Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,198,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
You are 100% right! I would also like my taxes back or whatever portion goes to cops and firefighters as well. Never used them so why should I pay for them. Not to mention I would like the money I pay for my health "insurance" back too because I have been very lucky and never used them either. Also whatever money goes into our defense systemsl. This country has fought too many wars that I am just not a fan of. When do I get that check. Maybe you can get your education taxes back and I will get my big fat check too. Cant wait!!
See, the thing is you don't know if you're going to need a cop or a firefighter or your health insurance. Ever. Not to mention you don't know if the military has protected you from anything....that you don't know about.

I don't need the public school system. I don't have to pretend that I do or there will ever be any situation where I will. I can always home school. I'm pretty sure my grandmother at the age of 90 isn't going to be using it or ever has either. But she still has to pay for it.

I received my property tax bill today. 62.76 % of it is going to "school taxes"

15.47% to county taxes.

16.34 % to municipal taxes.

Other taxes = 5.43%.

What's 62.76% of $15K? When you live on .78 acres and have to pay for water/sewage/garbage pick-up and hope you don't slam your s*** into a utility pole trying to get to work before the town sends a plow down your "off the main" road when it snows..and badly. It's ridiculous.

What's a teacher or school SI or BOE member going to save you from when your house/business is on fire or broken into or when you have an ear infu**tion?

The meager % that goes to municipal taxes, for those cops (FF are volunteers in my town and I don't know the ins and outs of how they are funded, but apparently not a hell of a lot if any of it is through tax $$) is pathetic.

Apples and oranges sunshine, apples and oranges.

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-28-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:35 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,402,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Isn't it ironic that the very one (bababua) who continually tries to defend his generous salary, great benefits/vacation package/pension all at the expense of the beat up taxpayer, has so much time in the day to post about it every day despite his supposed "hard" work?

40 hour workweeks must be nice. I haven't had one of those since 2001 on the private side.
Sucks to be you. A better career choice should have been made.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Isn't it ironic that the very one (bababua) who continually tries to defend his generous salary, great benefits/vacation package/pension all at the expense of the beat up taxpayer, has so much time in the day to post about it every day despite his supposed "hard" work?

40 hour workweeks must be nice. I haven't had one of those since 2001 on the private side.
I'm private and work 40 hours a week. Perhaps a new job is in order?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We pay their salary through THEIR innovation. If we want widgets, and they make good widgets, they can charge us more for them and make a higher profit. If they make a crappy widget, the company will go belly up and the CEO will lose his job. Again, the free market balances the universe. The SIs are not working within the free market. They get payed well no matter what.

Again:

CEO - We pay by choice. (or we DONT pay by choice)
Public Employee - We are forced to pay.

This is simple stuff. I dont know why it isn't sinking in.
I didn't realize you had a gun to head forcing you to live here.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 AM

18,409 posts, read 15,108,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I didn't realize you had a gun to head forcing you to live here.
That's not very realistic. I was born and raised here, not some Johnny-come-lately who comes to a place and tries to change it into what they want. Over my lifetime, I have watched the tax situation get worse and worse.

But you bring up an interesting point. Because of the non-free market nature of the public sector jobs, we cant choose NOT to buy the product, which is the easy fix to all problems in the private sector. We are left with only 3 options.

1. Do nothing and keep taking it up the status quo. (The 1st choice of the public sector.)

2. Leave the state. (Their second choice: only because they want to keep your tax dollars here.)

3. Speak out, and vote for people who will change things. (The public sector HATES this option.) Which is what is going on right now, right here, and across the state.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:08 AM

4,058 posts, read 4,099,049 times
With the type of services and efficiency we get from public sector, they should make more more than half what they are getting now. After all, they get FREE benefit and job security. Have they ever have a pay cut? I know I have and many of my friends have, except those who work in the public sectors.

I have few friends who works for the government, one of them have their salary double in 5 years in the same position. Almost 100k a year, 5 years after leaving college working for the public sector.

Another one who started at 45k and ended up over 60k in less than 2 years.

Here is the worst one, he moved a few times, all in the public sectors, and making over 100k in less than 5 years. How he did it? He told me, he make up **** in his resume and they don't even

These thing make me mad.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:54 AM

327 posts, read 879,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That's not very realistic. I was born and raised here, not some Johnny-come-lately who comes to a place and tries to change it into what they want. Over my lifetime, I have watched the tax situation get worse and worse.

But you bring up an interesting point. Because of the non-free market nature of the public sector jobs, we cant choose NOT to buy the product, which is the easy fix to all problems in the private sector. We are left with only 3 options.

1. Do nothing and keep taking it up the status quo. (The 1st choice of the public sector.)

2. Leave the state. (Their second choice: only because they want to keep your tax dollars here.)

3. Speak out, and vote for people who will change things. (The public sector HATES this option.) Which is what is going on right now, right here, and across the state.

Well said. However, with your 3rd point, there have been noted instances where voters turned down school budgets due to rising property taxes, only to be ok'ed by borough administrators (who also receive similar pay/benefits/pensions). What a surprise.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM

359 posts, read 1,094,494 times
nobody in town,county,or state should make more than the top man {the gov} gee do you think you cant find a school supt for a mear 150,000 plus bennies a year????? come on all the kids out there with 4/5/6 degrees cant do that job??????

Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM

327 posts, read 879,143 times
not just SI's teachers making out well despite poor grades as well..

from another post..

Administrative Salaries (from nj.gov site)

I counted 67 TEACHERS alone making over $100,000, just in this ONE district. Not administration/superintendents, TEACHERS - use the drop down box. This is just in Union City (ranked horribly).

.. this is BASE salary before great benefits/vacation packages/lifetime pensions

..and the media continues to portray teachers as making only 50k, lol. i wonder who paid off the media? maybe the teachers union who reap in $130MM annually?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey