Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yup, every pic I have I've already posted, so it won't let me post them again. It says, "you've already posted that photo in xxxxx thread". !! So what?? A picture can't be relevant in more than one thread!?? That's so silly...
Maybe because the system needs to re-upload it again. Space considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
I think this thread is more focused on suburban downtowns, but I'll post a few pics. I'm planning on walking around this weekend and snapping a few spring pics. The thing is, this site won't let you post a pic that you've already posted in another thread! Why is that? That's ridiculous.

Well if you are around Ninth across from hamilton park...snap me one of the brownstones....last residence for my great grand father who died in 1914

Old 04-17-2009, 02:14 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
Morristown's downtown is really nice. centered around "the green". during the winter it is lit up really nice with lights and whatnot. it has a fairly urban feel to it, though pretty small.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
Morristown's downtown is really nice. centered around "the green". during the winter it is lit up really nice with lights and whatnot. it has a fairly urban feel to it, though pretty small.

Have many memories around "the square", love Morristown.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM

An interesting couple of pics from Cranford website that shows approximately the same viewpoint of downtown - one from 1912 and the other from 2005.

The main difference ,besides the change in car types (!), is the presence of the Cranford Rolex town clock and its mini-park in the foreground in the pic from 2005

The interesection is basically the same, with North Union Ave going from right bottom to top and intersecting North Avenue (Rt 28, left to right); and in both pics, the Wachovia building dominates the back left side of the pics (it was called the Cranford Trust Building in 1912)

Notice also the police cubicle in the 1912 pic in the middle of the intersection. This was called the "Green Light Hotel" because it was inhabited by a cop. It was removed from there a few decades later because it was too dangerous for the policemen.

PS. It might just be me, but all the 1912 cars look exactly the same, probably the Ford Model T (?)

http://www.blueboard.com/temp/cranford_downtown3b.jpg (broken link)

http://www.blueboard.com/temp/cranford_downtown3.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Great pictures! That clock looks better than the small triangle and car park. I'm glad to see that Cranford trust is still around as is the three story building a few doors down to the right in the picture.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Great pictures! That clock looks better than the small triangle and car park. I'm glad to see that Cranford trust is still around as is the three story building a few doors down to the right in the picture.
Thanks...also, the triangular building in the center, which looks like is gone today, in the 1940s was occupied by the Reel Strong Coal Company.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 PM

Pedestrians scurry past the two halves of the Cranford Crossing complex, which dominate the southside downtown area of Cranford. A Blockbuster Video store is to the left of the picture.

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...1000050920.php

There is a lot of controversy currently dogging this complex, which towers above other structures in the area. It has struggled to fill the vacant store fronts and apartments in this time of national recession.

Recently, an artist group petitioned to create a Visual Arts Center along the first floor of one of the buildings.

Jersey Central Art Studios

Last edited by kalim2008; 04-18-2009 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
I think this thread is more focused on suburban downtowns, but I'll post a few pics. I'm planning on walking around this weekend and snapping a few spring pics. The thing is, this site won't let you post a pic that you've already posted in another thread! Why is that? That's ridiculous.
Tommy, there is an option that lets you attach an image by giving the URL. If you've already posted the images in another thread, you can just link to them. It's the "insert image" icon (the one that looks like a postcard, between the envelope icon and the "word bubble" icon).

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,245 times
Great pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey