Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM

60 posts, read 83,132 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a paralegal hoping to move closer to my parents. Originally was looking at Northern Virginia but would like to go home once a week to see my elderly parents and Princeton is closer.

Here's what appeals to me about Princeton: close to two major cities - Philly and NY
Dog Park
Nice downtown with restaurants
Highly educated populace
Whole Foods

What worries me:
Is it welcoming to people not affiliated with the University?
Are there many single people over 30?
(Not a deal breaker but where I live everyone is married, with kids and I'm not)

I don't care one way or the other about
Bars
Shopping
Gonig down the shore
Clubbing

Hoping to find maybe a hiking club or some meetups that do get togethers.
And hoping to find a paralegal job either in or near to Princeton, but willing to travel
further if necessary. I looked at Trenton for living but it rated so badly on the crime index
that I'm thinking twice about that.

Any advice about whether this would be a good fit, or should I look into some other nearby areas?
Don't want to be more than 1 hr or so from Philly. I'm pretty boring, don't need much "excitement". I might look into doing some dog agility or dog therapy type stuff so if theres a dog and pony area that would be nice to know about (other than the Devon horseshow in Phila Main Line area). Thanks again!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
I think Princeton is about as good a fit for your criteria that you'll find. Plenty of people/activities not related to the university.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 AM

882 posts, read 1,671,190 times
If you want to be closer to Philly you could try the Haddon avenue corridor in Camden County. Collingswood has some nice nearby parks and the community is somewhat young and vibrant...i think you could find dog parks and related activities there. Nearby Haddonfield looks very similar to Princeton, minus the university. It also is home to many law offices so there should be ample paralegal opportunities. Both areas are cheaper than Princeton too.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I think Princeton is about as good a fit for your criteria that you'll find. Plenty of people/activities not related to the university.
Agree. Keep in mind that there are lots of towns near Princeton that may also fit your criteria, i.e. West Windsor, Lawrence, Plainsboro & others.

Lots of inexpensive theater in the area, a great, free museum on the Princeton campus. There are hiking & bicycling groups. Lots of parks & outdoor things to do in Mercer County: Mercer County Park Commission

It's a very nice area to live.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 PM

60 posts, read 83,132 times
Thank you everybody this helps. Good advice, I'm gonna look into the cities mentioned. Thanks again. Any thoughts on Princeton Junction btw? Found some cute affordable places there, but a friend told me "there's nothing there but a train station" Not sure if this should deter me though?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELpara View Post
Thank you everybody this helps. Good advice, I'm gonna look into the cities mentioned. Thanks again. Any thoughts on Princeton Junction btw? Found some cute affordable places there, but a friend told me "there's nothing there but a train station" Not sure if this should deter me though?
Princeton Junction, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Princeton Junction is a census-designated place and unincorporated community located within West Windsor Township, in Mercer County, New Jersey"

Princeton Junction is only a few minutes away from downtown Princeton. There's a NJ Transit train called "The Dinky" that runs from the PJ station to Princeton. The Dinky only makes 2 stops, PJ & Princeton.

Since they moved The Dinky station there is now also a bus called Tiger Paww (yes, 2 "w's) that runs between PJ station & Princeton.

If you're attending a show at McCarter Theater in Princeton than McCarter runs a bus from PJ to their theater.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELpara View Post
Princeton Jct (West Windsor) is home to the train station but much more, Mercer County Park, dog parks, shopping (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Wegmans etc). Truth is most of the area (West Windsor, Plainsboro, Princeton, Cranbury etc) is desirable for the schools and a long commute to NYC by most.

But there is also a lot to do. You mentioned dog agility, look into Golden Grange, maybe Webers.
There are also hiking clubs.
Princeton Online's Hiking Biking

The University might attract a lot of activity but we all get to enjoy it.

There are lots of Attorneys in the area too. Come to think of it, check out Flemington, NJ. Nice little town and I seem to recall quite a few Attorney offices in that downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey