Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 AM

36 posts, read 176,502 times

Advertisements

My husband just got word yesterday that he is being transferred to Bridgewater, NJ. I am soooo overwhelmed by the wealth of information, my head is spinning. What I'm attempting to do is to narrow down my search a bit. Here is some more info about our family/needs:

-My husband is willing to commute up to 45 minutes to Bridgewater if we can save some money on housing further out.
-We are looking to rent a house for now (not sure how long we'll be in the area)
-We would like a nice town, good schools (our oldest daughter will be entering Kindergarten next year), good community feel
-We don't mind smaller towns (love them actually), however, access to a shopping area within 20 minutes would be nice (few grocery stores/target, etc. I'm not talking NYC shopping)
-I love the "mayberry" type feel, old town, main street with shops, etc. but this is not a must.

We are going to be visiting soon to look at a few towns and find a house to rent, so I really need to narrow down my scope a little bit to make this search managable. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
Out of curiosity, did you check within Bridgewater? Bridgewater has a townhouse and condominium complex (which can get some night noises). Not sure about their prices and education though as I don't live there. (My Mom lives there so that's why I know a bit about the place.)

A lot of stores are in Bridgewater, which includes the Bridgewater Commons mall. So, shopping should not be too much of an issue. I mean, Bridgewater isn't a city but it's still a good size town. You'll still have to deal with traffic in the area and there is this crazy circle that you'll have to deal with.

There are a lot of nice small towns next to Bridgewater. A lot of farm land too. So, I think it's a good area to raise a family. Just beware of the bugs and be alert for deers in the area.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
A lot will depend on your budget- you'll definitely get more for your money as you move further from Bridgewater (west, that is), but if you can get what you want in or near Bridgewater, why deal with the commute? What sort of price range are you looking at, and what are you looking for in the way of house size, amenities, etc.?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM

162 posts, read 329,444 times
Can I make a suggestion? Look into Bethlehem Township, PA.

My husband was working in Branchburg when we moved out here and it was the BEST decision. Houses are dirt cheap right now (I am selling mine for $285,000 with 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, finished basement, eat in kitchen, but a tiny property), the taxes aren't bad at all and we've been happy with the schools! Can't complain at all!

While the township doesn't have its own "downtown", the city of Bethlehem is a stone throw away and we visit there often. Especially around Christmas. There is also a community center here which we LOVE! Our kids take classes there, there's an outdoor pool, indoor pool, and a gym! I love it!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
OMG do NOT move to PA and commute to Bridgewater.

OP what is your budget for rental?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post

I agree.

OP - draw a semi circle from Bridgewater extending south, north and west that extends about 25 miles - that will narrow down towns you can look in that will give you a 45 min commute or less on average. the southern end is somewhere around montgomery, western edge is slightly east of Stewartsville, northern is around Mt. Olive. Before we get into specifics, you need to give your budget.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM

36 posts, read 176,502 times
$2500/month rent would be as high as we're willing to go right now. I realize that it narrows down the field drastically, however, I refuse to pay more than that for RENT on a house. We are building up our savings so that we can buy within the next few years, so I really don't want to pay more than that per month. Ideally, we would like a 3 bedroom, since we have 2 girls. Thanks

Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 PM

162 posts, read 329,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post

And can you tell me why not? It took my husband 45 mins to get to work and home!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
And can you tell me why not? It took my husband 45 mins to get to work and home!
it's ~45 miles ... unless he left home at 6am or 10am and left work at 3pm or 8pm I'd say it's a near impossibility.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
Yeah that never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey