Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has anyone else had poor experience using the Yellow Pages phone books to advertise in?
The books did not deliever any calls 1 100.00%
The books were too expensive. 1 100.00%
They lost or messed up my seniority date in the book. 0 0%
They auto renewed my program without my written permission. 0 0%
They messed up my ad, i.e. wrong ad, phone number, bad copy, typo, etc. 0 0%
They created or moved a new heading in front of the main heading and didn't inform me, i.e. "air conditioning" to just "air" 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,463 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I need advice . Here is the deal I have been running a hardwood flooring company for the past 8 years since leaving the military, and it has been good. No real complaints, decent customers, a few steady accounts, I can pay my bills, and thank goodness no machine or vehicle issues. Have 1 truck, 2 machines and I'm planning on buying another truck in September. World keeps on spinning. Right?

Here is the part of the my situation that is ticking me off. My advertising!

When I first started out, it was straight bootstrapping. Church flyers, word of mouth, small publications, Penny Saver (thank heaven for Penny Saver), Star Ledger, Asbury Park Press, you get the idea.

Then in 2008 I signed up for 2 Yellow Pages phone books and also the Yellow Book. They Promised the Moon, Stars And Mars! "Tons of calls", they said, "Business out the wazoo", they said and till this day. I have received about 20 calls in 2 years!!! WTF! I did full color and the whole 9 yards, two headings in each book with coupons.

I have been paying this beast since the beginning, cause I needs me credit. The few calls I got were for quotes, price checks, and a few small jobs. Now before, I continue I will say I am a good salesman and closer. I landed about 12 of those for contracts.

Also, don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with free estimates, quotes and price checkers. On my other cheap-o-ads its cool and anticipated. Folks should be price conscious right? Of course, BUT WHEN I AM PAYING $2,200 BIG FACES...A MONTH. I need SOME GOOD JOBS. I like to eat lobster, steak and shrimp. I need to eat good. Right?

And it wasn't the ad either, phone number on the top, message displayed big and in color, not crammed etc and I had a special call tracking 800 number and a tracked local prefix number.

Lastly, to end this Yellow pages rant the book just dropped and they are already asking for a renewal commitment for 2011. I still see unwrapped books in some apartment and condo complexes. It makes me sick to my stomach.

(Takes a breath) Since, that is out of my system. I ask you all this, I have made a website with Dreamweaver. It looks good, search engine optimized, the whole bit.
But, I need a professional internet marketing company to hook me up with some good SEO, search engine marketing, and pay-per-click ads, so I can get up there nice and high on Google and Yahoo. I have a friend who uses adwords and he does fantastic. So well that he has dropped all his yellow pages and news papers. He kept a few small publications that really work, just to keep his name in the local public eye.

That being said, I have narrowed it down to How Do I Get A High Rank On Google! Welcome To WebsiteNJ.Com Where All We Do Is Get Websites To Rank High On Google and NJ SEO | NJ SEO Company | NJ SEO Expert | NJ Internet Marketing Services | NJ Web Design. Both seem to be on the up and up. I researched each online and they both offer similar services.

But, Websitenj.com has something I like, their prices are right there online for the world to see. No hiding and beating around the bush, I hate that. And they have gotten some good reviews online.

Has anyone done business with either of theses companies? Or can someone recommend another search engine marketing company that you may have dealt with in the past?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-26-2010, 06:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,356 times
I dont use the yellow pages. I get about 3 different versions each year (Verizon/AT&T) and it just gets tucked away. All my business research is done via the internet first or word of mouth. I suggest you scrape the yellow pages completely and yes go the google route. Im dont know how to get to the top of the search result lists, but im sure there are companies out there that can assist. That in itself might be costly. Advertise on Craigslist (free) and I know there are some websites that specialize in just company advertisements. I would put all my money in online advertising and skip the paper route.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 8,463 times
That is exactly what I am planning to do todd. I mean it's like when I see a yellow pages book, even a reference to the book in a tv show or movie. I just shake my head and exhale. I just put up an ad on craigslist, but you can only do it once. I tried to post in another city and it said post was too similar to another one. Hopefully it will bring in something though. I mean if its free its for me. Thanks for that info. I am going to meet with the engineer from Website NJ.com Hopefully they will let me know some good news.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,488 times
Nothing beats word of mouth for small local companies. I would go up and down the streets and drop business cards in people's mail slots. (You could hire someone to do it but they might just drop the cards in the garbage.) And put them at the local hardware stores. And make sure your truck has your phone no. on it. Our handyman wasted a lot of money fast on Google and got absolutely nothing out of it.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,300 times
For homeowner based service businesses get on Angies List and other service rating sites. Another good option I'd think is the company that sends out batchs of local coupons but for the life of me I am drawing a blank. Make sure your phone number is listed on google/superpages since often if you are not a Verizon customer Superpages ( my favorite place for telephone numbers) is not going to have you listed but you can add your own listing. I'd target new homeowners and would look at the Welcome Wagon if they have one in your town.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
check out ruckus marketing. it's a good friend of mine, and he works with a few local small businesses in NJ. hardworking guy. his website is ruckusmarketing.com and he'll do you right.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times
What are Yellow Pages?????

Old 08-19-2010, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,688 times
Default Good

Interesting information shared with useful and helpful ideas and good topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey