Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 AM

342 posts, read 798,296 times

Advertisements

My family and I are heading to LBI this weekend for a sat to sat stay. Aside from the beach and the lighthouse I would love to hear from some locals as to the best things to see and do there. Any places to eat that we should definatly hit? We have a 3 year old too, what activities are there that we can enjoy with him. We will be in Beach Haven.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 AM

302 posts, read 2,230,961 times
Well, you're going to be right down the street from Fantasy Island amusement park, which is great for young kids.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Fantasy Island is IMO the best amusement area for little kids at the Jersey shore. As for dining, you HAVE to go to breakfast at the LBI Pancake House. It's one of the best breakfasts you'll come across and affordable to boot. Another decent place to eat for kids that is more of a lunch spot is Chicken or the Egg.

For dinner, you have to try the Dutchman's Brauhaus. It is the large restraunt located just off the causeway along the bay. They have a fantastic selection of German beer on tap and the views are great. If you read the reviews, some people hate it, some people love it. It is a little on the pricey side (but so is every restraunt in LBI with the exception of the Pancake House), but we have never had a bad meal there. No it is not 5 star fine dining, but the food was always good when we've been there.

Another spot to check out is the Spray Beach Inn. They are the only place I know of that has a beach club/cabana area right on the beach. It's a hotel, so I don't think you can get into everything they have like the pool, but you can head to their patio, beach bar and restraunt. My wife and I have eaten there before and the food was pretty good and it was a neat setup.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Rent a "surrey with a fringe on top" bikes. The 3 year old will sit in the basket in the front and will love it! There are also bay cruises that leave from Beach Haven. I'll edit my post with links when i have a moment.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM

thanks for all the great ideas, the surrey bike sounds like something he would love, any specific spots go get them from
pancake house sounds like a definate too, are there some mini golf courses on the island? and i have heard that at the amusement park fridays are pay one price and ride all the rides for children
is this true?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
thanks for all the great ideas, the surrey bike sounds like something he would love, any specific spots go get them from
pancake house sounds like a definate too, are there some mini golf courses on the island? and i have heard that at the amusement park fridays are pay one price and ride all the rides for children
is this true?
there is a place in BH for the bikes...i'll get it later.

there are a ton of mini golf places on LBI - I like the one in BH right near fantasy island.

yes, fri is POP. downside is it'll be crowded.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Faria's Surf & Sport - Taylor and Bay Ave - Beach Haven

Farias Surf & Sport: Rentals

I also forgot Thundering Surf - water park and the mini golf place I was talking about. They have a really good kiddie area.

New Jersey Water Parks Thundering Surf Water Park & Adventure Miniature Golf Amusement Parks Long Beach Island, New Jersey water parks at the Jersey Shore LBI

Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Alright, straight out of the LBI local horse's mouth:

Boat Rentals - This is an excellent way to spend a day on the bay doing some crabbing, and it's affordable. You don't need any licenses or anything like that. Just pay and go - they'll show you how to turn the engine on and steer if you're new at it. You go out with some crab traps and have a great time, then cook your catch at home. It's a good way to avoid another pricey dinner out as well. Try Causeway Boat Rentals right under the Causeway Bridge to the island at Causeway Marina (it's a huge marina, you can see it from the bridge). Tell them Dan from the fishing magazine sent you, they'll know who I am.

Another fishing-related activity is kid's fishing classes run by Oceanside Bait and Tackle. A woman named Val runs the shop and does these classes every summer. It's a wonderful activity for young kids, as they meet at the shop, then go down to the bay beach and learn to fish and crab. They use a seining net to catch all kinds of minnows and small fish, and at the end of the class the kids get to keep a net or crab trap for themselves. The staff does a wonderful job with it. Val is a friend of mine, so definitely mention Dan from the magazine if you go. It's $35 and they run them every Tues and Thurs.

http://www.oceansidebt.com/

There's also a new attraction right in Beach Haven... It's a "pirate ship" type boat that does sightseeing around the island. If you walk down Centre Street in Beach Haven to the dock at the end, it should be there. Capt. Frank Camarda runs it, as well as the Miss Beach Haven party fishing boat, which is another excellent option for a day of fun. If you want to go fishing, they have 4-hour ocean and bay trips. They give you the rods, bait, etc. and the mates are great with kids. Again, throw my name in there. (Damn, didn't realize how well known I was before this post... haha.)

As for restaurants, here are a few of my personal favorites:

Roberto's - Great Italian restaurant in Long Beach Twp., just a few minutes north of Beach Haven. It's one of our family's favorites, even though it's not as well known as some of the others. Not cheap, not overly expensive. BYOB.

Cafe Aletta - Excellent, excellent Italian and Mediterranean food on N. 5th St. and Long Beach Blvd. in Surf City. Everything is a la carte, though, so it can get a little pricey depending on what you order, but most portions are large. It's BYOB as well.

Tucker's - Right in Beach Haven, good variety of food all around, it's not overly fancy but that can be a good thing! It has a bar, too.

Dutchman's - As someone else mentioned, it's on Cedar Bonnet Island (a small island situated under the Causeway bridge) with stunning views of the bay. It's divided between the traditional German restaurant inside and a waterfront tiki bar outside. Cool place. Order a DAB German beer on tap - I always do!

M&M's Seafood: Wooden tables, ultra-casual, open-air. It's essentially a fish market with tables, but the food is really fresh and very, very good. Not particularly expensive. Right on the Boulevard in Beach Haven.

Aaaaaand, finally:

The greatest seafood restaurant at which you will ever eat - but be prepared to drive 20 minutes. "The Octopus's Garden" over the bridge on the mainland on Rt. 9 South in Mayetta. It takes a little bit to get there from Beach Haven but it is an amazing restaurant. The food is out of this world. BYOB, dinners are about $25 or so. Reservations are a must. It's well-worth the drive from Beach Haven.

ALSO:

Great for kids - check out The Show Place. Shore tradition, yes, but keeps up with the times. It's the famous "singing ice cream" parlour. Worth a trip.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 AM

dan-awesome advice, i am so appreciative and i will definatly mention your name thanks so much
my little guy loves fishing and this is his first ocean trip, we do lake, pond and stream fishing here in PA

Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM

205 posts, read 692,739 times
Just got back from LBI last week.

Fantasy Island: On Fridays from 2pm - 7pm, you can buy Ride Wristbands for $15 each and it is all you can ride (with the exception of the Roller Coaster Simulator which only takes tokens, but your little guy won't be big enough for it. In terms of crowd levels, we were at Fantasy Island on Thursday from around 7pm - 9pm and on Friday from around 3pm - 5:30pm and it was at least twice as crowded on Thursday night.

Bay Beach: This is a drive to the Northern part of the island, but in Harvey Cedars there is a roped off section of Bay Beach that is very shallow with no current. It is on the bayside (obviously) and I don't think you need a beach badge. My girls, age 5 & 6 liked it as a nice change of pace from the more challenging Ocean waves.

Panzone's Pizza: We ate here twice and it was very good.

Miniature Golf: There is a golf course just a block or so down from Fantasy Island.

On a Rainy Day: We had a rainy day and went to the Regal Cinema and watched Toy Story 3 (in 2D). The Google maps directions are incorrect... they say it is on 72 E but it is really on 72W in near KMart, I believe.

Playground: Ask around for area playgrounds. I am more familiar with the northern end of the island. I think the one we usually go to is in Harvey Cedars, on the bay side.

Hope you have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey