Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
uh, hey guys? OP wants QUALITY..yet I see recommendations for places like IKEA, Bob's, Macy's (which is like Raymore and Flanigan which OP DOES NOT want).....just sayin'......
I have bedroom furniture that I bought at IKEA 10 years ago and it's still as good as new. If someone wants to waste an extra grand or two on what is seemingly "quality" then to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
uh, hey guys? OP wants QUALITY..yet I see recommendations for places like IKEA, Bob's, Macy's (which is like Raymore and Flanigan which OP DOES NOT want).....just sayin'......
I was just responding to what other people are recommending. Personally I shop at Macy's and have always thought that their quality was very good, better than Raymore and Flanigan but the general consensus is that they are on par with each other.

To be clear high End Furntiture shops which I would recommend are:

Ethan Allen
Huffman Koos
Bograds (Riverdale)
Perch Home (Maplewood)

Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have bedroom furniture that I bought at IKEA 10 years ago and it's still as good as new. If someone wants to waste an extra grand or two on what is seemingly "quality" then to each his own.
I don't doubt that for 1 minute. All I'm saying is that the OP doesn't want veneer and IKEA is veneer. I'm making no judgment on it, hell, i have some IKEA myself. But it's not what OP is looking for.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,153 times
Get antiques. There are antique stores everywhere and/or look for estate sales - you can even find them on Craigslist and Ebay. We got great DR chairs on Craigslist for around $25 each and I only regret that we didn't get the table that came with them instead of one of those veneered pieces of crap from Pier 1. And when I say crap - it's not the principle of it, it's the fact that the veneer is easily damaged and you can tell it's not a quality piece.

You can also get handmade farmer's tables from online crafstmen like these:
Amish Dining Room Tables | Large Dining Room Tables and Chairs
www.newenglandjoinery.com/handmadediningtables.html
Etc.

An antique store I've been to that had lots of antique dining sets is Granny's Attic in Ho Ho Kus. http://www.grannysatticnj.com/furniture.html

Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM

10 posts, read 26,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I was just responding to what other people are recommending. Personally I shop at Macy's and have always thought that their quality was very good, better than Raymore and Flanigan but the general consensus is that they are on par with each other.

To be clear high End Furntiture shops which I would recommend are:

Ethan Allen
Huffman Koos
Bograds (Riverdale)
Perch Home (Maplewood)

einstein moomjy is another one, on route 17.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
What about Ashley Furniture? I was in there a couple of days ago and they seemed to have a mix of veneered crap and then some seemingly quality pieces. However, I see nothing but BAD reviews (regarding quality and service) online. Also, they had a sales lady follow me around the store, HOUNDING me to make a choice and commit to a sale. Like I'm gonna decide to spend $3,000 in 15 minutes. Um, can I think about it first? Jeez.

I also looked at Suburban Furniture in Succasunna...seemed to have better quality than Ashley. There are less bad reviews for Suburban as well.

Anybody here have any experience with either of these retailers?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benh999 View Post
Looking for a quality dining room set. Most of the big chains (Raymour & Flanigan, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, etc) sell overpriced veneered junk. Anyone have any suggestions for a store that sells decent quality solid wood furniture with decent turnaround time for delivery?

Thanks.
Within those stores there are variations in quality, too. A friend of mine is a Raymour& Flanigan salesperson. I don't remember them all, but he was explaining to me one day which brands they carry are good quality and which are not.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times
I recommend Fireside Furniture on Route 23 near Wayne. We recently were looking for large dressers and looked for months in various places. This store had exactly what we wanted, exceptional quality, and was willing to cut us a deal. I'd go back to them if I needed high-end furniture again, definitely. Delivery was included and awesome--the delivery guys had to actually remove banisters in my home to get the dressers up the stairs and into the bedroom, and they did it with no complaints, damage, or hassle.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 15,771 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Not to disparage stores like Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel, but for a dining room table veneered furniture doesn't cut it for an expensive dining room table that will have (hopefully) thousands of meals eaten on it.

It looks like we are going to go with a set from Pompanoosuc for roughly the same price as what we looked at for veneered furniture from Ethan Allen and Pottery Barn.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 PM

205 posts, read 692,739 times
Rte. 4 in Paramus has a store that is both Thomasville and Drexel Heritage, and is next door to the Macy's Home Furnishings.

I visited a very nice store just yesterday in Montclair called Hampton House. They carry some higher end brands. I wasn't focused on dining room furniture, but they did seem to have a few. Montclair also seemed to have some smaller furniture stores within walking distance of HH, but we didn't stop in as I had to take my friend to the airport.

Good luck, maybe I will run into you furniture shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey