U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 13,147 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please tell me that though the Madison NJ Public schools are higly rated but when I look at the 2009 NJ High schools score card, I see that Madison High School ranking is much below that of Summit, Chatham, Berkeley Heights, Livingson etc.We are considering buying a house in Madison, NJ and based on my internet reserach and feedback from people, I always hear good things about Madison schools. But looking at its ranking in comparison to other high schools in the area, I am unsure as to why it is not as high performing as some of the other neighbouring high schools.
Any information will be deeply appreciated.

I have 2 young kids who are in elementary right now.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,597,609 times
I'm not sure which rankings you are looking at so I went to the State Report Card and pulled Livingston HS up next to Madison HS. I compared HSPA results, SAT Scores and AP Scores and the differences were negligible. I didn't look at any of the other schools you mentioned.

I'm a parent and a teacher and I would move into any of the towns you mentioned based on the schools. My choice would be more about neighborhood and community because all of the school are excellent but the community feel could differ.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:12 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,112,445 times
What is all this stress about? Grow up and parent your kids regardless of what some "report card" says. If you want to achieve great things you can do it regardless of the school you are in. Stop acting as if the school is the end all be all.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 AM

205 posts, read 639,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
What is all this stress about? Grow up and parent your kids regardless of what some "report card" says. If you want to achieve great things you can do it regardless of the school you are in. Stop acting as if the school is the end all be all.
Not sure why asking for feedback on a the high school the OP's kids might attend warrants such a hostile response.

When moving to a new area (as I am also) sometimes the majority of information we have to go on in is based on internet research, of which the NJ School report card is one source. I think the OP's question is valid, and hopefully hrjersey made you feel comfortable that a choice to move to Madison is a good one.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,112,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycharm View Post
Not sure why asking for feedback on a the high school the OP's kids might attend warrants such a hostile response.

When moving to a new area (as I am also) sometimes the majority of information we have to go on in is based on internet research, of which the NJ School report card is one source. I think the OP's question is valid, and hopefully hrjersey made you feel comfortable that a choice to move to Madison is a good one.
Why a hostile response??? Because the poster seems to think that a certain school will make their kid.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
Quote:
Schools are important. You apparently either: 1) performed horribly in school and you're bitter about it, or 2) your kids are performing horribly in school and you're bitter about it. Either way, the poster's question is a good one. School's are INCREDIBLY important for people who actually care about educating their kids. For folks like you, well...it would be best if you stayed out of it since you're clearly missing the point.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,917,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTorNJ View Post
Schools are important. You apparently either: 1) performed horribly in school and you're bitter about it, or 2) your kids are performing horribly in school and you're bitter about it. Either way, the poster's question is a good one. School's are INCREDIBLY important for people who actually care about educating their kids. For folks like you, well...it would be best if you stayed out of it since you're clearly missing the point.
Bababua came off a little harsh, but the question is basically like asking "So I'm torn between the Bentley, the Rolls Royce, and the Maybach. I really like the Maybach, but Car and Driver said that the heated seats aren't quite up to snuff." The OP is talking about the most elite public high schools in the state and in reality there is probably little difference in the quality of education at any of them. I have no idea what criteria the school report cards use, but the fact remains that the OP's children would likely receive a fine education at any of them. I think what Bababua was getting at is the hair splitting that seems to go on in this state with regard to which school district to send your kids to. This is probably due in no small part to the fact that we simply have so many school districts to pick from.

I will say though that I share a bit of Bababua's view that the school is only so much of a determining factor. I went to a relatively unremarkable high school in New Jersey that produced everything from burnouts and drug addicts to Princeton graduates. I fell somewhere in the middle, having ok grades and going first to community college and then to a 4 year school. There were no shortage of opportunities available to me-had my parents pushed me harder and had I pushed myself harder I may well have joined a few of my classmates in the Ivy League. One is currently studying some sort of ruins in Africa, one worked as a high level aide to Senator Kerry, and a few went to Wall Street. On the other hand there are also a couple of members of my class who are now dead or in jail. I have a good job, a house, a comfortable living, and really can't complain all that much except about the normal stuff-taxes and whatnot.

My wife and I decided early on that we would like to buy a small farm eventually for a number of reasons, but one fairly significant reason is so that our kids can grow up there and have responsibilities like gathering eggs, feeding animals, cleaning out pens, stacking firewood and having an active role in their own survival. These kinds of things build character and teach children to value work and its rewards rather than "things." Of course, the kinds of rural areas conducive to this sort of lifestyle don't always have the highest rated schools, but we feel that as long as we teach our children to be kind, work hard, and take pride in their work, that good performance in school will naturally follow. The disclaimer I'll give is that my wife and I are both trained teachers (She currently works as a teacher but I do not) and will of course use those skills to help our children, but we still see things like life experience on the farm, sports, and life experience in general as being the best teachers of all.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM

294 posts, read 648,283 times
Quote:
Why a hostile response??? Because the poster seems to think that a certain school will make their kid.
So what is it to you if the OP wants to do one thing or the other? Let him/her choose where to live without so much scorn from all of you....this is getting really stupid! Get over those sour grapes and move on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey