Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 27,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
From Newark you could also drive right up the NJ 21 Freeway to where it merges near US 46, I-80, GSP, NJ 17, etc. There's even a way to beat the GSP toll that's not too bad. I've never been to Chicago but wondering, maybe suggesting you zoom around on your PC, hate to suggest anything from evil racist censor Google, but Google Earth may give you some feel of the areas you're interested in.
Taking 21 north you have to take 46 to get to the GSP. Then the toll is just north of here past I-80. How do you bypass the toll? Aren't there tolls at every exit/entrance? I don't have much experience with eastern tolls /turnpikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr View Post
Taking 21 north you have to take 46 to get to the GSP. Then the toll is just north of here past I-80. How do you bypass the toll? Aren't there tolls at every exit/entrance? I don't have much experience with eastern tolls /turnpikes.
Route 21 North to Route 3 East to Route 17 North to Saddle River area. I do that way when i'm short on cash even though the Tolls aren't that much. Keep in mind that Route 17 through Paramus is hell during the rush hours. I would buy EZ-Pass while your here , it will make using the Toll system easier. I'm sure you know what EZ-Pass is they use it on I-88 , I-90/80.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I would buy EZ-Pass while your here , it will make using the Toll system easier. I'm sure you know what EZ-Pass is they use it on I-88 , I-90/80.
Yeah, they've been making the tolls in Chicagoland electronic since at least ten years. Most lanes are only for the i-pass, as its called in Illinois, and only three or four lanes off to the side are for coins.

How much does the EZ-Pass cost? What is the toll approx. from Newark/JC area to Woodcliff? Thank you for all the information!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, they've been making the tolls in Chicagoland electronic since at least ten years. Most lanes are only for the i-pass, as its called in Illinois, and only three or four lanes off to the side are for coins.

How much does the EZ-Pass cost? What is the toll approx. from Newark/JC area to Woodcliff? Thank you for all the information!
All states in the Northeast use Ez Pass at there tolls , you get Tolled going out into PA , Entering NYC. The Garden State Parkway & NJ Turnpike & NY Thurway is tolled , but has gaps. I think its 1.75 - 2.00$ form the US 46 entrance to the Parkway to Woodcliff lake. Its only 1 toll now.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM

39 posts, read 184,581 times
Quote:
I like the sound of this idea. Are you sure going west over the GWB in the morning is not too congested?
No Problems going outbound in the morning.

Quote:
Bypass the $1 toll in Saddle Brook? It's only northbound & there is another toll in Hillsdale. Take 21 north to 46 east to 20 north to 4 east to route 17 north to GSP north.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelland View Post
No Problems going outbound in the morning.

Bypass the $1 toll in Saddle Brook? It's only northbound & there is another toll in Hillsdale. Take 21 north to 46 east to 20 north to 4 east to route 17 north to GSP north.
The Toll in my town has been removed. Its only one Toll now. There are alot of problems exiting NYC in the Morning.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Toll in my town has been removed. Its only one Toll now. There are alot of problems exiting NYC in the Morning.
You can also take 21 North to where it ends, then 20 a short distance to the I-80 East ramp, 80 to 17 North via the Essex St interchange and get back on the GSP past the toll. The GSP toll up around Paramus is $1 northbound only. There is/was/used to be another toll further up by Pascack but last time I went through there they had the EZPass part open but where removing or rebuilding the cash lanes so I don't know if those are being wiped out and converted to a one way Southbound toll.

I can also get from central NJ to NY state bypassing all the tolls if I want, it's a matter of choice.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
What I do, all the time, that works pretty well, is 21 north, past 80 and past 46, to Rt.4 East, to 17 north, to GSP north. You get some lights in the Elmwood Park portion of 4 but they're not so bad. I hate paying the buck at Saddle Brook.

I hate even more paying the buck at the Pascack Toll Plaza (South only), so I take backroads to Paramus and hop on the GSP from 17.

As for the person telling you to reverse commute to Washington Heights, consider the following:
- Wash. Hts. has always been a ghetto and today is a safer ghetto but still ghetto and with crime
- Forget having a car unless you want to pay $500+ for a parking spot in a garage somewhere. Street parking is not good - you can never leave your car someplace too long without breaking a law, you still will have problems finding a spot sometimes, and you will be guaranteed to have your car broken into.
- The reverse commute in the morning will be a breeze - you'll sail over the bridge, up the Pal Pkwy and to Woodcliff Lake. However, the reverse commute back to Manhattan will NOT be a breeze - it is common for there to be waits at the Bridge from 15 min. to one hour+ in the evening rush hour, because many people are trying to travel up 95 and need to cross the bridge to do it.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM

So I'll stick with the Jersey City/Newark idea for this thread. It sounds better anyway, for communting purposes.

Does anyone know of a good apartment finding website for this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey