Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 14,915 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have been searching through the forums and have found the threads very helpful and informative. I need to choose a couple towns in North Jersey to visit for apartment hunting this weekend and would like your advice. I will be starting a job in Fairfield, NJ next month and am looking for a place to rent. It's important to me to live in a safe area close to a walkable downtown. Also, most of my social life is in New York City so I want to live somewhere with reliable weekend public transit to midtown or the path. I'd also prefer to be able to take local roads to work and to live where there are relatively more young people as I'm in my late 20's and have not driven for the last 10 years (live in the city without a car), but my priorities are safety and access to New York. The towns that stand out to me in my research are Summit, Montclair, and Madison. Are there any others I should consider? Perhaps Caldwell Wayne or Morristown?

My work is closest to the Montclair train line and I have heard that Montclair has a great downtown, but since I'll primarily be going to New York on the weekend I'm concerned that the Montclair train doesn't seem to run all the way on the weekends. Also, are the areas around Bay Street or Glen Ridge train stations safe? I am considering just driving down to the closest train station on the weekends but might be coming home by myself late at night. I know there is a DeCamp bus line but I'm not sure how convenient or reliable it is on weekends.

I've also been looking at towns along the Morristown line and just taking a longer commute to work. Summit seems to have a decent apartment inventory and frequent train service but I don't know how easy the commute would be. I have heard that Madison is very nice but the rental inventory seems to have fewer apartments and is more expensive. I have heard both good things and very bad things about Morristown in terms of safety so I guess I just need to check it out for myself but would like to hear any opinions.

Obviously my thoughts at this stage are still very amorphous but any input or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantmalamute View Post

My work is closest to the Montclair train line and I have heard that Montclair has a great downtown, but since I'll primarily be going to New York on the weekend I'm concerned that the Montclair train doesn't seem to run all the way on the weekends. Also, are the areas around Bay Street or Glen Ridge train stations safe? I am considering just driving down to the closest train station on the weekends but might be coming home by myself late at night.
Montclair is a great town. You're right, weekend train service on the Montclair line is very limited and only runs every couple hours. What you can do is drive to the train station in Orange which has hourly train service direct to NYC on weekends. I'm in West Orange and that's usually what I do. It's only a 30-minute train ride and you can drive to the Orange station in about 10 minutes from Bloomfield Ave. in Montclair. Be careful coming home late at night, but there are usually a lot of people getting off the train, and the conductors stand on the platform while everyone gets off, so it's not too bad.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
That's a bit of a tough one. The bus to Montclair is reliable, but the last one is around 12:45. Makes for an expensive cab ride if you're having fun. That's one thing CT and Westchester have on us. You could drive, but then it's a parking problem and you have to stay sober. Find a friend with an apt. in town.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 14,915 times
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I'm going to go look around tomorrow and see which area I like best overall.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM

22 posts, read 50,050 times
Default check out summit

summit is an awesome town.
there's a great train station with rental apts within walking distance.
very safe despite recent news.
lots of shopping. literally 5 min drive to short hills mall.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,764 times
Welcome fellow Canuck! I moved to NJ from Canada (Toronto), 13 years ago to the Montclair area. The schools and commute are great, though the price of homes is high when you take into account the taxes and principle. You can find less expensive areas, but they will be less convenient commute or the school test scores will often be lower, or both. You might also consider Glen Ridge, Maplewood/South Orange, Summit... there are many lovely towns within commuting distance of Manhattan by train. Please feel free to PM if you want to chat. Best of luck to you with the move and welcome, again!

Old 09-02-2015, 03:33 PM

472 posts, read 811,807 times
They all have downtowns except for Wayne. I'd personally go with Montclair, Summit, or Madison, but they're all expensive as you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey