Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P05t3r View Post
So which bus and which jitney. I could take the train to hoboken and then take the light rail to bergenline and from there a bus/jitney to north bergen. Is there a quicker way?
The Bus is cheapest , idk how the jitney works. Some people might feel more comfortable taking the Rail and during Rush Hour it might faster. The Tunnel Traffic spills over affecting the whole area. But it all depends on where you want to go in North Bergen? The only stop North Bergen has is kinda in the middle of no where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 AM

41 posts, read 125,614 times
Default Summit, etc to Midtown

Dear Rail Guru

Hi! Great thread- thanks!

So.. we are moving from Zurich to Northern NJ next summer. My husband is spoiled with his 30 minute, on-time, super flexible commute here. Before living in Zurich, we lived in Bermuda, where he had a 15 minute scooter ride, along the shore.

The last 8 1/2 years have been pretty relaxed ones for him! And, he wants to have that feeling continue as much as possible - he is all about the commute.

He will have an office at 430 Park Ave (cross street: 56th street), an office in Berkeley Heights, and will have to fly to Bermuda and Zurich occasionally (EWR). Because of the latter two, and because we have 4 kids and have heard they are very nice areas, we are concentrating on Summit/Short Hills/Millburn.

Given the criteria above, where would you choose to live? For example, it looks to my untrained eye, that, in the morning, there are a couple of fast, mid-town direct trains from Summit, but really on one from Milburn Short Hills. Also - he definitely prefers trains over bus.

Any tips, hints, tricks would be super appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissOnion View Post
Dear Rail Guru

Hi! Great thread- thanks!

So.. we are moving from Zurich to Northern NJ next summer. My husband is spoiled with his 30 minute, on-time, super flexible commute here. Before living in Zurich, we lived in Bermuda, where he had a 15 minute scooter ride, along the shore.

The last 8 1/2 years have been pretty relaxed ones for him! And, he wants to have that feeling continue as much as possible - he is all about the commute.

He will have an office at 430 Park Ave (cross street: 56th street), an office in Berkeley Heights, and will have to fly to Bermuda and Zurich occasionally (EWR). Because of the latter two, and because we have 4 kids and have heard they are very nice areas, we are concentrating on Summit/Short Hills/Millburn.

Given the criteria above, where would you choose to live? For example, it looks to my untrained eye, that, in the morning, there are a couple of fast, mid-town direct trains from Summit, but really on one from Milburn Short Hills. Also - he definitely prefers trains over bus.

Any tips, hints, tricks would be super appreciated! Thanks!
Yikes thats alot......hmmmmm.....

I would ask the other members about those 3 towns , there all the same but differ slightly. As for commutes all three towns are about the same for commuting to NYC and EWR. To get to NYC you can use Summit , Short Hills , or Millburn stations.

You take Morris & Essex or Gladstone line train to NY Penn Station. At NY Penn Station you have to go to street level and walk over to 32nd Street which right across the street going Eastward. On 32nd Street you have to take the M04 Bus and that will drop you off a block form your workplace. Once you get off the bus its a block east and south around the block of Madison & 56th Street. There are a few ALt buss routes and it depends on what hr your going to be heading into the city. I would test that route a few times before i would actually start it.

Taking the train to Berkeley heights form either one of those towns is absurd so use your car , its only a few miles.

To get form those towns to EWR , you have to take a Morris & Essex , Gladstone line train to Newark Board Street and Transfer downstairs to the Newark Light Rail. You take the Newark Light Rail to Penn Station. Once at Penn Station you have to purchase a ticket at one of the machines for the Northeast Corridor or North Jersey Coast line. Make sure it stops at EWR some skip the airport. You go into the main lobby and on the big Solari Board it should say EWR or on the mini boards around the station or ask a ticket person. It might be easier for you to go to the Ticket window and purchase a ticket that way because they will tell you which train goes to EWR.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you!

I should have mentioned that he will drive to Berkeley Heights, and probably to EWR as well.

So, the biggest and only train commute will be to Park and 56th.

Summit, Short Hills, Millburn: all about the same amount of time? Have you ever heard about people commenting on how they love living in Summit because they get a seat every morning, not like those people Millburn people who have to stand? Or how the express train from Summit is never on time, but the one from Short Hills is? That sort of thing...

My husband is an actuary, is a bit OCD about this sort of thing. He literally times his watch every morning with the Swiss Train website - I am not kidding!

Thanks again!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 AM

Summit is a Major station so that might be true , although the have higher capacity trains during the rush hours. So it won't get crowded till after the Oranges and Newark. All 3 towns are all about the same 3-5 mins difference. Those lines have trains every 10-20 mins during rush hour.....It will take between 1.2 hrs form those 3 towns to the final destination according to Google but i would put that an hr and 45 mins due to the foot traffic and possible delays on the tracks.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,783 times
What the best way to get to Ridgewood from JFK airport? I'm coming to Jersey around October this year from Thailand. Thanks a lot!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosesaz View Post
What the best way to get to Ridgewood from JFK airport? I'm coming to Jersey around October this year from Thailand. Thanks a lot!
You take the Airtrain form JFK to Jamaica station.
At Jamaica station you take LIRR Train to NY Penn Station.
At NY Penn Station you take a Northeast Corridor , Morris & Essex , or North Jersey Coast line train (doesn't matter which one as long as they stop at Secaucus) to Secaucus JCT (next stop).
Once at Secaucus JCT you transfer to the lower level and your given the choice of the Main or Bergen lines it should say stopping at Ridgewood if it doesn't then don't take that train. Up in the Concourse levels they have boards that list the towns Ridgewood is usually up there.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 07-12-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissOnion View Post
Thank you!

I should have mentioned that he will drive to Berkeley Heights, and probably to EWR as well.

So, the biggest and only train commute will be to Park and 56th.

Summit, Short Hills, Millburn: all about the same amount of time? Have you ever heard about people commenting on how they love living in Summit because they get a seat every morning, not like those people Millburn people who have to stand? Or how the express train from Summit is never on time, but the one from Short Hills is? That sort of thing...
I hope he's ready for a much longer (and more involved) commute than what he has now. The train rides alone from any of those stations are in the 35-40 minute range on the express trains, and the better part of an hour on the locals. Add in a bus or subway ride for the +/- 25 blocks from Penn Station to the office, plus time to get to the station, wait for the train, and make the transfer from the train to the bus/subway, and he's an easy 1.5 to 2 hours door to door on a good day (with the express train). It's definitely not the leisurely 15 or 30 minute commutes he's had in the past.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Default I know...

My poor husband: I know that he is giving up a super easy commute for one that is not so easy...

Still: I think Summit is the best solution.. pain in the neck to Midtown East, but easy drive to Berkeley Heights and Newark airport.

Am I missing some town that is glaringly obvious here? Geez - if we didn't have any kids, or, perhaps, just one, we might just live in Manhattan Not so easy to do with 4 of 'em...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
My grandfather commuted from Westfield to NYC for decades.

Tell me about his journey please.
That depends a lot on which decades they were. For the last five decades or so, he would have boarded a Raritan Valley Line train in Westfield, which would stop at Garwood, Cranford, Roselle Park and terminate at Newark Penn Station. There he would transfer to PATH or the Northeast Corridor trains into NYC.

In earlier years, he would have boarded a Central Railroad of NJ train in Westfield, which would stop at Garwood, Cranford, Roselle, Elmora, Elizabeth and Elizabethport, then cross Newark Bay and make three or four more stops in Bayonne before arriving at the ferry terminal in Jersey City, where he would ride the ferry across to NYC.

I think the new light rail uses the old CRRNJ right-of-way in Bayonne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey