Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 75,097 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are looking for a house (preferably in the $400-450 range) in Middlesex County. I grew up in Ocean County and now live in NY. We have a daughter who is starting Kindergarten. Any advice on the following areas and if you have a preference? --Metuchen, Colonia, Middlesex Boro and Edison? I know N. Edison has great schools, but most/many of the nicer homes are pretty pricey. We both work in Manhattan, so the easier the commute, the better! I know most of those towns are close to the NE Corrider train line.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I wouldn't mix Middlesex Boro in with the others- it's a lower cost/lower quality area compared to the others. In the $400-450k range, though, you're either going to get a tiny, rough fixer-upper in Colonia or Metuchen, or you're going to end up on the south side of Edison, which is typically the less desirable side. You could look at Woodbridge proper, where you might get more for your money and still be in a decent area.

Bob

Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRNJNY View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are looking for a house (preferably in the $400-450 range) in Middlesex County. I grew up in Ocean County and now live in NY. We have a daughter who is starting Kindergarten. Any advice on the following areas and if you have a preference? --Metuchen, Colonia, Middlesex Boro and Edison? I know N. Edison has great schools, but most/many of the nicer homes are pretty pricey. We both work in Manhattan, so the easier the commute, the better! I know most of those towns are close to the NE Corrider train line.

Thanks!!!
all those areas are ok, some are better than others, you need to remember, you get what you pay for, the nicer homes, the better schools are usually found in the pricier areas. A home is not the place to pinch pennies, spend as much as you can afford to and you will reap the benefits while living there and when the day comes when you want out, it will sell for the same premium you paid going in

Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRNJNY View Post
Hi,

Thanks!!!
I know a very nice townhouse community very close to Edison Train Station, about 45 min to midtown NYC, Penn Stn). Across street is a private K-12 school that is to say your family would have much easier life. Townhouse may be good for two income families with small kid to start with.

Within walking distance is Fairway Golf Course (with best mini golf in NJ) and Stelton Land Bowling that you will find much fun.

I so recommed is because many came to me telling me that they were recommed to this community by various forums when Colonia, Metuchen and Edison is out of their reach.

Last edited by Global Friend; 06-22-2007 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I wouldn't mix Middlesex Boro in with the others- it's a lower cost/lower quality area compared to the others. In the $400-450k range, though, you're either going to get a tiny, rough fixer-upper in Colonia or Metuchen, or you're going to end up on the south side of Edison, which is typically the less desirable side. You could look at Woodbridge proper, where you might get more for your money and still be in a decent area.

Bob
I would say, Middlesex Boro is changing a lot for past years, many IT professionals working at Wall St moving to the area due to the convenience to Dunellen Train Station.

And this is a very safe town, you can tell by the brand new huge Police Department is under construction.

Across railroad bridge has a brand new townhouse community that also got many IT professionals working at Wall St flooded in recently ... It has a huge and complete Community Yahoo Group only owners can join, and each year they have huge Community New Year Party at Embassy Suites Piscataway.

I passed by there the other day, and the whole construction almost complete and new road, tennis court, swimming pools ...etc all in place.

Nearby are Possumpton Park and Irishtown Park with nice new playground your daughter will sure to like, and basketball court, tennis court, baseball field that has local league, and a nice Hockey Ring ...

Woodbridge is a good town too, I went to the Wagman supermarket there and like it, and you have Woodbridge Mall and Menlo Park Mall I went often too. But Piscataway also close to Menlo Park Mall, and closer to Bridgewater Commons Mall.

I also like this YMCA at Woodbridge; we went since the first day. Piscataway is building a brand new YMCA right next to JFK Library too.

Last edited by Global Friend; 06-22-2007 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 75,097 times
Thanks - all of this information is so helpful! I will definitely begin looking into your suggestions!!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 AM

132 posts, read 520,526 times
If I was a skeptic I might question sbots motives, but I am not a skeptic thank goodness.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyflops View Post
If I was a skeptic I might question sbots motives, but I am not a skeptic thank goodness.
What do you mean? What sbots? I do not see anything here ????

Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 22,737 times
Bellyflops - I was merely mentioned other communities in the North Edison area...no motives here...

Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 AM

6 posts, read 24,262 times
The Side of metuchen near central avenue is going to be the ideal place to live in town. you will be able to be near metuchen's new extention of down town. in about five years the entire strip of central avenue will be redeveloped like west field an all brand new down town. The food town developement should be started this summer. the old dodge dealer is in the works to be developed. So is the land near joey d's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey