U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:15 AM

279 posts, read 1,029,214 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace/ update an old electrical panel? My parents have the old Federal Pacific circuit breaker box that needs to be replaced and they had a quote of $4,000! from Gold Medal!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:26 AM

309 posts, read 1,179,186 times
Greetings,

Go to Lowes & Home Depot and price the materials that are needed. You can also go to an electrical supply house for price check. Any person from the public can purchase this. The electrican does hike 10 -30 % on the bill for going and getting the materials.
What was he charging pr hr., how long was the job going to take to get done. Get more estimates. Make sure there reputation is in tack. Check with the better business bureau is once source for refernces. Ask who you choose for references.
When you get other estimates, compare the written bids, and the lowest bid is the one I would check out for his workmanship.
Be Blessed

Old 07-10-2010, 05:55 AM

64 posts, read 149,934 times
I had my service upgraded into my house and I believe I paid $1200-$1300 last year. Our electrician was here doing other work on my house but I believe the upgraded service was about that price. I used Suzi K Electric. They can be reached at 973-627-5813. I have been very satisfied with all the work he has done in my old house (dates back to 1850). He assisted me with getting my permits and all inspections were passed without issue. Not sure if he goes to your area but I would atleast call him.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 AM

5,440 posts, read 16,171,373 times
4000 is high, more like 2-3k.....

i would not get the materials yourself. electrician does not want to use the parts you buy, he or she wants to use the parts he is most familiar with.

most will run a new line from the pole to a new box. this obviously requires involving PSE&G

if i were you at this point i would throw in an outside transfer switch or at least an outside shut off switch for future installation of a generator.. this also makes DIY work safer I think, since you dont have any hot legs at the panel when the outside switch is OFF.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,385,745 times
I paid around $1000 several years ago. Most electricians will not use parts you purchase as they cannot guarantee them,

Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM

302 posts, read 2,153,364 times
Are you just changing out the Federal Pacific panel box or are you upgrading the size of the service, say from 100 to 200 amps? There's a huge difference, and the question can't be answered properly without that information.

Don't take lionandlambs's advice, can't even spell for goodness sake.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 PM

5,440 posts, read 16,171,373 times
i don't think there is a big difference.

electricians may not want to use the old wire (if it is old enough) and if you are running a new wire from the pole, 100 or 200 amps does not make much difference.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Are you just changing out the Federal Pacific panel box or are you upgrading the size of the service, say from 100 to 200 amps? There's a huge difference, and the question can't be answered properly without that information.

Don't take lionandlambs's advice, can't even spell for goodness sake.
They need to change out the old Fed Pacific box and I think its 200 amp. Their original box is ~39 years old. I also think that estimate includes checking out electrical wiring/ outlets throughout the house and digging up something outside...not sure, as I have no clue about electrical stuff. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:17 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,277,416 times
I am a retired Electrical contractor but if contractors are getting $4,000 for a service change I might need to un retire.

Seriously get three estimates from experienced contractors and the guy in the middle will probably do the best job.

Here is a tip, the lower number of the license indicates years in business. my number was in the 5,000 area and I had 40 years experience. license numbers over 14,000 have little experience. Doesn't mean they are not qualified just they lack years of experience.

Good luck

Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I am a retired Electrical contractor but if contractors are getting $4,000 for a service change I might need to un retire.

Seriously get three estimates from experienced contractors and the guy in the middle will probably do the best job.

Here is a tip, the lower number of the license indicates years in business. my number was in the 5,000 area and I had 40 years experience. license numbers over 14,000 have little experience. Doesn't mean they are not qualified just they lack years of experience.

Good luck
Thanks PDD! That is a good tip. I might have to file with the better business bureau against the guys that my parents hired. Unfortunately I think my parents went ahead and had work done before talking to me. Arghhhhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey