchen and pay 400K+ for a 2 bedroom condo.

The townhomes are 2 bedroom + Den (zoning issues from Hamilton residents protesting the project prevented an all out 3rd bedroom), 2.5 Baths, 1 Car garage and a basement. Prices are 335K for an interior unit, 365k for an exterior. Finishes are bare bones (vinyl floors, formica counters, no appliances, no washer/dryer etc). Taxes ~$8K.

We visited them recently and I like I said, proximity to the train is ideal, however the idea of paying 360K for a bare bones builder grade townhome in Hamilton does not appeal to us. From what I have read up on here Hamilton schools stink, and that area of Hamilton isn't all that nice. Don't see a lot of entertainment in the area either. Is that accurate???

I'm thinking a number closer to 300K is what the units are worth. The other thing that worries us, is the number of units. Will probably be years before this development is finished. I have no doubt that they will be dropping the prices of the units QUICKLY all but obliterating the resale of anyone who buys early at 360K which as I said earlier is too high. Thoughts on the homes/area??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
You should probably find a development that is finished. Due to this Wacky economy it might be years before its done , you never know.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:07 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
There are TONS of townhome developments in this area. To me, based on how you described this, the only appeal to this is the proximity to the train. Although that is a big appeal, the reality is if you're living in Jersey, you need a car, so the fact you can walk to the train isn't really a huge huge deal.

For example, I live in a townhome in Robbinsville and I can get to Hamilton Train Station in 15 minutes. For the prices they are asking you can get a very nice 3 bed/2.5 bath townhome in Robbinsville, a much nicer area with much more in the ways of shopping/dining/entertainment. And a decent although over burdened school system.

Another thing to keep in mind is re-sale. A townhome next to a train station is appealing to some for sure, but not everyone.

Just my thoughts...

Old 07-09-2010, 02:21 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
Do you live in Washington Towne Center?? That community is nicer, and so is Robbinsville, but you add 15 min here, 5 min to walk from car to platform, 5 min buffer time, you're now talking almost an extra half hour.

I know Robbinsville is nicer, but I'm talking first home purchase, and I dont want to screw myself from the get go with a bad commute I end up hating. Very frustrating lol.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Do you live in Washington Towne Center?? That community is nicer, and so is Robbinsville, but you add 15 min here, 5 min to walk from car to platform, 5 min buffer time, you're now talking almost an extra half hour.

I know Robbinsville is nicer, but I'm talking first home purchase, and I dont want to screw myself from the get go with a bad commute I end up hating. Very frustrating lol.
I live in a Different WT , but i do have town houses in my town. With a Bus stop to NYC which is very popular.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post

I hear you, the drive home from the train can be annoying especially after a rough commute. I would check out both towns, and get a feel for them. The area around Hamilton Train Station is not nice at all. I live in Foxmoor which is right next to Town Center.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 10,612 times
Default Hamilton Area Near Train Station

FYI across the street from the train station are movies thearters. It is known that they have GANG activity in that area. I grew up in Hamilton and there are a lot of great areas for housing, this is not one of the areas I would look at. Plus new consruction be careful is the builder well known, lots of new constructino starts and the builder go under right now with the economy. There are older townhomes near the Park Abbot Commons and right down the road from that are 3 other townshouse communities that area is a nice area to be in. Those would run $225-300 depending on size.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,634 times
Area around Hamilton Station not nice at all? Is it like a high crime area?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 10,406 times
I think a few people are way off with their information. First, addressing Gang Activity at the AMC Theatre, that was about 5-10 years ago, there is always a Hamilton Police presence in and around the theatre on Thur., Fri., and Sat. nights after 7pm -- once they started doing this years ago, the Gang Issues moved back into Trenton where they were coming from. Second, area: Cornell Heights is a lovely neighborhood "behind" the train station where the new townhouse development will be. As a resident there, I'm not thrilled about the 100s of townhomes being built because of what the traffic "could" be, but it is going up, so we must adapt. Third, yes, Robbinsville is lovely, but, in addition to the 15 minute drive, you should consider the $125 monthly parking cost at the station lot, which by the way is filled to the near top levels by 7AM. You can go on HamiltonNJ.com and see that the crime stats are very low in this area -- there are many long time Hamiltonians and many new young families moving to the area because they commute to NYC and living near the station is convenient. Also, when the townhomes are done, there is supposed to be shops put into the old American Standard building, i.e., drug stores, restaurants, markets, etc. Other stores are located quite close, as is the typical fast food places, movie theatre, gym, etc.

Do your own homework and come by on a Saturday when the neighborhood is home and then come back during the week when most are at work, this gives you a better idea of the neighborhood.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM

736 posts, read 1,694,634 times
Is the Crossings at Hamilton Station also known as the Crossings at Ewing? Or are they two different communities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey