Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 8,928 times

Advertisements

I have been at it for 3 and half years now. I have subbed, worked in a Catholic School and am now working on my MA in Special Education. But the market is still flooded with so many others. I just am not sure what to do anymore. Anybody have any other ideas for careers I can make a switch to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,928 times
Its been this way in NJ for years-since I graduated college in 1993!!Many of the school districts are impossible to get into(Toms River for example) Its all political-who you know. Unfortunately, I know noone!
I did some part time jobs etc. over the years and currently am a stay at home mom. Im looking for a teaching job but its a dead end.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,296,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divajenne View Post
I have been at it for 3 and half years now. I have subbed, worked in a Catholic School and am now working on my MA in Special Education. But the market is still flooded with so many others. I just am not sure what to do anymore. Anybody have any other ideas for careers I can make a switch to do?
You need to realize school districts, when expanding, will need to hire more teachers, and Piscataway New Jersey is one of them, which has 10 schools, and all have been expanding, building new building, classrooms, and of course, need more teachers.

My brother-in-law told me the other day, e.g. Grandview Elementary School (K-3) principal told him, every year go 50 more new kids!!!

He also mentioned a while ago a Special Ed in Piscataway has over 800 students need all kind of help, and the school district could not get enough teachers (some on leave, say having baby ...etc), and they have to get Rutgers Univ Graduate students major in Special Edu to come help ...

So, you would focus on school districts that have been getting much better and had lots of new families moving in, those schools normally will have many openings on teachers.

Jimmy of Piscataway who run Welcome to the Chinese Community Center sent his kid to Rutgers Univ major in Education, why? He said, there are lots of needs for teaching in the years to come...

I was invited to see the special ed classrooms, they are always the BEST, newest classroom, and very few students per room. Special Ed got lots of budget and many parents want to get in, so I think you should be fine, and again focus on school districts with lots of budget and expanding ...

I heard that some special student families moved to East Brunswick (property tax very heavy, but that 65% or so goes to schools) because East Brunswick has even better special eds, so add that town in your list.

One quick way to spot those towns is going to childcare chain stores to see WHERE their facilities, like Tutor Time, KinderCare, FirstClass ...etc. since their kids will go to schools when graduate, if they forecast so many needs, meaing, the town got many families with kids moving in and they will be your students later ...

Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 AM

16 posts, read 69,101 times
Default What level/subject matter are you trying to go into?

I taught high school English for 7 years before leaving last year to be a stay at home mom. To target what might be the issue, I need a little more info.

1) Are you elementary or secondary? If elementary, there's no wonder you're having a hard time--you need to know someone in all but the least desirable districts. My SIL is a kindergarten teacher (for two years now) in a district in Monmouth County and struggled to get that job even though her mom (my MIL) is a teacher in the district and numerous relatives and friends work in the district. She had a couple interviews elsewhere, but nothing panned out.

2) Have you flooded the market with resumes, or are you looking in a few choice districts? I moved here in 2001 after teaching in Alabama for two years, and I simply flooded the market with resumes and applications (mailed one to every hiring district within an hour of where I would be living). I sent 30-40, got interviews at 8-10 schools, and offers at 4 of those. Education is very political, and there were a couple interviews in which I could tell they already had selected someone and were simply trying to fill their interview quota.

3) What about GPA, Praxis score, etc...? How is the reputation of your college or university? (You don't need to answer these questions, just something to think about.) Totally, totally not to seem arrogant, just to give you info. about my situation and perspective, but I graduated magna *** laude from an excellent university in the South, the top student in my major, and almost perfect Praxis scores, and I had two years experience when I moved here. And you can see my success rate with flooding the market.

4) The Catholic school thing could actually be hurting you in some districts you're applying (depending on which one it is). IMO, this is often bogus prejudice, but a lot of public school teachers and admins look down on Catholic schools, as they often don't have the same kind of certification requirements as public schools. I taught at a Catholic school in AL before I moved here, but in AL, generally, they are better than the public schools. I definitely encountered a little attitude at two of the interviews because of the assumptions about Catholic schools (and I didn't get an offer at either place).

Anyway, I hope some of this helps. Keep trying and good luck!

Last edited by hencoskij; 06-22-2007 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 06-22-2007, 06:43 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,093 times
Is it less difficult to find a job teaching special ed? Also, what is the starting salary range? My wife graduated from Felician Collage has not started looking yet. We are waiting for our two little ones to start school before she starts looking for a job.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,296,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Is it less difficult to find a job teaching special ed? Also, what is the starting salary range? My wife graduated from Felician Collage has not started looking yet. We are waiting for our two little ones to start school before she starts looking for a job.
There is great demand on Special Ed teachers in Greater Piscataway and Edison area. I know a teacher and his wife both special ed teachers in the area. They just got the degree from Middlesex County College.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 PM

16 posts, read 69,101 times
Yes, Special Ed. certification is helpful...

Teacher salaries start in the low to mid-forties in most of the state.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
How many jobs you have applied for?

When does interviewing/hiring for 2008 happen?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,896,865 times
I feel your pain. I am a Special Ed teacher working in Elizabeth and living in Toms River. I was very lucky to get my teaching job. Even in Elizabeth where they opened 3 new schools in the last 18 months its about who you know.

I love where I work but I would much rather work closer to home. My point is that networking is crucial. You have to go where the teachers and principals are. You have to let everyone you know and meet know that you are looking for a job and hope that one of them will be able to help. I would also recommend substituting in a couple of districts. Let the principals get to know you. I have a couple of friends that got their jobs that way.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 AM

183 posts, read 1,133,468 times
Or... you can do what I did. I just graduated Summa *** Laude from Rowan University. I have 2 degrees, 1 in El. Ed. and 1 in English. I didn't fool around. I have heard how horrible finding a teaching job is here, so my hubby and I made the decision to move to FL. I was offered a job after 1 interview. If you aren't tied to the state, consider relocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey