Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:07 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I agree but ultimately I blame NJ residents and the US public. Most of the US with the exception of big cities is car centric and looks at all the mass transit capital projects with deep suspicion. Yet all the useless highway expansion is automatically supported.
Sadly, I think this is a lot of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:01 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I agree but ultimately I blame NJ residents and the US public. Most of the US with the exception of big cities is car centric and looks at all the mass transit capital projects with deep suspicion. Yet all the useless highway expansion is automatically supported.
It is a bigger, unsolvable problem in NJ that does not have much to do with NJ residents. Because of local rule, every town in NJ has its own zoning rules and requirements. The result is most towns have housing and commercial. This means many people have no choice but to drive from one town where they live to another town where they work. There is no way to accommodate these trips with mass transit. Even when there might be a chance of using a train line when your home and work locations are on the same line, the odds that your work location will be near the train station are slim (other than at the end). At this point there is no way to change this in NJ.

Mass transit still needs better financial support. It helps all commuters to have better mass transit.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I wish the politicians, news media, and public at large were as capable of seeing the big picture (few bucks for gas tax vs lots of bucks for car repair/maintenance) as you guys. I agree, the gas tax should be increased to pay for this stuff.
Step 1: Cry we don't have money for roads
Step 2: Increase gas tax
Step 3: Divert gas tax money somewhere else (NJ Transit, Chris Christie Benevolent Fund, Abbot District Schooling, pension funds, whatever)
Step 4: Go to step 1.

That's one reason there's precious little support for increasing the gas tax. The other big reason being the huge burden of all the other taxes in this state.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:15 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Step 1: Cry we don't have money for roads
Step 2: Increase gas tax
Step 3: Divert gas tax money somewhere else (NJ Transit, Chris Christie Benevolent Fund, Abbot District Schooling, pension funds, whatever)
Step 4: Go to step 1.

That's one reason there's precious little support for increasing the gas tax. The other big reason being the huge burden of all the other taxes in this state.
Diverting gas tax money to NJ Transit is more than acceptable. NJ Transit has a similar recovery rate to public highways.

In fact, the only highways that recover their own operational costs are the toll roads (which residents ***** about).

It really doesn't matter which mode of transportation that money goes to, provided the infrastructure needs of the state are funded in the most efficient way to increase economic productivity.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
When are we gonna get that damn tunnel built?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
When are we gonna get that damn tunnel built?
According to what one has read (see posted links) 2030 is the target date. Given the nature of large infrastructure projects in the USA I'd say closer to 2035 or even 2040 more like. Hey, everyone has to get their taste, am I right?

Old 11-19-2015, 10:45 AM

377 posts, read 474,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
According to what one has read (see posted links) 2030 is the target date. Given the nature of large infrastructure projects in the USA I'd say closer to 2035 or even 2040 more like. Hey, everyone has to get their taste, am I right?
We're all ****ed if it takes that long.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:48 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
We're all ****ed if it takes that long.
1. It is a federal/local government funded major infrastructure project this means everyone has to have their taste.

2. It is a federal/local government funded major infrastructure project which means the longer it drags on the more everyone can have and continue getting their tastes.

3. It is a federally funded major infrastructure project which means subject to numerous "anti-discrimination" (gays, minorities, women, etc...), environmental, contract bidding, and other laws/rules that will drag things out.

And so it goes.... For reference point look across the Hudson River to the other major railroad infrastructure project in NYC; the East Side Access LIRR to Grand Central project.

To put things in perspective PRR built their Hudson River tunnels in about ten years from start to finish. WGBH American Experience . The Rise and Fall of Penn Station . The Construction of Penn Station | PBS

Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
i'm blaming chris christie

Old 11-19-2015, 06:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Diverting gas tax money to NJ Transit is more than acceptable. NJ Transit has a similar recovery rate to public highways.
No it doesn't. About half the operating budget is covered by fares. That leaves the entire capital budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey