U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 AM

76 posts, read 304,310 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend good movers (or tell me who to avoid) for our move from Monmouth County to Bergen County? We will also possibly need a storage facility for a week or two while our new house is being finished.

We will pack and unpack boxes ourselves.

So far I have gotten one estimate from Advantage moving...has anyone ever heard of them?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as who is reliable and who should be avoided? Should I stick with agents of the major moving lines (United, Mayflower, Allied, Atlas)?

Also, is it better to go with someone who promises a binding flat price, or someone who charges hourly?

I wont go with anyone who wants to rely on an online estimate; they have to be willing to physically come out to my home.

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 AM

5,704 posts, read 15,344,617 times
There is a company called Lowy's in Neptune that I've used commercially for business moving.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,309,367 times
It's likely you'll pay for weight. You might check with BBB for any unresolved issues. Also, get everything in writing and READ and understand the contract. Good luck with the move.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 PM

342 posts, read 684,206 times
Duffy in Ridgefield park has moved us twice. Gives a flat rate and is very dependable

Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,633,271 times
"Monmouth County to Bergen County"

Wise decision......................

Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM

205 posts, read 659,921 times
We are using Atlas for our move. We are moving from Atlanta to Bergen County, so longer distance obviously, but one thing I liked about them is that when they came out to estimate the weight of our move, they said that move cost could possibly be less than what we were quoted, but that if they misestimated the weight it would not be more.

Good luck with your move. Where in BC are you moving? We are heading to Ho Ho Kus.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
"Monmouth County to Bergen County"

Wise decision......................

Yes indeed! Things I will miss: certain parks, relatively close proximity to beaches, wide array of grocery stores, and friends of course.

Things I will not miss: commute to Manhattan, bad attitudes from NYC transplants, and most of all my horrible, horrible, corrupt and mismanaged township!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycharm View Post
We are using Atlas for our move. We are moving from Atlanta to Bergen County, so longer distance obviously, but one thing I liked about them is that when they came out to estimate the weight of our move, they said that move cost could possibly be less than what we were quoted, but that if they misestimated the weight it would not be more.

Good luck with your move. Where in BC are you moving? We are heading to Ho Ho Kus.

Thank you, Lilycharm. I plan to get a quote from Atlas as well.

Ho-Ho-Kus is a lovely town. We are moving to Demarest...very quiet, good schools, close proximity to Manhattan. Best of luck with your move as well!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:37 PM

75,426 posts, read 70,543,003 times
I used East-West Movers out of Hackensack last year to move my stuff from a house in Bergen County to a storage facility and then again this year to move the stuff down here to Monmouth County. They were fine. Nothing got broken and it didn't go over the estimate. I listed what I had and got the estimate by phone; however, my move wasn't a large one (I moved some stuff to a temporary resident last year and the rest of the stuff that was in storage this year.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 16,385 times
yes avoid at all costs a company called Moving and Relocation, the biggest scam around. They quoted me a rate and it turned out to be three times the price. They charged me $180 for tape, just as an example. They also lied about so many things and when the movers came it was a totally different story. Huge scam. Can't believe they are allowed to be in business. Go with a flat fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>