Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 PM

53 posts, read 202,842 times

Advertisements

Fair point and response Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yeah, because there's no "safe old NC suburbs".....

Why do people constantly compare a proper city like Charlotte or Atlanta to "the safe old suburbs"? If you want to compare apples to apples, compare Charlotte or Atlanta to Newark or Jersey City, and compare the NJ suburbs to the NC, GA, or whatever state's suburbs.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Charlotte or Atlanta either, just like I wouldn't live in Newark or Jersey City. There are, however, plenty of suburbs surrounding any of those cities that are more than safe enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 AM

315 posts, read 871,361 times
When I was younger I moved around quite a bit- The only place Ive regreted leaving was Boulder,CO-

I think many of us just have too much NJ blood- roots,family,long time ties to the area- and NY-

NJ I think is more ethnic and family oriented ,than NC. I would guess not too many leave NC for NJ** Generations have lived in the same towns in NJ -maybe the same house- I dont know about NC- It seems like NC was the flavor of the month a few yrs ago-
-but I think the migration has slowed. At least 4 people moved down there from where I worked- I have no idea if they stayed, we lost touch- as "work friends " often do- but like I mentioned that was a couple yrs ago-before this recession hit hard

i HOPE things get better, Im starting to get concerned that retiring in NJ might be tough. At 54 now ,I would like to think that Im finished bouncing around- -but recently my positon was outsourced to Korea after 15 yrs of loyal employment, and I dont see NJ bouncing back in manufactoring, or production- a lot of that type of business is moving south (cheaper commercial property, and lower wages- - or moving overseas)- I hate re-inventing myself but it appears that is what I need to do to stay and work in Northern Jersey

Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
Stop the insanity comparing NJ and Charlotte to Crime. Not even close!!!
Read the Jersey Journal lately sport?
Please. The NJ suburbs do not have issues with petty nuisance crimes that you find in Charlotte suburbs.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 AM

385 posts, read 890,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Please. The NJ suburbs do not have issues with petty nuisance crimes that you find in Charlotte suburbs.
You are correct about petty crimes... their crimes are MUCH worse. Probably why you have towns in NJ building walls and closing streets at night to keep neighboring towns out.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
You are correct about petty crimes... their crimes are MUCH worse. Probably why you have towns in NJ building walls and closing streets at night to keep neighboring towns out.
NC has a higher crime rate than NJ.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,886 times
Housing- not even close comparison.
Taxes-Don't get me started

I laughed out loud on that statement! So true! I moved away from NJ over 10 years ago. Live in FL now but am considering moving to NC. I miss my family at the Jersey shore but could never afford to go back.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dflorida View Post
Housing- not even close comparison.
Taxes-Don't get me started

I laughed out loud on that statement! So true! I moved away from NJ over 10 years ago. Live in FL now but am considering moving to NC. I miss my family at the Jersey shore but could never afford to go back.
That would make you a half-back.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times
I have been in NC for 2 years now. Moved from beautiful Hunterdon County to Rural Lincoln County near Charlotte. I would move back to NJ in a heartbeat if I could sell my house for close to what I paid. New Jersey is my home!!!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:10 PM

13 posts, read 32,972 times
I live in North Charlotte,but I would go back to N.J too ssd3.It's my home also!!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:08 AM

116 posts, read 298,653 times
I recognize a couple of "you guys" on this thread. LOL.

The spouse and I relocated six years ago from NJ to NC. While there are good and bad to each area, overall NC was still the best choice. Who the hell can afford the property taxes in NJ? It's insane. If you are lower middle to middle class, you cannot afford to retire in NJ. And you get to a certain point and age, where the cold winters in NW NJ are just too much. The traffic/commute on Route 80 every day is a friggin nightmare. NC Natives here that complain about traffic, have no idea. At least the traffic here MOVES in the morning.

Yeah, you miss a lot of stuff (Italian bread, delis, etc.), some of which you can get here, you just have to know where to go. And there is more bigotry and racism here, you'll have to trust me on that one. Like ssd3, we reside in Lincoln County, and there are good and bad points to the area. There is no Nirvana. Even if we could afford to go back, we wouldn't, we probably would head out West. Overall, pros and cons, NC is still the better choice than NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey