U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 16,785 times

Advertisements

I have a job starting near Wall St, and I'm looking to rent in NJ since (I suppose) its cheaper than the city, and because there are weekly events in NJ that I want to attend (by car). I'm totally new to the area, so I really don't know much about what areas are good beyond general common knowledge, nor how public transit factors in. I realize I must take public transit into the city - so I'm looking for a short-ish commute time and easy access (hopefully without expensive parking fees).

My budget is pretty minimal - $1000/mo. I'm single so all I'm looking for is a 1BR or something along those lines. I'm also hoping to end up in a more suburban area. I'm not sure Hoboken/Jersey City/etc are for me. Do places exist that would fit my criteria, or am I searching for something that is not possible? If so, any other suggestions? I've read a lot of other posts on this forum but none have really fit my situation (that I've found).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,170,931 times
Hoboken is out of your price range anyway, unless you want to try to find a share. Jersey City really is you best bet and even then you'll be looking at a small place in The Heights or Journal Square Area. I'd try to find a decent share opportunity. There are always people looking for roommates. By the time you add up all the additional costs of commuting and time its not worth it to move to the burbs since you really don't save that much in rent. Just my opinion.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM

133 posts, read 474,476 times
You might want to also look into West New York, New Jersey which is slightly cheaper than Hoboken.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the responses!

tdstyles: I checked out Craigslist and you are right, there are a ton of people looking for people to rent their rooms.

Whats the deal with Bloomfield? It looks a little under an hour's commute for me, and I found some potentially affordable places there. I wonder if that long of a commute is gonna get tiresome fast though. But I guess a lot of people do it.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 PM

381 posts, read 1,229,215 times
Well, Union City is not for everyone but if you don't mind a crowded, urban, mainly Spanish-speaking environment, your money will go a long way there and it has really excellent bus service to Manhattan. Or you could take the light rail and switch to the PATH to WTC. It would be like living in Queens or Brooklyn. I think it's a good option for adventurous youth who work in Manhattan. Not forever, but until you can afford to move up. It's also close to JC, Weehawken, Hoboken, West NY & North Bergen - you can actually walk to all those depending on where in UC you are -- so you're not too isolated. There's at least one free indoor pool, which you won't find in most towns!

Search this forum and you'll find lots of info & opinions about it.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM

429 posts, read 881,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzat View Post
I have a job starting near Wall St, and I'm looking to rent in NJ since (I suppose) its cheaper than the city, and because there are weekly events in NJ that I want to attend (by car). I'm totally new to the area, so I really don't know much about what areas are good beyond general common knowledge, nor how public transit factors in. I realize I must take public transit into the city - so I'm looking for a short-ish commute time and easy access (hopefully without expensive parking fees).

My budget is pretty minimal - $1000/mo. I'm single so all I'm looking for is a 1BR or something along those lines. I'm also hoping to end up in a more suburban area. I'm not sure Hoboken/Jersey City/etc are for me. Do places exist that would fit my criteria, or am I searching for something that is not possible? If so, any other suggestions? I've read a lot of other posts on this forum but none have really fit my situation (that I've found).
Is your $1000 per month budget just your rent? If so, it should be easy to find someplace to rent . . . although someplace kinda suburban that's not a ridiculous commute to the city in terms of time and money is more difficult. It might not be a bad idea for that to look further down into Staten Island instead, just make sure you're close to the subway line. If $1000 isn't just for your rent, then it's going to be tougher, because there are a lot of other expenses here that you have to factor in too--including public transportation costs, which can easily be a couple hundred a month for the longer-distance commuter trains (which is what you'd need to take from nearby areas that really are suburban), possibly a garage for your car (depending on the parking situation where you're living), etc.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,170,931 times
RE: Bloomfield.

It has nice parts and not so nice parts. Going in blind is not the best way to go, the commute is not bad Decamp buses are your best bet. I would really advise the share situation. You'll get a much better place and everyone does it when they first move to the NYC area. I did the exact same thing 10 years ago. Whether your right out of college or in late 20's early 30's there are always people in the exact same situation. You end up working so much( and your roomates will too) that you barely see each other. When searching keep in mind that there are as many people looking for shares as there are advertising them so it does take some patience. You have to be very diligent about checking your e-mail since most are first come first serve and once people get a few responses they stop checking the post. If it's been on CL more than a few days I wouldn't bother. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the comments, folks. If I didn't plan on making a few trips west in NJ a week, I would find a share in Jersey City or something - but the traffic is quite a pain so close to the city (at least to my Arizonan standards, haha).

TheLuckoftheDraw: $1000/mo just for housing, sorry I wasn't clear there. Good point on the transportation costs - I calculated around $300/mo if I use the train.

tdstyles: Thank you again for the advice. Much appreciated.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 PM

71,451 posts, read 67,504,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzat View Post
Thanks for the responses!

tdstyles: I checked out Craigslist and you are right, there are a ton of people looking for people to rent their rooms.

Whats the deal with Bloomfield? It looks a little under an hour's commute for me, and I found some potentially affordable places there. I wonder if that long of a commute is gonna get tiresome fast though. But I guess a lot of people do it.
A "little under an hour's commute" is pretty short and less than most NJ commuters do every day. You use the time--I have a commute just under two hours and I read constantly, though I tend to doze off on the way home, which is fine, too.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 PM

478 posts, read 1,126,385 times
Working near wall st, I'd look at the Path train map and try to find an apt. near one of those stops. Shoots you right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey