Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM

6 posts, read 34,820 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking to move up to Edison/Metuchen area in May when I graduate from college. I am actually from out of state but want to stay in New Jersey but not in the area where I am now as it is by Trenton. Since I'm not originally from New Jersey, I am not too familiar with many sections. I have two criteria for moving- want to be closer to the shore (15-20 minutes) and I want to go further north so I am closer to my parents. Most of the shoreline I am familiar with by areas like Belmar, Ocean Grove, Point Pleasant and I know it is extremely expensive. I figured that around Edison is a good place to look because it seems to be close to the shoreline but is also further north. But I really don't know too much about the area and whether or not it is in my price range. I am looking to spend between 900-1100 for a 1 bdrm. I know Metuchen is a great small town but I don't know if it is better as family town and if it would be appropriate for a college age person. Also, I need somewhere really safe.. any opinions? Are there other towns that I might consider given my criteria? And also, I don't know too much about the beaches up in that area but what are the closest public beaches to that area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Edison and Metuchen are decent choices within your budget, but they're not 15-20 minutes from the shore- unless you consider the little strip of sand on the Arthur Kill in Sewaren to be "the shore".

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Metuchen is a pretty good choice as is Edison. You might be more like 30 minutes from Sandy Hook but by "shore" all Jerseyans refer to "the shore as from Seaside Heights on down to Wildwood. Now your talking an hour or more drive.

I been gone for a while but getting closer to water I remember Keyport as being less expensive as well as Union Beach and Keansburg. Atlantic Highlands is less expensive and safe too but much of this area is less then postage stamp lots with no driveways. Nice quaint town though. Are these areas getting too far south?

Bobs joke about Sewaren is true but there is no sand. The Sewaren waterfront has been fixed up in recent times including a beautiful new park. You do have the boat launch facilities there and by doing an average of 38 MPH by boat you can be in Raritian Bay in just 20 minutes and on the way up the Navisink or Shrewsbury Rivers in 30 minutes.

Does this help?
Good luck..........

Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
Check out Glenwood Apartments in Old Bridge. The rent is within your budget. It's a nice, safe complex and about 30 minutes from Pt. Pleasant. It's close to Sandy Hook and Keansburg as well, but when you are looking to go to the shore, so is everybody else, so you may have a little traffic to contend with. I would rather drive from this area to the shore though as opposed to coming from Edison. JMO.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM

What is the northern most part of what is considered to be "the shore"? I am basically just looking to be by the ocean where I can go and lay by the beach in the summer- I don't need anything fancy. I basically would like to be as far north as possible while still being by a nice beach. I've never been north of Bradley Beach though so I don't really know what the beaches are like up in the areas you are describing. Are Sandy Hook and Atlantic Highlands like belmar/seaside (apart from boardwalks and such) in terms of public beaches?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Sandy Hook has beaches that you can lay out on, but to my knowledge Atlantic Highlands does not (I may be thinking of Highlands). You could be to Sandy Hook from Edison/Metuchen in 30 minutes in most cases- more on the weekends in the heat of the summer season.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Based on what you ask, yes as Bob said. Sandy Hook has beautiful beaches. You have the quiet Bay on one side where you have sailboarding and clamming as well as fishing. On the Ocean side you have.....well the ocean with full views of the NYC skyline. The beaches are veryclean and all facilities including a restaurant (Seagulls Nest) right there on the hook. Look west and your looking at the historical Twin Lights Lighthouses. One is open for climbing and touring as well as a wonderful museum.

The Atlantic Highlands does have 2 private beaches, both are under the highwaybridges. They are small but kinda clean and are only open to residents. I like the Highlands but would not want to live there. There are no driveways. All street parking. But that does add to some of the charm. Think Lake Hopatcong Hills housing even smaller. Lots of bulkhead fishing from many many public areas all through the Highlands including several nice public boat launches. There are many party boat docks as well as marinas right there. And all the seafood restaurants are great. Especially Bahrs.

Go ahead. Research Atlantic Highlands.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
If u want to be within 20 minutes of the real shore look into middletown or south of there, otherwise u have the boring beaches like keyport or oldbridge where shoes wash up and u see staten island in the distance

Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks for all the input.. this was definately very helpful!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default how is this?

Fords section of Woodbridge twnsp between Edison and Perth Amboy.
1/4 mile from the parkway, turnpike, 287, rt 1, 9, 35. Walk to town with bank, restaurants, post office churches, bus routes, 10 minutes from Metuchen train station, 18 min from Newark airport, 6 minutes from South Amboy ferry to Manhattan. Greenway and town redevelopment in progress along New brunswick ave in Fords. fish for blues and strippers within 5 minute ride. About 5 miles from Middlesex co college, 13 minutes from Rutgers in New Brunswick, spitting distance from Kean college. 15 minutes from Morgan and Union beaches. 1/2 hour from Sandy Hook. Plenty of beaches between Keyport and the Highlands. 20 minutes from the Garden state art center down the parkway....has some goofy corporate name now. Greenway rails to trails parallels New Brunswick ave and is scheduled to be developed further.

Parks, Woodbridge mall, Menlo Mall, middlesex mall off 287 within 10 minutes.

That section of town is old and settled. Best generic location in Nj !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey