U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,688,937 times

Advertisements

Leaning towards pavers. Holland Stone in the Herringbone pattern. I Can't wait to have it over with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 PM

132 posts, read 610,458 times
On related decks/patio threads, I saw your For Sale post and its accompanied link. You have a beautiful home. The deck+patio are very nice.

Yes, prices are have escalated in the past year but often it is due to demand/supply. I've been doing my share of research on decks (PT, cedar, trex, timbertech, evergrain, etc) and am fully aware of staining or some type of maintenance....as well as patios with pavers which also require some type of upkeep. I have even inquired my township for the approx increase in taxes for a 20x20 deck. I am fine with either one (or both). Asking coworkers about their yards, looking thru the net for visuals, ideas, and staring at people's backyards when I drive by...LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM

12,285 posts, read 34,064,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
It's literally just for appearance/aesthetics. What it does do is prevent water from soaking into the pavers. However, concrete pavers are durable enough to withstand that water absorption even in freeze-thaw cycles (like NJ). The method that I use to install pavers completely prevents weeds from growing in the cracks, thus making the entire patio assembly 100% maintenance free, without exception.
ok, you gotta tell me how you do this . i have a 20'x42' patio, and I have stuff growing in between the pavers. I have barriers underneath (or whatever you call it), BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, the weeds "fly" through the air (again, whatever you want to call it, lol) and lands in between the cracks. I don't know how you can prevent this, as it has nothing to do with the prep and installation!

I have stuff germinating all over the place - I have 2 butterfly bushes that sprung up in my garden!! And I have sedum EEEVVVEERRRYWHERE!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,688,937 times
The people we spoke to about putting the patio in said the weeds will only come from what lands on top, not underneath. So when the grass is mowed you should sweep the patio off and use weed killer on anything that does pop up.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,849,015 times
Tahiti, that's a nice big patio. How long ago was the patio installed, and what did they use to sweep between the crevices?

Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 PM

12,285 posts, read 34,064,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Tahiti, that's a nice big patio. How long ago was the patio installed, and what did they use to sweep between the crevices?
about 4 years ago....i'm not sure what they used then, but now we're using sand (I mean, they used sand back then, but not sure if it was some special kind, KWIM?). is there some special sooper dooper sand that kills stuff when it lands on it?!? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:45 PM

3,858 posts, read 9,334,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
about 4 years ago....i'm not sure what they used then, but now we're using sand (I mean, they used sand back then, but not sure if it was some special kind, KWIM?). is there some special sooper dooper sand that kills stuff when it lands on it?!? Inquiring minds want to know!
It was probably "screenings" or what's left over at the quarry after they get done crushing rocks. It's basically stone dust-it doesn't really "kill" anything, it's just not conducive to growing.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:47 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,849,015 times
I can't share ALL of my secrets!! None of my patios that I've done have any weeds in the crevices, even after years and years. It's a combination of workmanship and the products that I use. I could take a looksy if you wish...you know how to reach me!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 PM

7,577 posts, read 21,575,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
One word..ok maybe 2 . Armor sand! It's amazing. It sets up like concrete but it's plyable enough to withstand a little heeving during the winter months. great stuff! Kill the weeds first... pull out the dead stuff then sweep in the armor sand. Make sure you get it all off the tops of the pavers before the next step..I used a paint brush. Then just sprinkle..mist..water over the top.

It's a litle tricky if your not a DIY person. You can always hire a great professional like tommy to install it : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>