Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz555 View Post
Taken from "The 5000 Year Leap" by Skoussen and the words of our Founders on the topic. Quoting the book: "In the 18th cent., American leaders took a united and fixed position against entangling alliances with any foreign powers unless an attack against the US made such an alliances temporarily necessary. This was the Founders 'Doctrine of Separatism'. This was far different from the modern term "isolationism." The latter term implies a complete seclusion from other nations, as though the US were to be detached & somehow incubated in isolation from other nations. In point of fact, the policy of the Founders was just the opposite. They desired to cultivate a wholesome relationships with ALL nations, but wished to remain aloof from sectional quarrels & international disputes" another quote "They wanted American markets open to all countries unless certain countries engaged in hostilities towards the US." Much like the practices of Switzerland today.
Are you sure you're not thinking of globalism which is a kind of internationalist authoritarianism ? The founding fathers almost certainly would have been against this (and would not for example have recognized "laws" written by organizations such as the UN)

What is being discussed here is economic globalization which is primarily about removing government created barriers to the flow of capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:43 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
What really is being discussed here are excuses for sending jobs overseas so that American Millionaires can become Billionaires, American greed that's what it's all about. But didn't Michael Douglas say Greed is good?

Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 PM

268 posts, read 761,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I agree with this!! I will just dumb it down abit so 5 th grades can get it like me. I once asked my father recently do you still think NAFTA is good? Dad is a genius! He still says yes.

Free trade is always good. Notice the word FREE!! We the USA, get the same benefits. We the USA, also get rid of tariffs on us too!! THere was once very high tariffs put on the USA so now there are none. We the USA ,also can expand and sell overseas. Dad is one smart dude, like ELFORD!!
Free trade is good so long as it is fair trade. The massive trade deficit we are running with countries like China is a result of unfair trade practices. China is making is very difficult for foreign companies to complete in its markets, not to mention it still has its currency practically pegged to ours.

I can almost guarantee the age of cheap Chinese goods will soon come to an end. When jobs don't come back to the US, there is going to be immense pressure on the politicians to do something that makes the playing field a bit more level. Ultimately this will likely result in some form of tariffs on Chinese goods and services.

Unfortunately, I doubt this will actually bring the jobs back to the US because greedy multi-national companies will just look for another low cost labor country in which to create their products.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
10% + unemployment in NJ, I wonder why?
Could it be the closed Auto manufacturing plants and all the support industries they supported, tool and die shops, machine shops, all the mom and pop store close to the factories"
Could it be all the closed clothing manufacturers that
used to be located in New Brunswick, South River, etc.etc.
Where did Singer sewing machines move to?
Anybody remember when Mack trucks actually built their trucks in Plainfield? Employed lots of skilled and unskilled labor. Those laid off unskilled became the new welfare recipients.

As long as we keep sending our manufacturing overseas we will continue to have double digit unemployment

Somebody told me it is a "global economy get used to it".
How's that working out for us? Is it our responsibility to employ those folks in Asia?
I suggest we put all able bodied Americans to work here and increase the number of tax payers and decrease the number of tax(welfare) recipients.
If you are physically able to work and not of retirement age you must work (we'll employ folks to watch your kids) but you must work.
So what kind of jobs are we gonna supply these people? The same jobs we gave away in the name of "global economy"

OK I'm done for today.
I know the answer! I know the answer!!!

It's the illegals. The illegals have all those jobs. They TOOK OUR JOBS!!! And the reason they are doing it is because Obama is a Marxist. Oh and also because of Corslime and the unions.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 07-17-2010 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
TX seems to be attracting jobs. Maybe we can find out how and emulate them in that regard.

GA is getting a Kia plant

TN is getting a Volkswagen plant.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:18 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
[quote]
GA is getting a Kia plant
[quote]

NJ plants close because they were outmoded and it was cheaper to move than to modernize. They also all caused massive toxic waste dumps still affecting those areas. US automakers were also slow to change to what the public wanted so manufacturing stopped. NJ wasn't hit half as hard as the middle states. NJ wasn't all that sorry to see them go at that time. Now they would love to have them back but it's too late.

Quote:
TN is getting a Volkswagen plant
Vast amounts of open area are the problem.
Where in NJ could they build a plant today. Drive past those plants and they are thousands of acres. That open area must also be near transportation sites. Those sites in NJ have long since been developed.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

As long as we keep sending our manufacturing overseas we will continue to have double digit unemployment
Back in the 50's almost everything consumed within the U.S. was produced in the U.S.

Almost everything we consume now is produced and or serviced elsewhere.

Consumers buy whatever is cheaper regardless of where it was made.
Guess we could tax the hell-o out of imports but then again, who is going to buy our bonds and keep us afloat? What comes around, goes around and all that...

Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I know the answer! I know the answer!!!

It's the illegals. The illegals have all those jobs. They TOOK OUR JOBS!!! And the reason they are doing it is because Obama is a Marxist. Oh and also because of Corslime and the unions.
Immigrants have been taking jobs since forever. Heck, they built the country. Immigrants have a tendency to do a better job for less money than those who came before them. Some are legal. Some are not.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuber View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt this will actually bring the jobs back to the US because greedy multi-national companies will just look for another low cost labor country in which to create their products.
We consumers have made those greedy multi-national companies what they are today because we have not been willing to pay a premium for goods and services produced in the U.S.

Why pay someone here a decent wage, employment taxes and benefits when the same thing or better can be produced/serviced elsewhere, in a sweatshop, for a fraction of the price?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Nobody really cares about jobs being outsourced as long as they can buy products produced cheaply in some other country.

That is until their job is outsourced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey