Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 19,073 times

Advertisements

I am a 32-year-old African-American who is planning to move from Dallas (Frisco/Allen) to Northern New Jersey because of a new job near Roseland, NJ. I have researched a couple areas near Roseland, but have become confused to what area would be ideal for me. I am looking for an urban setting with the following amenities:

Nightlife, shopping mall or big box stores, movie theaters, near public transportation with direct service to NYC, and trendy. In addition, I am comfortable living in the suburbs--as long as I am within a 20 mile radius of the above-mentioned amenities. A

The cities I have researched are Bayonne, Morristown, Madison, Parsippany-Troy, and Wayne. Unfortunately, I cannot make my mind up because I do not know the area.

My current apartment management company has apartments in Morristown, Riverdale, and Bayonne. Thus, these three cities would be ideal because the cost of moving would be much cheaper.

Can you please offer me your expertise and/or suggestions about the cities listed above? Also the commuting time….

Last edited by davisjones; 07-12-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 PM

109 posts, read 477,711 times
Ironically I'm from Wayne NJ originally. 5 years ago I almost moved to The Frisco, Mc Kinney area. So I know exactly where your coming from. The cities you've search are drastically different.

Bayonne, definitly urban ( I don't know much about it)closet to NY
Morristown little bit of both urban and suburban, nice, kinda of expensive, if you can get an apartment there, out of the 3 choices I would choose Morristown. Riverdale sleepy little town not far from wayne. Shopping close by though.
Wayne, Madison upscale suburban towns lots of shopping. Transport easy to NYC about 25-35 minutes.
check out bing maps to see aerial views of the places ur interested in.
Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Assuming you are a single guy, I would reccommend either Morristown or Bayonne. Madison and wayne are suburbs with not a lot going on. Familys for the most part.

Morristown has shopping/movies/etc all fairly close, and it has a pretty good selection of bars/restaurants. Nice area to go out to. About 20 minute commute to Roseland.

Bayonne is urban and right in the jersey city/hoboken/NYC area. There are things to do in bayonne itself, and you right next to loads of bars/restaurants/nightlife in Jersey City/Hoboken. NYC is easily accessible as well. Downside is you are looking at least twice the commute to work.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
How was Montclair not mentioned!
What's your budget. Places like Mooristown, Madison, Montclair and Parsipanny aren't cheap.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 19,073 times
My budget is up to 1900 for a one bedroom. My apartment complex owns and manage the Alexans and most of their apartments are in Bayonne, Riverdale, and Morristown. I prefer to stay with them because all I have to do is transfer.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:32 PM

303 posts, read 752,571 times
JC is your best bet. aparments go for round 1300(average). GREAT public transportation. Bars and restaurants are constantly being added. Waaaaaaaaay more diversity in the population(spanish, indian, phillipines, middle eastern, etc). but that is if your looking for a city. morristown, riverdale are suburbs obviously and the downtown section isnt the only part. The heights is being rejuvenated with many houses and apartments being constructed. theres a new building on summit ave right on the border of Jersey City and Union city, across from the plaza.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,037 times
You are looking at places kind of far from NYC if that is something that appeals to you. Wayne is not 25 minutes from NYC, more realistically 40-60 minutes depending on what part of the city. Keep in mind you have to either take public transit, or one of three Hudson River crossings which all add time and tolls. So it looks closer on Google Maps than it really is. For uptown, the GW Bridge is about 30 minutes from Wayne but then you are at the extreme north end of Manhattan. Midtown (the Garden, theaters, Times Sq) is about 45 minutes to the Lincoln Tunnel. Downtown (Wall St, the Village, Union Sq) is going to be almost an hour trip to the Holland.

Based on your description of what you desire, I would recommend you look at the newer parts of Fort Lee, Edgewater and Jersey City along the river, for places that include parking (beware of Hoboken, the parking sucks there). You will have very easy access to NYC and trendy neighborhoods (apartments and condos) but also with a car you are easily in reach of big box shopping (two Wal Marts within 20 minutes drive, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot) and some of them are in UEZ, so half the usual NJ sales tax!

If that doesn't appeal to you, then there are also nice areas in eastern Bergen County you should think about. Teaneck, Hackensack, Fort Lee away from the river, Cliffside Park and Palisades Park, parts of Ridgefield. Less trendy but all the rest of the benefits of the river-side areas. Your budget would do really well here.

If you really don't mind being so far from NYC then the area you are looking at is definitely good - Morristown being the only trendy of your list, though, as far as I know. But in my opinion overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey