Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM

284 posts, read 616,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
175 K a year on Wall Street ????
A 25 yr old forex trader makes 10 times that.
my point exactly. Christie is capable making what he is paid. (I believed I read somewhere that the governor's salary is 175K)
On the other hand, I am not sure how many of the superintendents can find a comparable paying job outside of the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
but the prevailing wisdom from some (cough cough obrero, hee hee) that consolidation, thereby saving that money, would not reduce our taxes. it baffles me that cutting salaries will save money, but consolidation won't. LOL
Capping superintendents salaries won't make a substantial difference to the budget. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done, it means that there's a lot more work to do, and even measures that are really rather modest seem to result in a lot of squealing.

In terms of taxes -- in the long term, spending is directly related to taxes. Each dollar spent results in a dollar paid in taxes.

One of the reasons that cuts don't immediately lead to a lower taxes, is that not all budget items are expensed up-front. For example, even if they could lay off the entire state workforce today, they would still be on the hook for pension benefits and health care costs. While pensions are supposed to be fully funded, they never are (even under very generous assumptions, the NJ pension plan is only about 60% funded) So unfortunately, the decisions that will affect your level of taxation for the next several years have already been made by previous generations of "leaders".

Neither consolidation nor cutting a few fat administrative pay checks here and there really speaks to the size of the problem. That is why neither this nor consolidation will result in lower taxes.

Last edited by elflord1973; 07-27-2010 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Nah- I think the governor's salary is right in line with the duties/responsibilities of the position, and is probably similar to the salary for others in the same position in other states. Hell, I don't even have a problem with a superintendent of schools making $200k+, if we're talking about a superintendent of a large school district with hundreds/thousands of teachers and 25,000+ students- especially if it's a high-performing district. Where it gets baffling is when there are superintendents in places like Cresskill or Franklin Lakes (populations of approximately 8,000 and 10,000 respectively) making over $200k. I mean, really- Cresskill has 4 schools total (2 elementary, 1 middle, 1 high), and Franklin Lakes has 3 elementary and 1 middle (they share a high school with another town)- do they each really need a superintendent, and does that position have to pay $200k when much larger districts with far more schools and far more students often don't pay that much?

And people wonder why their taxes are so high......
You think whatever you want but the fact remains I know a few people who would do the job for half of the 175k. Sorry

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
I am all for privatization for the teachers' job. How many "bad" private schools? and how many "bad" public schools? Public employees do not guarantee good teaching.

As far as privatization of the governor's job is concerned, I am not sure whether the tax payers will get a better deal. Obvioulsy, there are people who is willing to be the governor at 60K per year, but will they be the right person on the job? I can see Christie easily gets 175K/year job in Wall Street.

But then a 60k per year teacher may not be worse than someone drawing 80K per year.
You are a genius or at least you seem to have all the answers. Why is it that 99.9% of "bad" school are in urban areas. Could it be that all teachers got together to ruin kids? Please do tell.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM

607 posts, read 958,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
You think whatever you want but the fact remains I know a few people who would do the job for half of the 175k. Sorry
And I know dozens of people who would play major league baseball for nothing... doesn't mean they can hit a curve ball, though

You comment is specious at best and has little to nothing to do with reality

Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 PM

327 posts, read 881,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
And I know dozens of people who would play major league baseball for nothing... doesn't mean they can hit a curve ball, though

You comment is specious at best and has little to nothing to do with reality
Agreed, he's another troll looking to beef up his pension.

You'd think he'd be spending more of his time to justify his salary and subsidized benefits/pensions paid by taxpayers by taking extra time to help his students.

Instead we get a barrage of daily posts from him to ensure his early retirement, on our dime.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM

284 posts, read 616,843 times
Quote:
You are a genius or at least you seem to have all the answers. Why is it that 99.9% of "bad" school are in urban areas. Could it be that all teachers got together to ruin kids? Please do tell.
Thanks. However, I believe only a very small group of people are geniuses, and I am not one of them.

I assume you don't think all teachers got together to ruin our kids, right?
What does it leave us? As I pointed out in seperate post, teachers in "good" districts are not necessarily better than teachers in "bad" districts. What difference does a teacher make? Again, I favor privatization of the teaching jobs.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
If the thougth behind privatizing jobs is to save money couldnt we get someone to do the job for half the salary? I am sure we could get someone in here to do it for say 60k. How do I propose this message to your majesty. Gracias
How do you privatize a position that gets staffed by the election process?

Who would perform the interviews? Every citizen that's eligible to vote?

Your proposal makes no sense to me.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:

I'd do it for FREE.

But I guess you aren't taken seriously if you do it for free...as the past has proven.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Agreed, he's another troll looking to beef up his pension.

You'd think he'd be spending more of his time to justify his salary and subsidized benefits/pensions paid by taxpayers by taking extra time to help his students.

Instead we get a barrage of daily posts from him to ensure his early retirement, on our dime.

Sorry to hear you are bitter. Better career choices are needed in you next life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey